Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
doridoridori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wideband sensor location

I Have a quick question. So I have an no-name turbo downpipe, got a AEM UEGO and normally I figure to put the wideband where they have the O2 sensor bung, it goes right in of course. Recently someone was telling me that they mount the wideband further down the pipe and not too close to the turbo while i've read that some say it doesn't matter. I had never heard people mention putting the wideband bung further down the pipe before. Is it really that serious or will it read the same? I'd like to understand why, any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!
doridoridori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I usually drill out and weld the sensor bung to the downpipe in the straight section before the cat/test-pipe flange near where the tranny meets the block. For me, this had the most appropriate space to angle the sensor properly to reduce condensation... it's where I've mounted my personal AFR-500 4.9 sensor in my daily, and works for me...

The stock location, right off the turbo, can generate too much heat and a wideband sensor WILL NOT last as long, although the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors are supposed to be more tolerant...

For a permanent installs, there's always some compromises, so a little further downstream from excessive heat will greatly improve the life of the sensor. Just pay attention to the angle the sensor is mounted, as advised in the AEM manual...

If you tell me which UEGO you got, I can add that to your base map, BTW and turn on closed loop for you if you want.
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
keep the wideband away from the turbo. high temperature changes the reading. It will read rich when it is lean if it gets too hot.

pay attention to the installation instructions. Follow the instructions.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfellini View Post
I usually drill out and weld the sensor bung to the downpipe in the straight section before the cat/test-pipe flange near where the tranny meets the block. For me, this had the most appropriate space to angle the sensor properly to reduce condensation... it's where I've mounted my personal AFR-500 4.9 sensor in my daily, and works for me...

The stock location, right off the turbo, can generate too much heat and a wideband sensor WILL NOT last as long, although the Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors are supposed to be more tolerant...

For a permanent installs, there's always some compromises, so a little further downstream from excessive heat will greatly improve the life of the sensor. Just pay attention to the angle the sensor is mounted, as advised in the AEM manual...

If you tell me which UEGO you got, I can add that to your base map, BTW and turn on closed loop for you if you want.
roger that thanks for the info i'll shoot you a pm about that
Old 04-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
keep the wideband away from the turbo. high temperature changes the reading. It will read rich when it is lean if it gets too hot.

pay attention to the installation instructions. Follow the instructions.
thanks for the info, on an old turbo setup i had before i ran it right off the O2 sensor and had detonation when the afr's read perfectly fine this would explain a lot. Granted back then I had never knew about the wideband being too close being a bad thing so this definitely is good to know now.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AEM states it should be 36" from the turbo.

(see page 8 of this pdf)
http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/...GO%20Gauge.pdf
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Typical wideband placement is 24" down stream of the turbo outlet. You can buy a heatsink if you choose to place the wideband closer to the turbo.. I have my wideband installed 8" from the outlet of my turbo and it has not caused any issues thus far. I'm not saying it's correct, but it has worked for me and there are many others that have run their WO2's inside of the recommended lengths.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you read the instructions?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Typical wideband placement is 24" down stream of the turbo outlet. You can buy a heatsink if you choose to place the wideband closer to the turbo.. I have my wideband installed 8" from the outlet of my turbo and it has not caused any issues thus far. I'm not saying it's correct, but it has worked for me and there are many others that have run their WO2's inside of the recommended lengths.

I see, yea i think i'll run it further away when i get to the point where I get the exhaust finished up. I'll order a weld in bung and place it further back
Old 04-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #10
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
Did you read the instructions?
lost the box between moving so i couldnt at the time
Old 04-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Heat is the reason. So depending on the fuel or egt, ie. race gas etc. should determine the distance beyond the recomended 18in down stream from turbo. Also there is a angle requirement as well. I believe these are mainly for permanent installs. One run shouldn't need an additional bung welded in duh.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
Heat is the reason. So depending on the fuel or egt, ie. race gas etc. should determine the distance beyond the recomended 18in down stream from turbo. Also there is a angle requirement as well. I believe these are mainly for permanent installs. One run shouldn't need an additional bung welded in duh.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
well in order to place it further downstream i would need an additonal bung, why wouldn't i?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
If you are not permanently mounting the sensor, because you just want to tune or verify afr's or to just be a cool guy and feel what its like to have a wb afr gauge.

Ps those reasons are also listed in the manual that you were to lazy to look up the instructions for.[emoji41]

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #14
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
If you are not permanently mounting the sensor, because you just want to tune or verify afr's or to just be a cool guy and feel what its like to have a wb afr gauge.

Ps those reasons are also listed in the manual that you were to lazy to look up the instructions for.[emoji41]

Yeah the manual is freely available on the aem website with info on proper mounting and wiring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:03 AM   #15
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

well in the event the sensor goes bad over time it would make sense to be able to loosen it than to have to cut through a weld to remove it and I wasn't too lazy, i wasn't aware, also why would they provide a bung if they didn't feel it was necessary? lol c'mon man