Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Can someone answer me this??

My Sr isn't building boost.. won't go above 0

I unplugged the hose going from the wastegate to the hot pipe to see if my car would boost even a little.

And still not boosting at all.

Is this a telltale sign that the wastegate itself is indeed bad?
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Have you checked for any boost leaks or exhaust leaks?and did this just start randomly or did you change/ install anything?im not sure exactly how to test the actuator but I'm sure a Google search could
Old 10-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
make sure that the c-clip that holds the wastegate arm to the flap is still in place (assuming that you're still running an internal gate turbo.

also check all couplers and clamps for a boost leak.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

I haven't thoroughly checked for boost leaks yet. I have however sprayed the intercooler couplers, exhaust manifold and blow off valve. Didn't get any bubbles.

I have had a leak before though and I would still get some boost, but with a hesitation/jerky feel.

At the moment it just wont build pressure at all.

I did have the intake/exhaust manifolds off when the engine was out, but I tightened them down the same as I previously have.

Changed all turbo gastkets/studs as well and it still boosted
Old 10-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

clip is still holding the the rod it its place.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #6
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Your gate must be stuck open. Wideband? If you had a leak that bad that it wouldn't let you build boost your motor would not be a happy camper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Well i just did a boost leak test.

Took off the turbo intake and put a coupler with a pcv pipe end with a valve stem on it. Unattached the cold pipe from the throttle body and put a pcv pipe cap on it to block it off.

Hooked up my air compressor and put enough air in it make the wastegate open and stopped airing it up to listen for leaks.

Nothing.
I would think if a leak was big enough to cause the turbo to not build any boost whatsoever it would make a noticeable sound at the location of the leak...?

Ecutalk says my timing is at 15btdc so i assume my timing is correct. As is my mechanical timing because i checked that when the engine was out.

I cant tell if the engine is missing or not either because I'm running open down pipe at the moment, which is pretty damn loud. So I'm unsure if the coils aren't sending enough spark under load or not.

I did notice that when i started the engine for the first time in 2 months, after having it out of the vehicle, that it started to smoke quite a bit from the turbo/manifold...
I thought this may just be all the oil and what not that i put on it while installing new ss lines and what not burning off. Because it stopped smoking a little while after..?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
why dont you test the turbo with your hand and see if its frozen up. It is either frozen or the wastegate is bypassing all your exhaust.

Sometimes I do this on purpose, disconnect the wastegate to run the engine N/A. It helps fine tuning throttle response around 0psi->1psi range, fine tuning of ignition and fuel in that area can be difficult with a small turbocharger like a T-28
Old 10-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Wouldn't running a perfectly good turbo with the wastage unplugged make you over boost?

Or are you saying you only give it enough throttle to build 1 psi?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post

Sometimes I do this on purpose, disconnect the wastegate to run the engine N/A.

DO NOT DO THAT. If for whatever reason you build boost like it should and the waste gate hose disconnected you will BLOW your motor. If you can open your waste gate by hand it is WEAK and is probably opening under engine vacuum.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Well i already tested that yesterday. Unplugged wastegate hose and still didn't boost.

And I can move the actuator rod by hand. Its a little tough, but i can move it.

Are you not supposed to be able to do so at all??
Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
Well i already tested that yesterday. Unplugged wastegate hose and still didn't boost.

And I can move the actuator rod by hand. Its a little tough, but i can move it.

Are you not supposed to be able to do so at all??

You should be able to some but depending how macho you are it should be pretty resistant. Just out of curiosity have you looked at your turbo blades? Or in general can you even hear the turbo making spooling sounds? A friend had the shaft snap and exhaust blades were spinning but nothing on the intake side

Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

I can not hear the turbo at all, as opposed to before i pulled the engine.

I just don't understand why the turbo would shit out when it ran fine before pulling the engine. Only sat for two months.

I think i may be having a timing issue though. Im hoping thats why its not boosting, but if that isn't the problem i guess ill be forced to check the wheels on the turbo
Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
I can not hear the turbo at all, as opposed to before i pulled the engine.

I just don't understand why the turbo would shit out when it ran fine before pulling the engine. Only sat for two months.

I think i may be having a timing issue though. Im hoping thats why its not boosting, but if that isn't the problem i guess ill be forced to check the wheels on the turbo

If your timing was that bad it would shit all over itself and not run well at ALL. Check the turbo itself and see what's up

Old 10-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
DO NOT DO THAT. If for whatever reason you build boost like it should and the waste gate hose disconnected you will BLOW your motor. If you can open your waste gate by hand it is WEAK and is probably opening under engine vacuum.

disconnect the wastegate ACTUATOR. Not the hose. I can see why you would get confused, but only if you weren't aware the arm could be disconnected. which reflects lack of experience or understanding. In which case you should not be trying to diagnose anything.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Pull the intake pipe and turbo outlet. Check that the turbo does indeed spin. Check to make sure the comp wheel spins when the exhaust wheel I moved. My next suggestion is to pull the turbo and verify you haven't shoved anything into the turbo, rag or other means of keeping items out of the turbo.

I think your turbo is damaged and pinned to the housing or seized. It happens, find a replacement.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #17
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
disconnect the wastegate ACTUATOR. Not the hose. I can see why you would get confused, but only if you weren't aware the arm could be disconnected. which reflects lack of experience or understanding. In which case you should not be trying to diagnose anything.

Instead of trying to be an asshole, you should specify what you mean by disconnecting the waste gate, as I'm betting 90% of people on here will think "disconnecting the waste gate" would mean to pull the vac line off it. I'm well aware how it works, so instead of wording about that, worry about your attention to detail when you tell someone over the internet how to diag.

Good day sir

Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Im not trying to disregard y'all telling me to check the wheels on the turbo, but i thought i would add that while trying to boost, my AFR's stay the same...

between 14-15.. while giving it more than partial throttle

I also hear a weird noise coming from the turbo when i rev it. I don't believe its a leak as i don't run rich when trying to boost... Sadly it does kind of sound like metal rubbing metal

Ill have to pull my down pipe off on my day off this week to check it out

Ill also try to post a video of the sound i speak of
Old 10-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
You're positive the waste gate port isn't connected to vacuum and instantly opening when you start the car?

Also, when you boost leak test you need to have your boost gauge on and available to watch while you leak test.

If your compressor is at let's say 100psi and you're only building and holding like 5psi then there's obviously a leak so great you're not building boost at all.

You've got to have a massive leak somewhere.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

my wastegate is connected directly to the pressure source. On the hot pipe.

Wouldn't a boost leak cause a rich condition?

Im pretty sure I've had a boost leak before and the symptoms were that of my AFR going straight to 10.0, hesitation while trying to build boost, but still building boost.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

I'm leaning to a rag being forgotten somewhere on the exhaust side.can you feel the exhaust flow from the downpipe?id do what was mentioned above and pull the inlet pipe off and make sure the turbo is even spinning off and then test while it's running and make sure it spins faster as the rpms do also.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #22
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Well, i figured it out..

Turns out the turbine wheel was stuck somehow. I couldn't spin it freely, but i did, however, get it to spin freely.

I started the car and let it warm up. Right off the bat i could hear the turbo. Even more so when revving it.

I drove down the street and could definitely hear the turbo. I even hit 0 zero on my boost gauge as opposed to before when it would top off at -2. I didn't have enough street to try and build boost. When i turned on the next street though...

Then that all went away... Couldn't even hear it anymore. AND i could not build boost

What would cause the turbine wheel to keep getting stuck?

I stuck a coupler with a pcv cap that has a valve stem in it, on the inlet and took off the hot pipe and tried blowing anything that may have been lodged in the wheel out.

Is this just a sign of a turbo shitting out? After freeing the wheel the first time, it spun nicely. No in/out or side to side shaft play
Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
A new turbo is in order. You aren't going to fix it by unsticking it every time, it's trash.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #24
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Any ideas as to why a my turbo would out of the blew crap out?

Worked fine before pulling the engine.. So i thought, anyways.

After starting the engine after two months of sitting, it was smoking quite a bit from the turbo, but stopped and no longer smoked.

Nooooo Monicaaa!
Guess ill be saving for a turbo :/
Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Maybe debris got stuck in there during the 2 months and ruined or maybe didn't get enough oil pressure before you restarted it.also is this a factory t25? I'f so it's well over 15 years old and beat on regularly.its time it gets replaced anyways
Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
vh45D21

Trader Rating: (0)
vh45D21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
vh45D21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #27
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh45D21 View Post
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
You're kidding right? This has to be a joke and/or spam. I say spam.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

lol @ all this abuse over a $50 turbocharger
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #29
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
lol @ all this abuse over a $50 turbocharger

What?

And if you could link me to a site that sells good working order t25's for $50 that'd be great
Old 10-24-2014, 01:38 AM   #30
l adam l
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
maybe you're not getting oil to the turbo? my buddy had too much hose on the return line, so it was kinked...wouldn't let the car build boost and it smoked pretty bad. fixed the hose and it boosted fine and the turbo was actually still usable for a little while after that, the seals went out shortly after. rebuild kits are only like $40.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote