Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #31
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, I just did this with great results... I used Russell Fittings and Power-Flex Stainless Lines. Waiting to do the Resivor to Rack untill I get a new Resivor and possably a Cooler!

The Smaller Lines on the back side are 12x1.0 to 3AN... which I have yet to find!!

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #32
29psiHybrid
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
29psiHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thank you OP, just the info I was about to search for!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #33
180wanabe1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
180wanabe1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
OK, I just did this with great results... I used Russell Fittings and Power-Flex Stainless Lines. Waiting to do the Resivor to Rack untill I get a new Resivor and possably a Cooler!

The Smaller Lines on the back side are 12x1.0 to 3AN... which I have yet to find!!

-Drew
earls part number 305-03M121
180wanabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #34
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Bringing this back from the dead for great reason.

Makers Racing Power Steering Anti-Foaming Kit !!

Looks like an Oil Filter attached to relocation block, but anyway... effective? and I take it this should be on the pressure side?!?

I am litterally about to buy this with a Billion Power Steering Tank!!

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #35
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was thinking about gettin this to start my ps cooler setup

KRC High Volume Power Steering Pump Kit - SR20DET [ 20005000/91510 000 ] - Enjuku Racing - Performance Parts and High Quality Fabrication
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #36
travypoo
Zilvia Member

travypoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to travypoo
i did a canton racing alumn PS res along with braided line and AN fittings with a -6 ps cooler from summit. I have the KRC PS pump pictured above also. it is so much better to make your own cooler kit VS buying pre made kits(CB).
travypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #37
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The only thing I hate about the whole AN setup for p/s is the damn hose ends... no one makes steel ends in black, and you're not supposed to use the aluminum ones on the high pressure lines. Don't want chrome or that red/blue either. But oh well. Nice set-up, regardless.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
travypoo
Zilvia Member

travypoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to travypoo
wonder if it is ok to use the pump -6 male alumn fitting and high pressure rack alumn -6 an fitting with steel female hose ends...seems thats what the orignal poster did.
travypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #39
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think the fittings are fine for whatever reason, but the hose ends aren't. I guess something to do with the pressure needed to keep the hose from slipping would gall the aluminum? Someone more experienced with the concept might know. I was just told "No." by the parts guy. The steel ends were cheaper too, so he wasn't just trying to get extra coin.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #40
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by travypoo View Post
wonder if it is ok to use the pump -6 male alumn fitting and high pressure rack alumn -6 an fitting with steel female hose ends...seems thats what the orignal poster did.
the alum fitting for the pump and rack are fine.

the reason for the steel ends if bc the high pressure hose is differnt from typical braided SS hose.

been running this set-up in a buddys car for quite some time w/o any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #41
Danial
Zilvia Member

Danial is an unknown quantity at this point
What sized AN is on the return hose on the rack side when the hose is about to go up to the reservoir from the rack?
Also, anyone know what the best hose clamps are, there's so many options, looking for screw tightened I think
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #42
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
What sized AN is on the return hose on the rack side when the hose is about to go up to the reservoir from the rack?
Also, anyone know what the best hose clamps are, there's so many options, looking for screw tightened I think
-6AN (3/8" hose) is what most PS set ups use for the low pressure (rack return) line, assuming that's what you're asking.

OP, thanks for making this thread, it was extremely useful when I was buying my AN lines for my PS setup. Owe you one bro.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #43
shaggy sr
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
shaggy sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
nice setup!!! ill do it insread of buying CB parts
shaggy sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #44
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
did anyone else notice that the o-ringed fitting for the return line threads all the way into the rack and doesnt seal at the o-ring?
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #45
OLDSCHOOLRICE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
OLDSCHOOLRICE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
did anyone else notice that the o-ringed fitting for the return line threads all the way into the rack and doesnt seal at the o-ring?
+1 on this and the outer surface isn't flush so a crush washer won't seal.

What's the solution(other than just thread sealant)?
OLDSCHOOLRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #46
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
+1!!

Good write up, im currently changing almost everything to an lines. How much PSI do you think the PS hoses run? Im using BMRS lines throughout already but their line up only has hoses rated to 500psi

Also more pics with the cooler installed and lines to the rack??
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

godzilla_753 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I went with the op's setup and now my line is leaking at the high pressure fitting going into the rack. Anyone have a solution to this? Its leaking more specifically at the 14mm to -6 adapter, I think its leaking because the threads are so short, only threads in half of what the original hard line there does. Anyone know what I can do to get it to stop leaking?
godzilla_753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
Danial
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla_753 View Post
So I went with the op's setup and now my line is leaking at the high pressure fitting going into the rack. Anyone have a solution to this? Its leaking more specifically at the 14mm to -6 adapter, I think its leaking because the threads are so short, only threads in half of what the original hard line there does. Anyone know what I can do to get it to stop leaking?
I remember I used teflon tape on the threads of my setup, there are lots of thread sealers you could use for a tighter fit

Also make sure that there isn't any pressure being exerted on the fitting, your line shouldn't pull or by tight at all. Try rearranging the geometry of your angled fittings to adjust this

just my 2cents
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #49
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

good suggestion, Ill give it a go, but I went ahead and ordered a 3/8 to -6 adapter just in case, its only 5 bucks from jegs. If the readjusting doesnt work Im going to just put the hardline portion back into the rack, cut the end off and throw on the adapter to -6.

EDIT: crap just realized those fittings are only good to 50psi, the hose sees way more than that I assume...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #50
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

Since the ps line on a stock s13 goes
RACK-->Hardline-->soft PS hose with sensor-->PS pump

Could I just put the stock hardline back in, convert from hardline to -6 with this and be good to go? (it says its for fuel system only...)

Earl's 9894DBH Earl's Fuel Injection Female O-Ring Seals

That fucking fitting is leaking like a stuck pig, and I dont want to torque it down any harder, Im afraid of stipping the threads. Tried the teflon tape and readjusting the fitting with no luck. The real problem is that the fitting is so short it only threads in half of what the original hardline did, doesn't seal against the tapered inside of the rack.

Shoulda just bought a fucking premade line from chasebays or something.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #51
Danial
Zilvia Member

im confused where the part for "Earl's Fuel Injection Female O-Ring Seals" came from in this article

try this
Earl's 991954 Earl's AN to Metric Adapters

looks somewhat different than what you are using, if you need the male to female fitting i am sure that earls makes one for the same thread pitch and AN size

Did you use the crush washer in the correct place? I believe it is between the high pressure fitting into the rack

If you dont have enough threads then you need a different fitting, end of story. Make sure that the next fitting you get has enough threading, and make sure that it looks like what the OP used before you buy it
Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #52
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

Quote:
im confused where the part for "Earl's Fuel Injection Female O-Ring Seals" came from in this article

try this
Earl's 991954 Earl's AN to Metric Adapters

looks somewhat different than what you are using, if you need the male to female fitting i am sure that earls makes one for the same thread pitch and AN size

Did you use the crush washer in the correct place? I believe it is between the high pressure fitting into the rack

If you dont have enough threads then you need a different fitting, end of story. Make sure that the next fitting you get has enough threading, and make sure that it looks like what the OP used before you buy it

Yeah I think you are a little confused. I went with the OP identical setup (except the stuff for the reservoir). So everything for the high pressure side is just like the OP's. Im lookin at the pictures of the op's setup and I dont see any washers for the rack side but I guess I can try that. The washer I have goes between the pump and the line..

And the link I listed is for an adapter from the factory hardline coming out of the rack to AN, if you reread my last post you'll see why I listed it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #53
Beejis60
BANNED

Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have any more feedback about the sloppiness feel? I know Codyace had said his was fine, so I'm curious as to what the other dude a year or so ago did to make his steering response feel like shit.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #54
Danial
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla_753 View Post
Yeah I think you are a little confused. I went with the OP identical setup (except the stuff for the reservoir). So everything for the high pressure side is just like the OP's. Im lookin at the pictures of the op's setup and I dont see any washers for the rack side but I guess I can try that. The washer I have goes between the pump and the line..

And the link I listed is for an adapter from the factory hardline coming out of the rack to AN, if you reread my last post you'll see why I listed it.
Ahhh, that does make more sense. To go back to the factory hardline what I ended up doing was using a piece of power steering hose I got from Earls (other kinds of hose will fall apart and clog your ps pump). I cut the hardline just past the fitting, smoothed the edges of the cut, and worked the hose over the end of the hardline about 3 or 4 inches. Then I used 2 screw style clamps on the line and didnt have any leaks. To connect it to the rest of the system I believe I used fittings as the OP did. I didnt have any leaks from the clamped section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
Does anyone have any more feedback about the sloppiness feel? I know Codyace had said his was fine, so I'm curious as to what the other dude a year or so ago did to make his steering response feel like shit.
There shouldnt be any sloppiness as long as the cooler is on your low pressure line and you don't run an obnoxious length of high pressure line. The greater volume of fluid in the high pressure line, the harder the pump has to work to compress it to the same pressure and transfer that pressure to the rack.
Also, leaks will result in a sloppy feeling as there are varying pressures assisting your turning of the wheel.
My steering was sloppy at one point because the steering column wasn't connected to the rack as tightly as it could have been
Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #55
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
I have run into a few racks that leak using the earls fitting. My solution was to put another earls or other brand part to seal. They are called STAT O Seals. They are aluminum washers with a bonded rubber o ring on the ID of the washer. they are used to seal where crusher washer wont quite work.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #56
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone using the Chase Bays kit? I've had it sitting here for about 6 months but had too many other projects going on to install it. It doesn't come with a cooler but it would be very simple to add one...

Chase Bays Power Steering Kit for Nissan 240sx - Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com
Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #57
Beejis60
BANNED

Beejis60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
There shouldnt be any sloppiness as long as the cooler is on your low pressure line and you don't run an obnoxious length of high pressure line. The greater volume of fluid in the high pressure line, the harder the pump has to work to compress it to the same pressure and transfer that pressure to the rack.
Well ya, that's common sense. If anyone ran that on the high pressure side then of course it would suck. Maybe the initial report the dude had effed up something.

Quote:
Also, leaks will result in a sloppy feeling as there are varying pressures assisting your turning of the wheel.
Well, again, common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilz10179 View Post
Anyone using the Chase Bays kit? I've had it sitting here for about 6 months but had too many other projects going on to install it. It doesn't come with a cooler but it would be very simple to add one...

250 bones for THAT? Looks like he's probably making at least 50% profit.
Beejis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #58
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post

250 bones for THAT? Looks like he's probably making at least 50% profit.
The OP claims to have over $250 into his pieced together set up not counting the cooler.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #59
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

ill be honest, this is my first go at working with AN stuff and not very impressed with my setup currently. Maybe it has to do with inexperience but as far as high pressure stuff goes, the steel fittings for the highpressure line could easily loosen over time, I mean after torquing it down, with a little bit of pressure I could still rotate the steel fitting off the earls fitting (where it meets the pump).

I ended up using a liquid gel sealent to get the lines to stop leaking. My recommendation..go with something premade thats got nice crimped on fittings...especially for something thats high pressure, no chance of it coming apart from vibrations or a accidental bump.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #60
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
For anyone having sealing problems with the high pressure rack fitting the issues seems to be with the Earls adapter fittings being too short and the o-ring not seating in the rack. A couple other companies sell longer fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2iv0 sx View Post
^Yes those look longer than what I have. The brass one looks right. Thanks Firestorm for the link

I'm going to give these fittings a try and will update what happens...

Flaming River FRM14X6AN - Flaming River Power Steering Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Allstar Performance ALL48211 - Allstar Performance Power Steering Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If theres any other solutions PLEASE contribute
Details in this thread.
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/201523...s-leaking.html