Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #301
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Update:

Well Needed to get the car over to the fab shop to re-do my lower radiator mounts. The new fan and shroud added to the over-all length of the radiator/shroud/fan assembly by an inch and a half. So it hit the lower coolant inlet. I moved the whole assembly forward, re drilled and tapped new mount holes and decided I was going to try and drive the car to the Fab shop 10 miles away to get the mounts done. I really wanted to test the new fan set up out. It was 91 degrees F out. And I am pleased to say that the car saw no more than 86 Degrees Celsius on my journey. I sat at red lights, cruising at 2800RPM in 3rd, coolant temps were no mroe than 86 C. coming to a stop the temps would always drop quickly back down to 83-84 degrees Celsius. I'm VERY happy and this was a HUGE step and improvement. Now I'll add ducting and Call the system complete.

Stopped by my girlfriends house on my voyage home... Made the 20 Mile round trip, problem free...and without getting pulled over haha.

Here are the new lower radiator mounts. Left a little room for rubber

While I was there I put the tools to good use... and made a new Gauge plate. The old one I made was too short by 1/4 inch haha..bad measurement..

holes and measures

gauge holes complete but needed to get my dremel out for the 2 rectangle cut outs for the PBM EGT displays

Also got BJ to whip up a Mid pipe so the bottom of my car wouldn't get caked with oil and the like

Installed and complete

Ordered 2 more 4" 90's and i'm going to look for a nice muffler tonight.
And worked on my alignment a bit more. This is a pretty damn tedious process..and I can't wait to get the damn thing to an alignment shop.

I stopped and got a full tank of gas at chevron and drove back to the house. Pretty sweet actually driving the car but I'm not going out again as the car is beyond loud. Ringing ears just from the short trips. But the Carbonetic Metal 2-way LSD was finally done being broken in so I changed diff fluid

And I finished dremeling out the gauge panel but I havn't taken any pics yet. So i'll have to snap a few later on today.

Thats where I'm at currently. I'm still having problems bleeding the brakes......even with speed-bleeders. May need to bench bleed the master again. We'll see. But the car is VERY close to being ready to tune. I'm going tomiss my deadline completion date this weekend. Thunder on the lot....I wanted to drive so bad, but maybe I'll just plop the car in the show just for kicks. Can't wait to get this car on the dyno, registered and ready to rip!! More updates soon! stay tuned!!
Mannykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #302
Shanevasquez
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Shanevasquez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love you.... No homo...
I love FD's and to see one built this bad is is well... bad ass! lol
Shanevasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #303
Bumpkin203
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Bumpkin203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Them Advans are the tits man, props on the wheel choice.

Instagram @bankai_r32
Bumpkin203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #304
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ Thanks guys!

Yea I love the wheels...but god I Wish they'dve made more aggressive offset choices. The +45 in the front is killing me haha.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #305
05subysti
Zilvia Addict

05subysti is an unknown quantity at this point
wow the offset selection does blow on the advan tciii's lol well your car looks awesome man. what color you painting the exterior?

I know how you feel, sometimes its unreal how loud these cars are.

glad you kept the rotary instead of doing a swap, ive always loved the brap BRAP BRAPPPPPPPP haha
05subysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #306
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
this is my favorite build on zilvia lol. i only come in to the build thread just to check updates. i cant wait to see the tune video !
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #307
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
This very well be one of the only build threads that I didn't skip to the end after looking over the first page to see if it was even worth reading about. I just need to personally thank you for not wasting my time with making a shitty build thread like 94% of the others out there and actually doing legit work and keeping my eyes wide and my mouth open like a kid on Christmas the whole time.

Such a dope car, man. Keep it up.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #308
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ hey man I really appreciate that. Thanks a bunch!!

Update:

Well I guess there has been quite a bit of action since I last got on here. Been very busy tidying up everything and getting ready for tunning. The car Runs, the cooling system is beyond what I hoped for. I had a check list of things I had to make sure were in tip top shape before hitting the dyno. Those things were:

-No leaks
-Coolant system in check
-No Vac Leaks
-All couplers nice and toight...like tigers..
-Full tank of 91
-Pre-mixed at correct ratio^

And so I scheduled my dyno tune after I had everything....or what I thought was everything in check.

Got the car loaded up

Then got a flat tire on the way there and ended up being an hour late because of the traffic as well. Also the tune was scheduled with Nelson at RRR.
After he asked me a few smaller questions about the build we strapped the car up

It was exciting and hard not to be my own fanboi. I kept thinking to myself....."is that really the car I built in my garage?" Nelson got started right away. And everything went smooth...Until about 4500 RPM The log would just cut out. The communication between the ecu and the lap-top would just cut out completely. After about 30 min of trying new usb cables and even a new lap top... Nelson told me that we should just stop... I should take the car home and figure it out, that way i'm not paying for a problem I could fix on my own. So it was a bit dissappointing..but we spent 4 hours on the dyno and Nelson must've done 13-16 pulls. He tuned the car fully N/A without boost to make sure our next session was quick and since it's all V/E... theoretically I should be able to install the charge pipe and get mashing. I'm not going to do that though... I'm going to take the car back down to him so he can keep his eye on it. But Anyways.. He said that the set up was really unique.. and he was surprised I built it in my garage...and it didn't blow up. I couldn't help but be proud that there were no leaks, no mechanical failures.. and that he said my Cooling system was working excellently and he didn't even have to watch it after the first few pulls. It was about 85-90 degrees F in the shop and we didn't even have a snail fan on the radiator... Just a shop "Costco" fan blowing over the bay haha. SO with ducting I'm giong to say that the cooling system...IC and Radiator will function even better. Even close to the "Optimum level" as some of you guys are so gaylee set on achieving haha. <--thats another rant for another time though.
Anyways.. Here is a teaser video of the car on the dyno... It was so loud..and Nelson had the car humming at 6-7k rpm N/A smoothing things out for a good min or two.. It was rad to see the Long runner Header glowing BRIGHT RED. And for anyone who ever doubted the "gold heat reflective Tape. I will Stand by it for the rest of my life. Because Where I put it... my paint didn't get damaged. Theres a small area down on the frame rail that started bubbling and the paint pretty much boiled to shit because it was bare. But everywhere I put the reflective tape.. the paint was nice and smooth still... so yes It works. ANd if you don't think so...then I don't give a shit.
Also.....when your car is on the dyno at higher RPM's you start to really second guess if you torqued everything down correctly haha. Luckily... everything was good to go! ..but here is the teaser vid of the car N/A on the dyno

When I left the dyno I made another check list of what to fix so I could get some boost into this skeezy lady.

My list:
Fix ECU cut-out
New Plugs
More Gold reflective
Change tires (had a flat spot) so nelson was vibrating
Install Flex Fuel Sensor
New Battery because I had cranking problems from a 60% charged battery. I accidently left my dome light on over night.....<dumb Fduke
Install this

and this

and possibly Complete Radiator Ducting =-)
So I got to work and got everything but the radiator ducting, flex fuel sensor and Racepak installed. I may hold off on the race pack display until I get tuned just so I'm not rushed. That way it turns out really nice instead of "getting the job done." So Updates will come soon. I'll try and get back to the dyno in the next couple weeks to make some power.

Progress!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #309
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
Nice progress! your car sounds like and animal! i cant wait to see/hear dyno on boost

race pack is going to look sick

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #310
ThirtyTwo

ThirtyTwo is an unknown quantity at this point
What spark plugs are you running? I've had ecu connection drop at high rpm/boost due to running non-resistor spark plugs.
ThirtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #311
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
just went through the whole thread. great build, man. top shelf, ya know.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #312
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2nr View Post
Nice progress! your car sounds like and animal! i cant wait to see/hear dyno on boost

race pack is going to look sick
Me too!! i'm excited!! looking for neat/clean ways to install it!! I got something in mind though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyTwo View Post
What spark plugs are you running? I've had ecu connection drop at high rpm/boost due to running non-resistor spark plugs.
I was actually just running the wrong firmware. Two versions old actually haha. Newest version is top notch......wayyyyyy faster comms and built in dead times for sized injectors... woot! I love the Adaptronic ECU!! I just found some new plugs that work just as well as the expensive ass NGK 7420 plugs 10/10.5's too!!

Google Autolite AR3932X THey're NASCAR race plugs....but theydon't cost 140 dollars for 4 like the NGK's!! they only cost 3 dollars a piece!! and you can get them at o'reilleys!!!

the 32 is equivelent to heat range 10. so thats what i'll be running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
just went through the whole thread. great build, man. top shelf, ya know.

Thanks much!! looking forward to getting back on the dyno with Nelson from RRR!!

Updates soon!!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #313
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
wow. 12 bucks is way better than 140.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #314
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Missed you at Thunder dude! Hadn't checked the thread for a while so I saw Bruce pull up I thought it was yours for a second.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #315
Keenan Galley

Keenan Galley is an unknown quantity at this point
Great job! followed from the start
Keenan Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #316
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update: Tune date is set for early July!! Will drive the car around to make sure everything is dandy and ready! In the mean-time I made a radiator duct!

Check it out!

made a break out of some scrap metal/wood and a vice

roll cuts

nice roll...not too shabby..

measuring and spacing

side plate template..

cut them out with my angle grinder haha..not the most nible of tools

clamp

rivit

noice....

almost done

inside metal tape to keep it air tight and cover rivits

and used door weather stripping as the base so it's not metal on metal

pretty much done.....

forgot to take a picture of it trimmed so the nose isn't sticking out like a duck bill but i'll snap some pics later
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #317
nujabe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
nujabe can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
did you buy the metal from lowes ? i wanna make one to !!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #318
-SpOoLiN-
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
-SpOoLiN- is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Really great build. Lots of precious time taken to do right
-SpOoLiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #319
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Yes! Damn 50 bucks...and I need another two sheets for the I/c duct. Not sure where to pull air from though.... wish I could go bumperless all the time. Duct work to oil coolers next!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #320
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

ooops.....totally forgot to update this... well I got to the dyn...but ran into a flow problem. So i'm going to throw on a OEM Upper Intake Manifold to see if that solves the problem and we'll go from there But here's a dyno video. The car made 300RWHP and 270 Tq off the W/G springs... @ .8 Bar. But we are down roughly 65-70 RWHP compared to most 35R, street ported fd's. But i'll get it sorted out and get back on the rollers soon enough. Till then... I made ducts for my Radiator and Intercooler. they came out good!

Check it out!

made a break out of some scrap metal/wood and a vice

roll cuts

nice roll...not too shabby..

measuring and spacing

side plate template..

cut them out with my angle grinder haha..not the most nible of tools

clamp

rivit

noice....

almost done

inside metal tape to keep it air tight and cover rivits

and used door weather stripping as the base so it's not metal on metal

pretty much done.....

I was sitting in the garage last night....just kinda staring at the car....trying to justify taking it out after 9:45 pm ....haha and I remembered I had already cut all the pieces for my I/C duct. So I put away my thoughts of burnouts and flames from the W/g's and got to work. This time around I Placed each individual piece where it needed to be on the I/C before I rivited it on. With the Radiator duct... I had to re-do the bottom section because there was a quarter inch gap all the way across. So this time I measured...placed on the I/C, Clamped THEN rivited.
Here are some process pics:
Side clearance before door molding

Bottom sheet measured and taped for mocking

Drivers side measured and rivited....fits awesome!

More clearance... This one fits even better than the Radiator duct.

as you can see.. I made the top part of the duct......pretty much wrap around the top flat section of the I/C so that it clamps the underside... if that makes sense. This way I would only Need one solid mount on the bottom half of the duct to keep it secure.

Here is a picture of the intake tract... The radiator duct is getting smashed by the damn god aweful Relay box that I'm trying to conjure up enough motivation to relocate haha. But i'm going to find a Nice Long threaded bolt that will connect the two ducts and help keep them sturdy at speed. I'm also going to make 4 more bends to the leading most edge's both top and bottom to help with rigidity....and lastly trip off the excess so that they all sit nice and straight....or flush with each other. But I really like the way it came out. I'll add some weather stripping/door molding so that it sits even more flush and get some metal exhaust tape on there to make it even more air tight.....and call it done!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #321
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small update:

Radiator ducting and Intercooler Ducting is finished! I may or may not add the Weather stripping to the I/C duct... It fits so well I'm not sure it needs it. I forgot to take pics but it now mounts simply with 2 bolts that connect it to the Radiator duct...and it is VERY solid. Tested it up to 90mph and it didn't budge.

Looks mean as hell too..

Also started doing a real alignment last night... if it doesn't drive straight after this.... I'm just taking it to a shop haha. But I spent a couple hours on just setting it up last night..hopefully today I can finish it. we'll see!

More to come.. Stay Tuned!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #322
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
^ self alignment looks pretty legit.... ... ..
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #323
oscarsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
oscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-knownoscarsx is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Beautiful

- oz
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #324
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
looks mean as hell! wish you lived closer id love to come check your setup out! self alignments are the best. i tend to use the string method works like a charm!

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #325
BlewByYou
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
BlewByYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I just got an fd for another toy.. Pm me ur facebook link.
BlewByYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #326
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

THanks guys! I think I messed up somewhere doing the alignment.. THe car pulls pretty badly to the right. I had the car on the ground when I was doing it but either my method sucks... or something is severely bent on the car because measurements on the rear wheels are dead on but my drivers side rear looks....off. looking from the rear of the car it looks as if it is pointed inward with all sorts of pigeon toe haha. Passenger side rear doesn't look like that at all. I think i'm just going to get my ride height exactly where I want it and take it to get professionally aligned. I just hate paying for stuff I could do on my own. Anyways... More to come!! stay tuned!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #327
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
THanks guys! I think I messed up somewhere doing the alignment.. THe car pulls pretty badly to the right. I had the car on the ground when I was doing it but either my method sucks... or something is severely bent on the car because measurements on the rear wheels are dead on but my drivers side rear looks....off. looking from the rear of the car it looks as if it is pointed inward with all sorts of pigeon toe haha. Passenger side rear doesn't look like that at all. I think i'm just going to get my ride height exactly where I want it and take it to get professionally aligned. I just hate paying for stuff I could do on my own. Anyways... More to come!! stay tuned!
There's no reason to not pay for an alignment. There's so many factors a machine can measure that you can't do with a string alignment. You either have an issue with thrust angle or caster (assuming you got your camber at least somewhat close). Caster and camber will cause a steering pull more than toe will.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #328
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
^ self alignment looks pretty legit.... ... ..

stupid message length
Old 07-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #329
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
There's no reason to not pay for an alignment. There's so many factors a machine can measure that you can't do with a string alignment. You either have an issue with thrust angle or caster (assuming you got your camber at least somewhat close). Caster and camber will cause a steering pull more than toe will.
exactly.. I was doing the toe. and realized that camber wasn't even where I wanted to be. Then I realized I was over my head haha. So like I said.. I'll get ride height where I want it and take it in to a professional to get sorted out
Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #330
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Small Pic update:

Got some parts... A couple harnesses... my CAN interface for my Racepak IQ3 Display to be able to display all of my Adaptronic live gauges, my Innovate TC-4 so I can Log my EGT's and some other things in the works as well.

Crow 4 point =-)

Sparco passenger harness..... Will most likely replace but it was a steal so i'm amped on it

and a couple lurking pics