Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Bleakley is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
T28 Compressor on S13 T25

I have a blown T25 and I do not want to reuse the compressor wheel because it was left to scrape the housing...
I would LOVE to upgrade to an S15 GT28R but unfortunately, at this time, I do not have the cash to spend on the necessary upgrades to support that (injectors, tune, etc.) on top of the cash I have already poured in recently.

An option that looks enticing, but I am not finding too much definitive information on is:
Rebuilding my stock S13 T25 with a G-POP kit.
Buying a GT2560R 0.60 A/R compressor housing and wheel and adding it onto the stock T25 being as the hot side is the same anyways.
(I am aware of balancing issues and blah blah. Do not really care as it will not be on the car for too long..)

I would rather do this then source a used T28. 1) It gives me the experience of rebuilding a turbo. And 2) I have a nice rebuilt turbo that will give my S13 a small kick in the ass..

Will this work just fine? Will I need a tune (don't really think so. Yeah, it'd be nice/ great but is ot necessary? Only ~30hp increase)
Bleakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Dirk Jan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of lightDirk Jan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, you basically answered your own questions. Your plan could work out fine, but depending on balancing and how badly the components not included in the rebuild kit will be worn (shaft+housings) the turbo could die prematurely. Is the turbine housing still intact? Most of them crack near the wastegate.

There are tons of people running T28/GT28R/GT2560R's on stock ECU's with stock pressure, so you should be fine. 30HP increase might be a bit optimistic though.
Dirk Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
Well, you basically answered your own questions. Your plan could work out fine, but depending on balancing and how badly the components not included in the rebuild kit will be worn (shaft+housings) the turbo could die prematurely. Is the turbine housing still intact? Most of them crack near the wastegate.

There are tons of people running T28/GT28R/GT2560R's on stock ECU's with stock pressure, so you should be fine. 30HP increase might be a bit optimistic though.
Yes, premature wear may be inevitable. The housings themselves, to my knowledge, will not cause premature wear, so that is nulled..
Turbine housing appears to be in good/decent shape.
The ONLY issue I foresee (given everything bolts up) is the balancing causing premature wear.
30hp optimistic (200-230)... bullshit, she'll nail it.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
People sell their t25's really cheap on here. The gpop kit after shipping is about $100 bucks.

I rebuilt my t25 with that kit in plans on using it for a while, but ended up selling it and picking up the s15 turbo before using it.

I did not have the turbo balanced after rebuilding it...I marked it in many many places using different colored paint markers. THe person I sold it to never contacted me afterwards, so I can only assume that it has been working alright.

It is pretty neat getting the experience of rebuilding the turbo. Honestly, the most difficult part is this little multi-layered washer that you have to slip under a lip inside the center cartridge.

However, as your compressor housing and wheel are FUBAR'd, I would recommend spending what you would on just the rebuild kit and buying a used t25 in the for sale section. OR, if you could afford just the turbo, you could run the s15 turbo with stock injectors as long as you keep the boost low, until you could afford s15 injectors or larger, MAF, and tune.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Waste of time and money IMO.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
There are tons of people running T28/GT28R/GT2560R's on stock ECU's with wastegate pressure, so you should be fine. 30HP increase might be a bit optimistic though.
Fixed that for you, most people running t28's on stock setups are only running the wastegate pressure at 7ish psi, which is lower than stock boost. Stock boost is 12psi with the oem solenoid hooked up.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
Bleakley
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
People sell their t25's really cheap on here. The gpop kit after shipping is about $100 bucks.

I rebuilt my t25 with that kit in plans on using it for a while, but ended up selling it and picking up the s15 turbo before using it.

I did not have the turbo balanced after rebuilding it...I marked it in many many places using different colored paint markers. THe person I sold it to never contacted me afterwards, so I can only assume that it has been working alright.

It is pretty neat getting the experience of rebuilding the turbo. Honestly, the most difficult part is this little multi-layered washer that you have to slip under a lip inside the center cartridge.

However, as your compressor housing and wheel are FUBAR'd, I would recommend spending what you would on just the rebuild kit and buying a used t25 in the for sale section. OR, if you could afford just the turbo, you could run the s15 turbo with stock injectors as long as you keep the boost low, until you could afford s15 injectors or larger, MAF, and tune.
Thanks man. If it is hard/that bad I might hit you up if that is alright?
The total would come to $400 all said and done.. ($150 for gpop's high performance 360° kit and about $240 for the GT2560R compressor wheel and housing brand new.

And wait?? I CAN run an S15 turbo with no adverse effects on driveability or reliability? (Given I keep boost low...)??? I will be driving the car like I f***in' stole it once she's running.. So.??

Jr_ss. I do not see how gaining some experience in rebuilding a turbo would be a waste of time or money. Seems to me it'd be very valuable experience..