Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Thumbs up → → → Help : Traction Control Options ← ← ←

For the serious car builders,

What kind of traction control setup are you using?

I've been wanting the race logic system, but they have gone out of business.

If you can shed some light or some recommendations on a traction control setup. I would highly appreciate it and shoot you some cash to cover some beers over paypal for the assistance if I end up going that route.

I'm currently on a PFC for my JZ 240sx. I love my power fc and the fact I have my buddy who specializes in tuning for just that platform.

I would like to keep the PFC if possible, but might have to jump over to the INFINITY or Pro EFI if there aren't any independent options as far as traction control goes.

Somebody change my mind!

Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Well I know it's kinda the easy way out but with the apexi boost controller it can do boost by gear I mean it's not a full 8 dial traction Control but if it's 1st and 2nd and third you aren't getting traction in would help tremendously... I'm sure both of you discussed that option tho.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Motec would be the solution.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
AEM Infinity with front and rear wheel speed input from the oem ABS sensors.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Greddy Profec E01 can help with RPM and Speed.... but other than that you gotta switch to different system
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
There are two kinds of traction control systems I am aware of

One is reducing power for traction

the other is increasing traction with no loss of power

Usually you go with the first one because its alot easier to reduce power. If the engine is DBW this is how factory cars do "traction control" in a majority of situations is simply reduce throttle position. The engine can also be made to accelerate more smoothly using a gradual throttle opening program which helps traction as well.

Which brings us to the subject of boost control. If traction is an issue and you don't have DBW the next best thing is boost control. Use a controller that will allow you to assign duty cycle VS speed conditions (stand-alone like haltech, and apexi avcr are some familiar units) and you would dial in the boost ramp so the tires don't spin.

Finally there are many ways to pull timing for torque reduction. Simply reduce timing in the areas of the map where you are having wheel spin.

If your goal is to improve traction without reducing power this is still done in conjunction with a mild boost ramp and other tricks as to not "shock" the tire with sudden torque. You want the torque to come in gradually. The best way to increase dry traction without reducing power is to use a better tire. Plenty of cars launch just fine that go 5 seconds or whatever with the right tire. If you are stuck with street tires there are two other small options. One is weight transfer mechanisms which involves suspension design to help put the weight of the vehicle "into" the rear tire so it doesn't spin. The other is once moving, downforce is an option to help plant the rear at higher speeds, but it consumes power.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #7
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
Well I know it's kinda the easy way out but with the apexi boost controller it can do boost by gear I mean it's not a full 8 dial traction Control but if it's 1st and 2nd and third you aren't getting traction in would help tremendously... I'm sure both of you discussed that option tho.
Thanks for bringing that up.

Its been floating in my mind, but sort of a last resort option pending my timelines and what hook-ups I can utilize to bring build costs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
There are two kinds of traction control systems I am aware of

One is reducing power for traction

the other is increasing traction with no loss of power

Usually you go with the first one because its alot easier to reduce power. If the engine is DBW this is how factory cars do "traction control" in a majority of situations is simply reduce throttle position. The engine can also be made to accelerate more smoothly using a gradual throttle opening program which helps traction as well.

Which brings us to the subject of boost control. If traction is an issue and you don't have DBW the next best thing is boost control. Use a controller that will allow you to assign duty cycle VS speed conditions (stand-alone like haltech, and apexi avcr are some familiar units) and you would dial in the boost ramp so the tires don't spin.

Finally there are many ways to pull timing for torque reduction. Simply reduce timing in the areas of the map where you are having wheel spin.

If your goal is to improve traction without reducing power this is still done in conjunction with a mild boost ramp and other tricks as to not "shock" the tire with sudden torque. You want the torque to come in gradually. The best way to increase dry traction without reducing power is to use a better tire. Plenty of cars launch just fine that go 5 seconds or whatever with the right tire. If you are stuck with street tires there are two other small options. One is weight transfer mechanisms which involves suspension design to help put the weight of the vehicle "into" the rear tire so it doesn't spin. The other is once moving, downforce is an option to help plant the rear at higher speeds, but it consumes power.
Looking into a reputable independent fuel cut based T/C system.

Launch control, data logs, and the typical additions would be great.

I'm more worried about my rear breaking loose while I am full throttle into a high g corner. I was hoping that a quality traction control system would allow me to more balance out the power of my vehicle. I enjoy having the peace of mind while pushing a vehicle to its highest potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Greddy Profec E01 can help with RPM and Speed.... but other than that you gotta switch to different system
Could be. Just a little outdated for current setup.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
AEM Infinity with front and rear wheel speed input from the oem ABS sensors.
Yeah. Appreciate your chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Motec would be the solution.
Its always been on my options list. Just can't justify the price tag plus re-configuring my setup that works.

Might have to just take the kick in the wallet
Old 01-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Mogli, supposedly the new Greddy Boost MAP meter can map based on gear, rpm, speed, and other optional stuff.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
SR Powah

Trader Rating: (0)
SR Powah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are worried about corners, I would lean more towards mechanical grip or downforce assuming a track setting. Most traction control systems kicking in will cost you seconds on the track compared to a driver that knows the cars limit.
SR Powah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 AM   #10
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
If you're looking for active traction control as a piggy back system you're gonna have a bad time. There's some stuff out there that pro mod dudes like but its like riding an Amish buggy relative to any actual motorsports ecu

Dont get me wrong I love the Power FC more than anyone, but you're looking for big kids functions on scootypuff jr hardware.

Link is probably your best bet for budget active traction control.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
There are some guys who race dirt cars that are using Davis Technologies. Davis offers specific models to what you are racing and some are self learning and require no sensors
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Verteen View Post
There are some guys who race dirt cars that are using Davis Technologies. Davis offers specific models to what you are racing and some are self learning and require no sensors

3000$ for a passive traction control box that won't work with a power FC is a bad time.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I know RaceLogic doesn't produce their TC systems anymore, but have you thought of trying to find a used system? Maybe swing over SXOC.com forums and put a feeler out. RaceLogic still supports the TC systems, but if you buy used you'll have to pay them.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote