Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Group Buys

Group Buys Dedicated Forum for Group Buys.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
Have you considered making http://zilvia.net/f/chat/515491-carb...ck-covers.html to go with it?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
AngryPanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Have you considered making http://zilvia.net/f/chat/515491-carb...ck-covers.html to go with it?
that is a interesting idea.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd like one, cause as of right now, the only carbon piece in my engine bay is going to be the cooling panel I am getting form you. A carbon coil cover might help tie it all together. If you could do one and still maintain the raised embossed "INTERCOOLER TURBO" on there like factory, that would be awesome.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #34
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
Also anyone interested in a s13 version?
I may be interested in s13 silvia and s15 version. You should consider making the s13 pop-up version too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.

Last edited by FRpilot; 05-01-2013 at 08:01 PM..
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #35
1993fdrx7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
1993fdrx7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
if the guy wants to make money, cf sunroof delete is easy money!!!
1993fdrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #36
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
anxiously waiting for pics.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

sorry no pics today, most likely tuesday, had some logistical issues.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
hopefully they aren't ill fitting like the alibaba/ebay panel I got...
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Just a quick update, I wanted to have some ready to ship monday, but im having some issues with the finish. Heres a picture of the cooling panels in process.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
DeCepTiCon
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
DeCepTiCon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Will this fit a S14 with a S15 front conversion (i.e. S15 core, headlights, hood, etc,.)?
DeCepTiCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #41
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCepTiCon View Post
Will this fit a S14 with a S15 front conversion (i.e. S15 core, headlights, hood, etc,.)?
im pretty sure it wont fit over the lights too well, but should fit over the core support.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #42
EliteGTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
EliteGTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
im down for 1
EliteGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #43
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteGTR View Post
im down for 1
Got you down

Quick update. I have one done cleared and am in the process of doing 3 more. This is to make sure I can achieve a constant finish all across the board.

BTW any one have an S13 or S14 sunroof glass for sale?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #44
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Got you down

Quick update. I have one done cleared and am in the process of doing 3 more. This is to make sure I can achieve a constant finish all across the board.

BTW any one have an S13 or S14 sunroof glass for sale?
So I guess I'm confused, are you clearing all of them now? Cause originally, I had thought you were saying that clear coat was an optional 50$ upgrade?

I'd like to see pics of clears vs. not, cause i think I might rather have mine not cleared.

Quote:
forgot to add if you want the panels clear coated (not needed in my opinion) I can clear the panels for $50 before shipping. The clear will give the carbon a deep 3d effect.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #45
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
So I guess I'm confused, are you clearing all of them now? Cause originally, I had thought you were saying that clear coat was an optional 50$ upgrade?
I'd like to see pics of clears vs. not, cause i think I might rather have mine not cleared.
It will still be a upgrade. I want to make sure I have a consistent product. Non of this "bad batch" problems other companies have. In order to do this i need to make a large number of panels trying different things. I don't want to put up a picture of one good product like many other companies do and have the customer end up with something that is not the same. Hince why I am clearing alot more then just one.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #46
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Ok cool, cause I think I might rather have a non cleared one. Would obviously like to see final side by side pics. But I probably don't need clear.

What is the shipping ETA you think?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #47
FRpilot
Post Whore!

I got a chance to look at one of the 9k Racing panels in person recently. It's actually pretty thin and the bottom of it is the usual fiberglass with what looks like a layer of carbon fiber on top to make it look nice. (I'm assuming this is what is meant when people say companies like VIS don't make real carbon fiber hoods, it's really all fiberglass with a layer or two of carbon fiber on top for looks). The hood latch area also needs to be notched/dremeled because it doesn't match the hood latch location. In all, it's what should be expected from a "made in china/ebay" product.

Anyways, after looking at that piece, I'm hoping yours is of much higher quality. I don't know too much about carbon fiber manufacturing (need to learn more about kevlar, dry carbon, etc.), but I do know that fiberglass with a layer of carbon is not real cf. Garage Defend is probably real cf.

Can you explain some carbon fiber basics? I'm assuming yours is full carbon throughout and you mention vacuum bagging? What is that? Will it have the carbon weave appearance on the bottom and top of the panel and basically all around?

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #48
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
I got a chance to look at one of the 9k Racing panels in person recently. It's actually pretty thin and the bottom of it is the usual fiberglass with what looks like a layer of carbon fiber on top to make it look nice. (I'm assuming this is what is meant when people say companies like VIS don't make real carbon fiber hoods, it's really all fiberglass with a layer or two of carbon fiber on top for looks). The hood latch area also needs to be notched/dremeled because it doesn't match the hood latch location. In all, it's what should be expected from a "made in china/ebay" product.

Anyways, after looking at that piece, I'm hoping yours is of much higher quality. I don't know too much about carbon fiber manufacturing (need to learn more about kevlar, dry carbon, etc.), but I do know that fiberglass with a layer of carbon is not real cf. Garage Defend is probably real cf.

Can you explain some carbon fiber basics? I'm assuming yours is full carbon throughout and you mention vacuum bagging? What is that? Will it have the carbon weave appearance on the bottom and top of the panel and basically all around?
yes it is 100% carbon fiber with epoxy resin, why epoxy and not polyester like every one else, when polyester is up to 1000% cheaper? Polyester never fully hardens. Meaning its constantly letting off solvents in its life time. This causes shrinking and warping.Also because how polyester is linked at a molecular level, it is weaker then epoxy. Epoxy has higher heat resistance, it fully cures and is stronger.
Vacuum bagging is a process where the laminate is sealed in a plastic film along with other materials where the air is pumped out. the pressure differential between the outside of the bag and inside creates compacting pressure, this pressure in-turn compacts the laminate under the film bleeding off all excess resin and air. Creating a a part that is both light and strong.
For a part to be both light and strong it needs to have little resin as possible without having too little that it does not saturate the fabric. 70 percent fiber to 30 percent resin seems to be the ideal rati for strength to weight to cosmetics. Regular vacuum bagging has about a 60-65% fiber to resin, infusion/prepreg is about 70-30. Wet layups which is standard on 90% of parts bought can be any where from 10-50% fiber to resin,
carbon fiber basics, there is way to much to cover in a for sale post. really it should be its own post. Basically if your buying a "carbon fiber" hood for less then 1000 bucks its not carbon most likely not even remotely optimized for strength to weight, meaning its #1 design factor was to do it for cheapest possible, don't even get me started on the scam that every one uses "dry carbon"
I have a original garage defend panel. its just 1 layer of carbon with a carbon matt behind it.The part it self is about the thickness of 4 sheets of paper.If carbon is done right it does not need to be thick to make a suitable part. Makeing parts thick kind of defeats the purpose of using carbon.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #49
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Great explanation now im sure that sunroof panel will be of great quality cant wait for that.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Can you comment on Seibon's "rolled edges" for premium look? Does anyone sell a carbon product with sharp jagged edges like they just cut it? VIS hoods I've seen have smooth edges. Is Seibon's "rolled edges" just marketing? The edges on your product will be smooth too?

Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #51
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
Can you comment on Seibon's "rolled edges" for premium look? Does anyone sell a carbon product with sharp jagged edges like they just cut it? VIS hoods I've seen have smooth edges. Is Seibon's "rolled edges" just marketing? The edges on your product will be smooth too?
Althoe rolled edges do make a mold harder to make, it is just marketing. Even if the mold didn't have the edges rolled, the builder can get the same effect by cutting the panel a little long and sanding the edges round. It also adds strength to the part. The down side of rolled edges is that the part dimensions can not be fine tuned to fit its particular application. In parts like the cooling panel edge fitment is not as critical as in a hood or fender.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
billyblaze
Zilvia Addict

billyblaze is a well-known jackass
Sign me up would love to have a carbon fiber one

I have a 96 and a 98 240sx with crappy sunroofs so hit me up if this happens also

The panel is for my 98
billyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
BspeedIL82
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
BspeedIL82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can't wait for this.
BspeedIL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #54
twistedsymphony
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (19)
twistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of lighttwistedsymphony is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
If I can still get a CF panel at the group buy price I'll take one.
twistedsymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #55
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

here is a picture of a cleared panel. I am wating on some materals to make some non cleared ones then i will take some high res pictures with the entire batch.

The crazy heat is making it difficult for me to make anything right now. Hopefully it will cool down enough where i can start making these things again.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #56
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
It looks like it turned out pretty well. When you get the others finished, would it be possible to see pics of both installed? So I can better visualize which finish I would like?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #57
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yep. Still definitely want one.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #58
billyblaze
Zilvia Addict

billyblaze is a well-known jackass
I still want one also
billyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #59
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblaze View Post
I still want one also
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #60
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silnv View Post
It looks like it turned out pretty well. When you get the others finished, would it be possible to see pics of both installed? So I can better visualize which finish I would like?
yup, thats the plan. I am trying these on a few diffrent cars at the moment, adjusting holes so that the panel will fit on cars with minor damage.