Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #211
HakosukaGTR

Trader Rating: (0)
HakosukaGTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What I plan on doing in the next few years is actually traveling to Japan, so that I can test drive the R32 GTR before i buy it and find the correct one i would want and i would be able to speak with the exporter in person and check everything out in person. Also i've always wanted to go to Japan.
HakosukaGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #212
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would be happy to own this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tHrOz2opA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2EwSpLqfVA

This is a pretty good thread, guy imports 72 skyline
Japanese Nostalgic Car • View topic - How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT
HyperTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #213
RHDAmerica
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (13)
RHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of lightRHDAmerica is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^^^Those are actually pretty cheap and easy to import.
RHDAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #214
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Vehicle Importation: Understanding the 25 Year Old Rule
HyperTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #215
Danial
Zilvia Member

Danial is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLove View Post
fixed. you can only capitalize countries that the world takes seriously.

but you have to deal with......canada.

Sincerely,

Can hear the waves and smell salt water from my backyard.
lol love canada jokes
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #216
SHIFT_LOVE

SHIFT_LOVE is an unknown quantity at this point
just digging up an old thread,
what if

i had a grey market vehicle, but when i got it from japan it had no title or any of that stuff, when it turns 25 years old, could i then register it or would it be impossible because i dont have any of the importation paperwork other than a bill of sale from the seller i bought it from in california, its just a track vehicle for now, but in the future id like to take it out on the road, and i dont want to do anything shady, i also dont want to de vin a 240 for this car...
SHIFT_LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #217
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
The 25 year exemption only applies to vehicles that were imported after they reached that age (year and month). Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to register your car under that exemption. You could always sell it and then import one that qualifies?

In the past we've shipped older Land Cruisers to a few customers in the US and the documentation they've needed to get their vehicles registered, plated and on the road was the following:

1. Customs Form #### (can't recall the number off the top of my head)

This shows that the vehicle cleared customs and when. It is important in determining whether it was imported before or after it was 25 years old.

2. Japanese Export/De-Registration

Provides information about the vehicle and proof of ownership.

3. NHTSA Form HS-7

Essentially declares that the vehicle is 25+ years old and exempt from federal safety standards.

4. EPA Form 3520-1

Essentially declares that the vehicle is 25+ years old and exempt from federal emission standards.

States are different and may require more paperwork/documentation or less. We're trying to figure out California right now and we're at the point where we're about to give up because the ARB inspection seems to be an impossible impasse. California recognizes that it's federally legal to own a 25 year old JDM vehicle, but they're not going to give you plates. I'm sure there are work-arounds, but we're only interested in doing things by the letter of the law. I think to be exempt it California the car has to be a 1976 model or older.

Another thing to consider for people getting ready import is getting your car insured. You may be surprised at the rates your insurance company will want to charge. We've heard that Geico is a good option.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #218
SHIFT_LOVE

so pretty much id have to do something shady involving an s13 and a saw's-all? or when its 25 years old there no need to worry about it getting seized and crushed and i can just kit car title it, its not a cheap car, and the amount of work thats been done to it was cheap, so yea, also, thanks for the fast ass reply
Old 11-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #219
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

I'm not very versed on the tricks used to register non-exempt cars. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it considering how many JDM vehicles are in the US right now. However, I would be concerned about driving one on the street if a "loophole" was used to get it registered/insured. There could be major liability issues.

I heard a story of someone bringing in a Pulsar GTi-R and using the VIN from the USDM Pulsar to register and insure it. He ended up getting in an accident in which he was declared at fault. They figured out what he had done and his car was seized and the insurance company would not cover the liability for the accident, which was over six figures, because of the method he used to register/insure the vehicle wasn't above board.

With grey market imports that weren't imported under the 25 year rule exemption there is more than just the concern of having it seized if you drive it on the street. You have to consider insurance liability as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #220
SHIFT_LOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
With grey market imports that weren't imported under the 25 year rule exemption there is more than just the concern of having it seized if you drive it on the street. You have to consider insurance liability as well.
i have other vehicles, but im just thinking of you know, once in a blue moon taking my car to work, or to the store or something, instead of it being track only, it has a full roll cage, so i dont want to drive it on the street with a helmet all the time, cause if i get hit, im gonna smash my head on a bar, and thats a bigger problem than just money.

basically i dont want to live in constant fear of the gov seizing my dream car...ill track it, and keep it low profile (IE not saying i have an xxx on an internet forum), and i dont plan on driving it on the street for years (maybe), but one day i know im going to want to when im done going to events, cause i plan on keeping this thing the rest of my life, but i dont plan on racing the rest of my life, so maybe one day the cost of a crashed s14 or s13 wont scare me off too bad, as long as i stay low and slow and avoid traffic or the highway or dumb driving i should be fine

alternatively, in texas you can register kit cars, i have a friend with an r33 that has done this, it seems really sketchy to me, because youre actively putting your information out there that you own a grey market vehicle, but its another route, i suppose i could do the same thing then, use my cars vins, show receipts for a junk yard s chassis car and a motor and all that jazz and id be good to go, just say i built it from the sub frames of a 240sx, and then custom body work, motor etc
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #221
Arsenal240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Arsenal240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
On the CA DMV website I found this. It talks about Direct Import vehicles and requirements for registering.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch12/ch12_15.htm
I dont really understand why anyone would think CA is screwed if there are Skylines already registered in the state. Id like to wait it out and get an R33 eventually.
Arsenal240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #222
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal240sx View Post
On the CA DMV website I found this. It talks about Direct Import vehicles and requirements for registering.
12.070 Direct Import Vehicles (H&SC ยง39024.6)
I dont really understand why anyone would think CA is screwed if there are Skylines already registered in the state. Id like to wait it out and get an R33 eventually.
Just because they are registered doesn't meant they were done above board. Why bother paying a premium for a 1989 Skyline because it is "Federally Legal" and then using some quasi-legal method or loophole to register it.

The issue with California, from the research we've done is the Air Resources Board. Direct Imports newer than 1976 require an ARB inspection (separate from SMOG from how I understand it) which is both expensive and hard, if not nearly impossible for a Skyline to pass.

Obviously there are ways around this. If there were not, there would be no registered Skylines as you mention. California can deny you the right to legally import a 25 year old car, it is federal law. However, they can certainly make it difficult to register and plate it.

Trust me, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong about the difficulties in California. We get plenty of request for Skylines from California residents and it's a big disappointment to tell them what we've learned up to this point.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #223
Arsenal240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (9)
Arsenal240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
"Evidence of compliance with U.S. EPA and/or California emission standards. Any of the following are acceptable:
  • A U.S. EPA and/or California emission label affixed to the vehicle.
  • A Certificate of Conformance issued by a laboratory licensed by the ARB. No smog certification is required if this document is submitted for original registration.
  • A letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle complies with U.S. FMVSS and U.S. Emissions requirements (usually only attainable for Canadian vehicles)."
Maybe Nissan will give me a letter? Lol
Arsenal240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #224
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
guys guys guys!!! what about the important parts to replace(like windshield and glass)??? I mean the engines you can swap and use other parts from z32's and Sentra's etc. but the body panels. those are going to be hard to com by.

a smart idea is instead of just selling the car would be making replacement body parts avail. what about weather stripping?? that would also be a good service to offer. none is addressing these important issues.

unless iam missing something and the s14 windshield can fit on a r32???
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #225
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I honestly don't see the problem. You would import that shit like everything else. Expensive cars to own. They replace that stuff in japan. So you just get it shipped over and replace it. Just like anything else, pretty simple. If its not available OEM then surely there is a aftermarket somewhere. If not then your fucked. Same as over here. You either get lucky on a part out or junkyard. Which then you would just have to have someone willing to do leg work for you over their. Everything can be done if you have the cash to pay for time/products.

I'll put it to you this way, if you are importing the car and spending a good majority of your savings (if not all) just to have your "dream" car, then you're doing it wrong. Don't look at the sole price of the car and getting it here. Tack on at least another 10g's just to "somewhat" restore it if things go wrong. That is why you want to find a car that is structurally sound. You want clean interior, no rust, all glass not cracked, not huge body damage etc. Motor(to an extent), wheels, brakes, seats, bumpers etc shouldn't be to much of a worry. As most people probably have plans to modify/replace those things anyways. It's no different than buying a 240 here. You want the things that usually are not replaced to be as mint as possible(dash, interior paneling etc). While some of the other areas can be in junk condition because you are going to replace with something better anyways. At least, that is the way I would go about it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #226
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post

I'll put it to you this way, if you are importing the car and spending a good majority of your savings (if not all) just to have your "dream" car, then you're doing it wrong. Don't look at the sole price of the car and getting it here. Tack on at least another 10g's just to "somewhat" restore it if things go wrong. That is why you want to find a car that is structurally sound. You want clean interior, no rust, all glass not cracked, not huge body damage etc. Motor(to an extent), wheels, brakes, seats, bumpers etc shouldn't be to much of a worry. As most people probably have plans to modify/replace those things anyways. It's no different than buying a 240 here. You want the things that usually are not replaced to be as mint as possible(dash, interior paneling etc). While some of the other areas can be in junk condition because you are going to replace with something better anyways. At least, that is the way I would go about it.
Pretty much... That's what I did while looking at Japanese auction for a car. I tried to find the best grade car that was in my budget. I also knew that you have to pay to play, so I wasn't shocked to see what a clean representation of the model I was interested in would cost (there).

You should always have a contingency plan for projects in general. I put some extra money aside for general maintenance services, but the importer I used, had done a bunch already for me as a part of their package.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #227
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
demonspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dumb question I know but since this 25 year rule is now in effect, does that only include only cars or motors as well? Is the RB20 and the SR20 now a legal swap?
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #228
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I think your car needs to be at least 25 years old in most states to be exempt from inspection. There are a few loop holes you gotta jump through to not have to worry about your swaps.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #229
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
demonspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hmm...im not worried about it I was just curious. I live in a smog exempt county...all i need is turn signals and brake lights lol!
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #230
240Cali
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (4)
240Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
So0o0o0o0 long ass story made short... Money talks yes.. 25 yr old law yes But CALI will always be shit out of luck? man I need to move away from here no joke