Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
installed WS harness. car only starts on starting fluid

So i have been having this annoying issue with my car breaking up under throttle so i replaced the harness with a wiring specialties since its the last not new component. my car went from starting on its own to needing starting fluid and the only thing that changed was the harness.

BTW once its started it stays running

im guessing it has something to with an orange wire i believe it triggers all four injectors to fire every crank while starting. the ws guy wasnt very much help he kept saying my issue doesnt make sense. i guess hes never worked on a 240

i havent tested Fuel pressure since the harness install but i did check it very recently, twice and it was spot on, then i had the car in the shop getting looked at last week and they said the samething fuel pressure is spot on
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
so...... get a set of noid lights and make sure injectors are firing while you crank the car, also monitor spark at the same time.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly and check the TPS sensor to make sure you didnt accidentally move it around when you plugged in the harness, stick a paper clip in the middle wire and put that on your positive terminal for a multimeter next put the black lead onto the chassis or intake manifold. it should read .45 volts closed throttle
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
you can have the TPS way out of wack with no starting issues (car might idle higher or drive itself). i havent got the noid lights yet but im 100% sure the injectors are firing on start up.

Ive seen this before on a chevy pickup with low fuel pressure (which i highly doubt is the case atm)
and when my 240's ignition timing was off it would do the samething, which is plausible cause i set my distributor a tooth off on purpose. but why would my old harness let me start my car no issues a tooth off then i switch my harness and now it cant start.
the distributor is a very big gray area for me so it seems plausible resistance changes in wiring caused this (though i think its highly unlikely my old harness was really good condition)

im pretty sure my reman dizzy was a failure out of the box so when i get the next unit im gonna set my timing the way the fsm says to and we will see what happens and hopefully ill be ambitious and get my noid lights today
Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
unicoder
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
unicoder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
These people are trying to help, it's considered a little rude to ask a question on here and then just reply with why their suggestions aren't good.

First off, the previous comments:
- Noid light rental is FREE
- Check your TPS because these cars are notorious for needing them adjusted/replaced
- Check your Fuel Pressure. If you "highly doubting" it's an issue is enough not to test something, you got a bad road ahead with the car

Also, Check the little things, they can sneak up on you seriously.

Since you said the ONLY thing that changed was the harness if it were me I would start there to see what was missed. It may be a grounding issue, if you have a wideband watch your AFR at idle as you toggle the accessories/lights/AC/wipers. Does it drop .5-1 point each time you turn one on or off?

If so, or just a good idea in general - Did you remember to ground the harness when hooking it up? Is your engine grounded to chassis? do you have an extra ground strap from the neg battery terminal to the engine?

5.3 V8 Swap w/ Nitrous
unicoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

the reason im highly doubting fuel pressure is cause i have checked it multiple times within the last month.
but yeah i had the engine grounded to the chassis. i did up all the grounds on the harness
i tried restting the ignition timing and ended up going a tooth out again cause the car wouldnt start with the timing marks lined up
the problem just kind of went away after a few start ups though so i guess I will see in the future if it ever happens anymore
Old 06-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I had a friend put a Wiring specialty harness into a 240sx. It started having misfires at random. Finally I found that one of the pins in the harness wasn't making good contact with the ECU.

I had to shove some bits of wire in there to get it to be consistent.

Just a heads up that WS isn't exactly quality control

maybe the orange one isn't really making good contact in the ECU plug sometimes.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote