Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #6661
lg54
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey guys i have a question. Just got wisefab front kit but have no clue how to adjust ackerman. I have the ackerman spacers but cant figure out where they go and how to put them and how to set them up
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #6662
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motary View Post
It was increased because the value decreases a lot with lowering, going to pro squat.
Thanks for the answer. I see you suggest they work best with the S14 subframe. In my situation (SCCA Street Modified) I can't use conversion bushings for the S14 subframe on my S13. So between a S14 subframe with rubber bushings and a S13 subframe with solid bushings, what would be the best compromise?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:39 AM   #6663
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Seems like a good basic setup. You'll find a lot of people run something similar.

The want is so strong:

Interesting that Robbie@TDP doesn't feel the need for anti-roll bars front or rear for drifting. I'm not sure if it's just a ride height thing or if it's genuinely not needed. My car feels awesome right now, but it's 4x4 at the moment. It'll be interesting to feel it at it's summer ride height.
Drifters i know in the french championship remove the roll bars at the front because it rubs on the wheels.

Also, considering they do not corner weight the cars (and they crash more often than regular race cars), using roll bars cause the suspension to preload and make the car unpredictable. So they don't use them. They counter roll with springs.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #6664
Motary
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Motary is making a name for him/her selfMotary is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Motary
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
Thanks for the answer. I see you suggest they work best with the S14 subframe. In my situation (SCCA Street Modified) I can't use conversion bushings for the S14 subframe on my S13. So between a S14 subframe with rubber bushings and a S13 subframe with solid bushings, what would be the best compromise?
What does the rule say specifically?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #6665
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
The rule explicitly prohibits offsets bushings to mount a subframe.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #6666
sil14zenki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
sil14zenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Has anyone actually measured these Megan Racing ball joints?
I see them everywhere and was just wondering if they just spaced the ball joint up.
I know for the price and quality its better to go with something like Moonface.
just wondering if anyone has actual proof. maybe a side by side picture
Old 02-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #6667
relaxamigo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
relaxamigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
recommendations on a tie rod setup on an s13 with a 15mm extended lower control arm?

I had teins on my last car and I loved the spacer, but I'm not sure if they will work with the FLCA extension.

thanks!
relaxamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #6668
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Can SM relocate suspension mounting points? If you can, just drop the front RLCA mounting point down around 3/4-1" and it's about the same geometry.

It's faster than an S13 subframe, with much better traction on corner exit.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #6669
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
Can SM relocate suspension mounting points?
No, you can't.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #6670
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan eighty View Post
recommendations on a tie rod setup on an s13 with a 15mm extended lower control arm?

I had teins on my last car and I loved the spacer, but I'm not sure if they will work with the FLCA extension.

thanks!
If you only have 15mm extension on both sides, I would just suggest tein inners/outers or moog outers, and then pick yourself up a rack spacer.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #6671
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
No, you can't.
I would probably do the S14 subframe then with stiffer rubber bushings.

I wonder if you can get things to seat up with energy suspension urethane bushings. Might be enough compliance, might not.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #6672
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I would probably do the S14 subframe then with stiffer rubber bushings.

I wonder if you can get things to seat up with energy suspension urethane bushings. Might be enough compliance, might not.

Highly doubt it. You'll push the center pins out and never get them back in when you're trying to put the subframe back in the car.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #6673
Def
Post Whore!

You could drill the ES bushing to give it compliance in that direction. Then hopefully things are mostly locked up once it's on there.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #6674
Def
Post Whore!

And I don't mean make an offset bushing, I mean drill a compliance hole on the side of the bushing that is compressed, so that it can more easily get distorted into that shape.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #6675
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Yeah I see what you're saying. A liberal reading of the rules
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #6676
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

There's also Jason Merritt's solution. Maybe that plus an ES "compliance" bushing would be best.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #6677
relaxamigo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
relaxamigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissansota240 View Post
If you only have 15mm extension on both sides, I would just suggest tein inners/outers or moog outers, and then pick yourself up a rack spacer.
Thanks man! s13 or s14 outers?

EDIT: Just read on tein's site that only S14 outers will thread into the tein inners
relaxamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #6678
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
There's also Jason Merritt's solution.
What's going on with this? How are the bushings modified?
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #6679
e1_griego
Post Whore!

They aren't modified, just using the deflection in the rubber to mount s14 subframe to s13 chassis.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #6680
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
They aren't modified, just using the deflection in the rubber to mount s14 subframe to s13 chassis.
Well he has that added metal piece making the mount "solid", no?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #6681
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Not at all.

There is a metal retaining cup stock that does exactly the same thing. That's just a flat piece of metal instead.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #6682
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Hmmm, guess I'm just forgetting how the stock bushings are, I went solid a while ago.

He refers to them as solid though:
http://nissanroadracing.com/showpost...25&postcount=2
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #6683
e1_griego
Post Whore!

he got 2nd at Nats last year and his car is built to the rules.

Lemme txt him and see if he'll reply here. Or you could send him a PM or something.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #6684
kapower
Leaky Injector

kapower is an unknown quantity at this point
I effectively solid mounted my subrame pictured above by modifying the mounting hardware and not the bushings. I believe that some people deflect the inner metal spacer then weld it to the subrame off center.

. I'm OK with any sort of modification, but straight solid aluminum bushings are specifically not allowed. I think the intent of the rule is to prohibit relocating your subrame, and i think it should be re-worded. In the spirit of street modified I believe all popular modifications performed on popular street cars should be allowed. The intent of street mod is as a recruitment class for the younger generation that drive popular modified cars that don't fit into other street classes.

Jason M
kapower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #6685
RumInDaCoconut

RumInDaCoconut is an unknown quantity at this point
u guys seen the new lock kit gktech has in the works

one piece lca/tension rod , their new knuckle, and offset tophat

love you guys keep this thread rollin
RumInDaCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #6686
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
he got 2nd at Nats last year and his car is built to the rules.

Lemme txt him and see if he'll reply here. Or you could send him a PM or something.
Yeah, I never said that I thought the bushings themselves were solid, just that he "solid" mounted it. I wasn't trying to accuse him of breaking the rules. By "them" I meant his mountings, not the bushings, sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapower View Post
I effectively solid mounted my subrame pictured above by modifying the mounting hardware and not the bushings. I believe that some people deflect the inner metal spacer then weld it to the subrame off center.

. I'm OK with any sort of modification, but straight solid aluminum bushings are specifically not allowed. I think the intent of the rule is to prohibit relocating your subrame, and i think it should be re-worded. In the spirit of street modified I believe all popular modifications performed on popular street cars should be allowed. The intent of street mod is as a recruitment class for the younger generation that drive popular modified cars that don't fit into other street classes.

Jason M
Thanks for the reply. So how is your setup more effective than the metal cup that greigo mentioned? And yes, I agree, pretty silly that we can't use a simple bushing to allow us to install a semi-common modification.

Love your build btw and hope to see you at nationals someday when my car is done and I'm (hopefully) a better driver. I'm aiming for next year currently.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #6687
sr23det
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
sr23det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
anyone having good results with the gktech rear knuckles? Bummed out not getting to drive tomorrow. Had my rear suspension apart for 4 weeks now in anticipation for mines
sr23det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #6688
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i've heard great things about them so far.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #6689
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can anyone with personal experience regarding an S14 to S13 rear subframe swap comment on its improvements?
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #6690
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I know, this does not answer your question at all, but you need to think about this before doing anything.

There are LOADS of mods to do that will give a better handling before that, and if you plan on competing, some classes don't allow this mod.

Basically the s14 subframe has less antisquat, but antisquat is dynamic and you already remove some by lowering the car. I think the TDP rear suspension kit actually adds antisquat...

Unless you already have quality suspensions, ball joints everywhere, front knuckle kit, sticky tyres and on and on (or are planning to), this really would be a waste of time.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote