Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #1
///Maestro

Trader Rating: (0)
///Maestro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Horror Story with AutoFlex/Dip via DipOne Pro Coatings

I'm creating this thread to show my horror story with autoflex and share my frustration with you guys.

Car looks amazing doesn't it? WRONG - Pictures are so deceiving when it comes to Dip/Autoflex.

I bought several new body parts for my car in hopes of getting it wrapped. My buddy went to a local shop here in NJ for autoflex and he mentioned that autoflex was just as good as wrap but about half the price. With that said, his Dip/Autoflex came out really good for the price! After doing some research and talking, I bit the bullet and made an appointment with DipOne Protective Coatings in Frenchtown NJ. He explained that I had to make an appointment a month in advance due to how busy they are... so I did.

- I dropped off the car and was supposed to get it within 3 days. I told him to keep it for a week because he told me he'd fix a very small crack in my amuse spoiler but may take an extra day or two to fix it. I knew of someone that dropped their car off at dipone AFTER me and got their car back before me. They kept my car for 11 days and I finally got it back.

-On the day I got the car back, it looked phenomenal from about 2+ feet away. Once I got closer, I noticed millions of problems. Below is a list of everything they managed to screw up:

-The crack in my wing? They said they fixed it. When I picked up my car, they literally just sprayed over the crack in my wing..
-GIANT paint runs down my driver-side Fly1 fenders.
-The masking on the car was awful. Multiple spots around the car still showed the OEM pearl white color.
-Several spots on the car was missing clear coat and had a matte finish.
-Overspray in SO many places.
-Owner told me my roof was wrapped in black, The day I came to pick up the car was when he told me "no it's not wrapped."
-Several spots on the car show the gray basecoat because whoever sprayed the car didn't want to bend down or get in the tough area's (particularly the inside of my amuse wing).
-There was paint on my windows and tires from terrible masking/overspray
-Instead of painting my front bumper, they painted and also vinyl wrapped the perimeter of the black part (grill) of my front bumper. The vinyl was peeling off since day 1 and this is something I never asked for.
-There were scratches, nibs, and nicks in the paintjob all throughout the car.

This is how the car looked the day before I dropped it off at DipOne to get the paint taken off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSCHXWXWg5w

When they told me the "paint came off clean" I assumed that they did a good job getting everything off. Little did I know that I was in for a shocker.
The following is what they did upon returning the car to me after dip removal:
-PINK BODY PANELS
-Broke a chunk off of my RS1 fenders
-Made the crack in my wing probably twice as long
-Cracked the clearcoat on my wing (CF top)
-Chipped paint off of my sideskirts
-ripped up some of the body filler from my front and rear bumpers.
-Blue dip is still ALL over the entire car and in the worst spots possible. It's going to take me DAYS to take everything off.
-Both my front fenders had a clear protective bra put on (not by them) and they ripped it off without consulting with me
-Both my taillights were tinted red (also NOT by them) and they removed the tint only on the drivers side?
-the car was completely filthy when they gave it back to me, didn't even bother cleaning it up.
-It took over 2 weeks for them to even process my refund.

Here's is the video I took the day I received the car at their shop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiX9HILi_X4

Here is how the car was dropped off:

And this is how it was returned to me:

I was quoted roughly 6-7 thousand in repair costs to get it back to OEM pearl and to fix all their mistakes. This does not include painting the front and rear bumpers, along with this wing.

This thread was solely created to spread awareness of DipOne "pro" Coatings and their work. I'm hoping no fellow car enthusiasts go through the nightmare I went through with this company. Thank you DipOne for ruining my car.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Dman II-40
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
Dman II-40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The product the painted it with seems like its an alternative to plastidip, right?
Dman II-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
///Maestro

///Maestro is an unknown quantity at this point
It is dip. It's a plastidip base coat with a special clearcoat sprayed over it called "autoflex." The clearcoat is what gives it that paint-like gloss finish.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Wow. It always amazes me how companies like this stay in business.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
What the hell ever happened to painting ur car with um...paint
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
God damn this fing sucks. I can only imagine how pissed off you must be. It's hard to find a decent worker nowadays, whether it is to flip a patty or to rebuild an engine, nothing but corner cutter, lazy ass mofos out there.
I hope more people see your videos and realize that this place aint worth a shlt before it gets more business. I hope you've submitted bad reviews wherever you can. A facebook link may be a good idea too.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post

this x100000...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
tom
Leaky Injector

tom is an unknown quantity at this point
You could always take them to small claims court, if you have documented the condition of the car before you gave it to them.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Take em to court.
Learn your lesson about cheaping out.
Goodluck
Old 06-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's a hard lesson to learn with these wrap/dip products. But they aren't paint, and when they wear out don't expect them to come off without damage. Your car will look nice with a good paint job thankfully.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
wkpainter

wkpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
-Oh how i hate jersey.
-You paid for a service, the service was rendered. Get over it. You should have known better. There is a reason why paint jobs cost multiple thousands of dollars.
-I cant believe there are shops that plasti-derp cars full time. I can only imagine what the owner/ "technicians" of this shop are like. Im guessing super cool swaggot vaping hoonibros (see owner/operator of "dipyourcar.com").
-I want to know how the hell the color of your car changed by adding plasti-derp on top.
-It looks like you spent a lot of money on parts for that car... why would you cheap out on the paint.

wkpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Hope they did not dip your brake lines. Those things are volatile.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #13
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I don't understand the hate for this guy choosing to go with something else besides paint. The technology is there but the service was shit. If it wasn't for the imperfections it would look fine. I wouldn't do it if it was me but I can understand why someone would.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #14
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
I don't understand the hate for this guy choosing to go with something else besides paint. The technology is there but the service was shit. If it wasn't for the imperfections it would look fine. I wouldn't do it if it was me but I can understand why someone would.
No it never looks good imperfections or not. Its a total fuckboi trend.
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:36 AM   #15
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
The texture and finish of plasti dip never compares to a properly painted piece. In the off season I'll plasti dip wheels for people and I've done quite a lot. Even my best jobs do not compare to even my mediocre paint jobs.
Why do you think plasti dip is trying to be more and more like paint?
There is a reason they're trying to spray a product more like real clear coat over the plasti dip surface.... And use an HVLP gun now.

Reasons to plasti dip
1. Doing accents because you're not sure if you will like the look and don't want to pony up the cash, after a short period you should know if you like the look, remove the dip, and commit to paint.
2. Lease car you know you're not going to keep but want to add some "flair" to it that you can remove before returning the car.

I'd take wrap over dip, at least wrap is a uniform surface and imperfections are easy to notice upon getting your car back.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #16
evomike
Zilvia Member

evomike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post
-Oh how i hate jersey.
-You paid for a service, the service was rendered. Get over it. You should have known better. There is a reason why paint jobs cost multiple thousands of dollars.
-I cant believe there are shops that plasti-derp cars full time. I can only imagine what the owner/ "technicians" of this shop are like. Im guessing super cool swaggot vaping hoonibros (see owner/operator of "dipyourcar.com").
-I want to know how the hell the color of your car changed by adding plasti-derp on top.
-It looks like you spent a lot of money on parts for that car... why would you cheap out on the paint.

about the color change, you can never be sure what spraying chemicals on paint and leaving them there will do. who knows what the hell is in this shit they sprayed on this car and ruined the finish.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
back in my day son we had money to paint our cars
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #18
corby_baby
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
corby_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post
-Oh how i hate jersey.

to be fair...there are some legitimate business out there dipping cars with proper tools and skills.

i.e. pearls and pigments in Houston, TX.

corby_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #19
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Yikes. My suggestion:

-Take out 1500$ of bank account

-Buy gun, equipment, materials, sealer, base and clear

-Paint your own car in garage

-Wet sand for days

Now you're 10000000x better off.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #20
MadMan88
Leaky Injector

MadMan88 is an unknown quantity at this point
^This. Three days to paint, one month of wet sand. loved the results
MadMan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Yikes. My suggestion:
-Wet sand for days
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan88 View Post
^This. Three days to paint, one month of wet sand. loved the results
What the fuck is wrong with you guys. Fuckin rednecks. You dont paint a car in a garage, you take it to a body shop. You know, spray booth, employees, filtration systems, etc. You idiots are making suggestions that will continue to make his car worse and worse

Do yourself a favor, consider making life easier on yourself. You already made a bad decision by having this shit-show of a shop spray dip onto your car. Fortunately, that stuff shouldnt be too bad to remove. However, you can make life even easier by getting rid of that silly ass wing and those cheap aftermarket bumper/fenders/hood.

Your lucky that your car is new and parts are readily available. Order a new OEM bumper, fenders, hood, and just ditch all that garbage you've acquired - its not worth a damn anyway, cheapass fiberglass shit. Now you have fresh new body panels that you can repaint. If you want OEM pearl, fine, but at this point you can probably save a few bucks going with a solid white. You dont want to extreme of a color change - you want to stay within the same range of paint as what the car was originally painted. This way, rock chips and other defects wont be so noticeable.

Do yourself a favor and use this as a learning experience of what NOT to do: avoid shitty dip products, avoid shitty shops, and avoid installing cheap ass aftermarket aero. This may come off as harsh but trust me, you need to move past this fast and furious bullshit.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
What the fuck is wrong with you guys. Fuckin rednecks. You dont paint a car in a garage, you take it to a body shop. You know, spray booth, employees, filtration systems, etc. You idiots are making suggestions that will continue to make his car worse and worse

Do yourself a favor, consider making life easier on yourself. You already made a bad decision by having this shit-show of a shop spray dip onto your car. Fortunately, that stuff shouldnt be too bad to remove. However, you can make life even easier by getting rid of that silly ass wing and those cheap aftermarket bumper/fenders/hood.

Do yourself a favor and use this as a learning experience of what NOT to do: avoid shitty dip products, avoid shitty shops, and avoid installing cheap ass aftermarket aero. This may come off as harsh but trust me, you need to move past this fast and furious bullshit.
You think he knew it was a shitty shop? likely not. Wouldn't anyone avoid a KNOWN shitty shop?

Jesus, what the hell crawled up your ass?

If you set up right, there's nothing wrong with a garage job (for the most part). I've seen numerous successful results. Including my own.
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #23
greyZ

greyZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yikes. My suggestion:

-Wet sand for days

While I do agree that this is a feasible option, especially for older cars, I struggle to agree that it is the right option for a 370z with a OEM Pearl job. You would be hard pressed to buy the gun and compressor for that much much less pearl paint. Even a garage job needs drop cloths and some kind of air filtration system at the very least or you will have some imperfections.

OP, take all the blue crap off, clean everything. Talk to a shop and remove everything in prep for paint, it will help for the total cost. That would be my suggestion.

If you need a paint recommendation, go to Cars and Coffee, find the nicest looking car and ask who his detailer is. Your hypercar detailers can give you a long list of reputable shops in the surrounding area.
greyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #24
evomike
Zilvia Member

evomike is an unknown quantity at this point
i just watched your video about the quality issues, what the fuck were you honestly expecting? you are seriously going to bitch about orange peel and some slight masking imperfections, the problem here is you decided to be fucking cheap and get some hack bullshit on your car and except a show car paint job.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #25
bmhossain
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (34)
bmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nicebmhossain is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I'm curious as to how much this cost you initially. When I was pretty young, I had a car painted at Maaco and it was worse than this. Lesson learned there. I wouldn't have expected much better from plastidipping a car no matter who does it. Now what really sucks is to what happened to the paint when removed. Thats what I would be freaking out about.
bmhossain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:05 PM   #26
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
You think he knew it was a shitty shop? likely not. Wouldn't anyone avoid a KNOWN shitty shop?

If you set up right, there's nothing wrong with a garage job (for the most part). I've seen numerous successful results. Including my own.
A stupid suggestion crawled up my ass. When I hear "shoot it in your garage and wet sand for days" - it makes no fucking sense. Is wet sanding supposed to take out hair, insects, and other random trash that ends up in the paint? Wet sanding will eliminate orange peel, thats it. Then you will still need to polish. Good luck polishing that turd. A good paint job requires MINIMAL color sanding. Besides the fact that the costs of good HVLP guns, good paint & supplies, a filtration system, etc... all of that will add up REAL quick. So the bottom line is you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

I'm not trying to stir up shit here, but suggesting dude shoot it in a home garage is a terrible idea. I wont even get into the neighbors and what they will think when you start blowing overspray out of your garage.

Terrible idea.

ps: OP never mentioned how much he paid. I'm guessing 2-3k. OP, care to share?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
My favorite thing is when people say "When it goes bad I just peel it off." Yeah good luck with that. "But they showed be how easy it comes off." Sure they did on a perfect demonstration panel with enough coats on because its all setup to sell you the product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #28
andisan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
andisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymoreandisan is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My Horror Story with AutoFlex/Dip via DipOne Pro Coatings

How much does a job like that cost??

Cheaper than a paint job??

If people are doing it then I assume it has to be

I paid $3500 for my paint job which if I would do it now I would think twice about it, with a family and all

I think it's a gamble with all those company's starting those new methods of paint jobs or just lazy managers/owners that approve all that job and present it to the customers
Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #29
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:

First clue it sucked was it was a plastidip shop....
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Dipping an entire car sounds like one of the worst ideas I've heard in awhile. If I was looking to do a temporary change that doesn't look like complete dog ass I'd go with a good quality wrap job. If you desire something permanent or long-lasting, a real paint job by professionals is the only solution.

Lets review: Paint > Wrap > PlastiCrap