Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
svensko
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
svensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymoresvensko is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to svensko
Everyone talks about the head being so restrictive on NA KAs. Has anyone considered trying to swap heads with other nissan four cylinder engines? I'm not sure if any of these would come close to fitting the KA without MAJOR work, but it's worth looking into at least. I googled but I couldn't find anything with the head "footprints" to be compared to the KA's "footprint". Hell, even head gaskets comparison might be enough to get a general idea. I may look more into this later today if I have more time.

If this idea is completely stupid, then please forgive me. Please note that NO I am not a machinist, NO I do NOT know how much work it would be to modify heads, so please don't lecture me on being ignorant, but please provide some sort of indication to the degree to which the heads do not match.

Some Nissan four cylinder heads that should be considered:

SR20DE
SR20VE (I've heard this head flows rediculously well)
FJ series
CA series
CG series
QR seies

Yes I'm aware that most of these heads probably flow much worse than the stock KA.

edit: Yes I realize that if a head does match and does flow better, then the next problem would be the timing chain, and cover, but one step at a time.