Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Power Steering+AN Lines + Cooler=Good times!

So ive had some members PM me about my PowerSteering Setup. so i figured i would post a quick how to.

Rack Return 16x1.5 O ringed to -6AN 991955ERL
Rack High Pressure 14x1.5 O-ringed -6AN 991954ERL
Pump High Pressure 16x1.5 Crush Washer -6AN 9919DFJERL

For the line I bought 2 feet…only used about 1.5 feet or so.. of 130006ERL Power steering hose.
and 2 of theses 139106ERL 90* -6AN hose ends for Power steering hose.

For the cooler I got a small cooler off ebay with -6AN inlet and outlet.

You will also need
1 -6AN weld on fitting
2-10AN weld on fittings

Then I decided to be a little cheap and used Summit Racing Push Lok hose and fittings so I got
3 feet of -10AN (5/8ths ID) hose
6 feet of -6 AN (3/8ths ID) hose
2 Straight -10AN push lock fittings
4 90* -6AN push lock fittings

I took the resivor off and had the -6 fitting welded to it (return side, side of the resivor) and the -10 fitting welded on as well (feed side, the bottom of the resivor)

It should be noted that there is a small filter inside the reservoir I didn’t notice it and it melted

Then I took the feed fitting off the pump and had the other -10AN fitting welded to it.

so the way the system works it as follows….resivor Ã*10line Ã*pump Ã* -6 high pressure P/S line Ã* rack Ã* -6 pushlock hose Ã* P/S cooler Ã* resivor.

All the Earls fittings I used came from ANplumbing.com

And push lock hose and fittings came from SummitRacing.com

Curently i dont have my Cooler mounted yet as i have to find a proper location for it.

THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Yeah, this thread rocks! Finally a good guide on power steering lines.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
SHIFT_destroy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
SHIFT_destroy is making a name for him/her selfSHIFT_destroy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SHIFT_destroy
assuming that youve driven the car with this, did you notice that your steering is ... well sloppy .. i have an an fitting line setup and there is no resistance in my steering which is ok i suppose but sometimes it feels sloppy and almost feels as if its streering itself
SHIFT_destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_destroy View Post
assuming that youve driven the car with this, did you notice that your steering is ... well sloppy .. i have an an fitting line setup and there is no resistance in my steering which is ok i suppose but sometimes it feels sloppy and almost feels as if its streering itself
no i havent driven my car...yet....but i insalled a similar system in a friends car and he also has a rem-rack. his steering is very crisp. no slop...the problem that your describing would lead me to believe that your rack is worn and seals are most likley oversaturated and begenning to leak.

the only change that is make to the PS system is the removal of the stock cooling loop and replacing it with an extenal cooler. Furthermore it (the cooler) is on the return side and should have no negative effect on the perfomrnace of the system, providing that it is properly filled and bled.

Quote:

Quote:
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
very NICE {msg}
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Charlie
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (35)
Charlie is on the path to ruinCharlie is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
How much did you spend on this setup?
Old 08-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylove View Post
How much did you spend on this setup?
the high pressure line was roughly $70 with the hose ends, rack fittings and pump fitting.

~$40 for the 4 90* summitracing hose ends (-6AN)

~$12 for the 2 straight summitracing hose ends (-10AN)

~$32 for the -10AN hose...but thats 10feet of it

~$25 for the -6AN hose...but thats 10feet of it

i dont remember how much the weld on fittings were or the cooler.

but overall the complete set-up should be a little less then $250 or so..

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by japslapsilvia; 08-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: spell
Old 08-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
The problem of no "feel" in steering comes from no flow restriction. there is a way to adjust the amount of flow when you replace all the hardlines with this setup from the pump itself..but that involves in taking apart the pump itself.

Cool write up man!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
The problem of no "feel" in steering comes from no flow restriction. there is a way to adjust the amount of flow when you replace all the hardlines with this setup from the pump itself..but that involves in taking apart the pump itself.

Cool write up man!

good to know...is there a restrictor in the high pressure line???

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
so awesome man!
got this shit saved!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
memphis180sx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
memphis180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive been wantin to this to mine lately great write up
memphis180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Thanks for the write up man! Zilvia needs more of this to revive itself of the old Zilvia. Good job!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #13
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
good to know...is there a restrictor in the high pressure line???
Yup, when it goes from the "soft" pressure line to "hard" pressure line, and also the pressure sensor "acts" as restrictor.

I don't have this baller of a setup, but I do have my high pressure line in newer 7000psi rated hose with cooler for the return side before the reservoir on my S13, and i haven't felt major difference in feel of steering. I just doesn't leak any more or boil. lol
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I dig it, of course I would go black anotuff. =) I'm digging your setup partner.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Great job.

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Thanks!!! i will try to update this once i get the cooler installed and the lines run. i just need to find a sutable location for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
I dig it, of course I would go black anotuff. =) I'm digging your setup partner.
i would have LOVED to do all Earls fittings and braided SS lines but that shit adds up soo quickly...

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #17
bllabong89
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
bllabong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Yup, when it goes from the "soft" pressure line to "hard" pressure line, and also the pressure sensor "acts" as restrictor.
I'm not to familiar with power steering set-ups and I'm sorry if this was gone over earlier but where is the pressure sensor located? Is it in-between any lines or in the pump or reservoir? I was just wondering if you removed the sensor or if it remains unchanged?
bllabong89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllabong89 View Post
I'm not to familiar with power steering set-ups and I'm sorry if this was gone over earlier but where is the pressure sensor located? Is it in-between any lines or in the pump or reservoir? I was just wondering if you removed the sensor or if it remains unchanged?
The sensor is located in the factory High Pressure line and is removed with the AN line. you could incorporate the sensor if u wanted to.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
GenPac
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
GenPac is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Push-lock fittings and hose doesn't require clamps... but I understand the psychology of that 'extra measure' for safety. Now that I look at it again, those fittings from summit don't look like true pushlock fittings (don't see the plastic rings) so the clamps in this case are a good idea.
GenPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
Push-lock fittings and hose doesn't require clamps... but I understand the psychology of that 'extra measure' for safety. Now that I look at it again, those fittings from summit don't look like true pushlock fittings (don't see the plastic rings) so the clamps in this case are a good idea.
yea sorry i mis-spoke when i said push lock...i believe the term summit racing uses for these are "twist tite".

push locks are generally used for plastic/pcv type hoses...

and on the clamp situation ideally these fitting would use Oetiker clamps but given the fact that there probably wont be a great deal of heat cycling like in an oil cooler or trans cooler worm gears should work out well.. plus its a major pain in the ass to remove the hose from the fitting w/o cutting the hose or rendering it useless...

on the -6AN lines i had to put the hose in boiling water to aid in slipping it on the fitting.

Thanks!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #21
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
nice system you got there man! to save you the headache in the future...

POWER STEERING RESERVOIR IMCA CIRCLE TRACK DRAG RACE: eBay Motors (item 380261798472 end time Sep-01-10 18:20:15 PDT)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5 View Post

THANKS!!!

yea i thought about getting somtihng like that...SummitRacing and Pegasus has some nice ones with fittings already. but it actually ended up cheaper going with the weld on fittings and i didnt have to make a bracket for a custom resivor..i still may end up getting a custom one though...just bc is cool....LOL!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
Drift_This
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Drift_This is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sick setup. I want to run this setup minus the cooler for now jus cuz I hate the oem lines.
Drift_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
duynguyenn240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
duynguyenn240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
one question

on the high pressure hose, do you hand tight the hose end into the hose or you have to have a machine to put them together ?
duynguyenn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #25
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by duynguyenn240 View Post
one question

on the high pressure hose, do you hand tight the hose end into the hose or you have to have a machine to put them together ?
Depends on your hose. On that high pressure hose I've always had them machined crimped, but that's not to say traditional 'DIY' hose ends won't work, as they may work perfeectly fine.

FWIW: THe O/P setup works, as it's the exact same setup that I've had for 3 years now. Nice and simple, yet effective. No more pink milkshake after a HPDE session.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duynguyenn240 View Post
one question

yea the one that i am using is threaded in. very simple to put togather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Depends on your hose. On that high pressure hose I've always had them machined crimped, but that's not to say traditional 'DIY' hose ends won't work, as they may work perfeectly fine.

FWIW: THe O/P setup works, as it's the exact same setup that I've had for 3 years now. Nice and simple, yet effective. No more pink milkshake after a HPDE session.
absolutly correct!!

often times you can have a highpressure line built very cheaply at a hydrolic (sp) shop, with crimped ends.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have been looking to do this... I also want to do the 2 smaller hardlines on the back of the rack... any info on these???

-Drew
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
I have been looking to do this... I also want to do the 2 smaller hardlines on the back of the rack... any info on these???

-Drew
i though about doing those as well but hanvt had the time to look into them. i would assume you would have to use a -3 AN line. and im not sure of the fittings/sizes. off the top of my head i would guess M10 1.0 but im not sure if its and inverted flare, o-ring, or crush washer.

Honestly i wouldnt see any real "benifit" from doing it, unless the hard lines are trash, which in most super low cars it probably is...lol!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by japslapsilvia View Post
unless the hard lines are trash, which in most super low cars it probably is...lol!
exactly....
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

-Drew
I didn't bother with the hardlines on the rack itself...figured they don't leak, and I'll never need to take them off either. Now the metal 'cooling' tube (goes in front of the crossmember) I did delete with the power steering cooler.

Another thing for those doing this:
While the crush washer is meant to be the main seal where the fittings thread into the block, it's not a bad idea to also use some Hydraulic/ATF safe thread sealent there as well.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ad_Sealant.htm

I use that on many jobs and never have an issue with them sealing.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote