Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Steve15

Trader Rating: (0)
Steve15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s15 attach turbo onto N/A s15 sr20de

I have a few questions about attaching a stock t25 turbo onto a N/A s15 sr20de engine. What all would I have to do to insure I did the process correct and not blow my engine? Other than the turbo, turbo manifold, front mount, and piping, what else would I need to run the engine safely? Also, I heard that I would have to change the compression on my engine to safely run a turbo, which right now my n/a engine is running at 9.5:1 compression. How would I change my compression, if necessary. I am looking for all the help I can get. Thank you very much
Steve15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
Get a good computer and tune the setup on the dyno... The higher compression will help spool the turbo and it will be completely safe once tuned...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
AdamR
Leaky Injector

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
I just want to take this opportunity to reiterate that compression has nothing to do with spool rpm of a turbo.
AdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Steve15

Steve15 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I don't have to worry about compression to run a turbo?
Steve15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
I just want to take this opportunity to reiterate that compression has nothing to do with spool rpm of a turbo.
It's been my understanding that compression will affect the power made before the combustion chamber sees boost. It may also increase the risk of detonation, which will dictate the kind of fuel you will have to use to prevent it.

You should be fine putting a turbo on an NA SR, a 9.5:1 CR is generally considered to be at the upper limit of conservative.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
the point is to run less boost, which helps to achieve that level of boost faster. 7psi@2700 rpm for example, vs 11 psi @3200

Its not actually spooling the turbo faster!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeboy355 View Post
Get a good computer and tune the setup on the dyno... The higher compression will help spool the turbo and it will be completely safe once tuned...
In the case of the OP. Your'e absolutely right. 9.5:1 ratio is not that high. It's actually my preffered CR so it not to lazy off boost. We just got to finish the same setup I sold to a friend running a reflashed S13 KA24DE ECU.

Quote:
While it may not be significant in regards to the OP setup. Having high comp does assist on faster spooling a larger turbine turbo. My KA-T is on 11:1, E85 and Holset..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve15 View Post
So I don't have to worry about compression to run a turbo?
If your'e just refering to CR between 8-9.5 all you need is a solid tune on the best pump gas you can get 91-93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
It's been my understanding that compression will affect the power made before the combustion chamber sees boost. It may also increase the risk of detonation, which will dictate the kind of fuel you will have to use to prevent it.

You should be fine putting a turbo on an NA SR, a 9.5:1 CR is generally considered to be at the upper limit of conservative.
Agreed..

Here's a pic for the OP...

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
AdamR
Leaky Injector

^No it doesn't.
High compression has no effect on spool rpm. The amount of time to get to spool rpm is another story, though.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
I stand corrected... Higher compression yields more power in general but does not affect the spool up characteristics...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Everybody around here thats done this has blown their engine. Always a piston failure.
There is not a single one of these S15 NA engines with a turbocharger that has lasted more than 5k miles.

Just a heads up. I am not saying its going to blow up also, just that most of the time, these turbocharger installs are not done right.
And it needs to be done right.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
winter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
winter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Have been down this road before. This is info off the top of my head from years ago, sorry if I'm wrong but I think I'm mostly spot on.

Oil Problems
Engine does not have oil squirters, might want to get an oil cooler for your oil.

Cam Angle Sensor
You want to get the cam angle sensor from a turbo engine. IIRC you can use S14 CAS with the S15 engine.

Compression
You also might want to try to lower the compression, but I know you can do 8PSI fine, don't go above that you will regret it. Also, might want to look into deeper oil pan + catch can setup for that...get a good tuner too.

You're looking at $1500 for a good reliable setup on top of whatever you got. Do it right or don't do it at all. Get NEO AFC and all that stuff and get a good conservative tune.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You're in okinawa...you'd be better off/cheaper in the long run/safer to swap in a turbo engine in it than slap a damn T25 turbo on it. Plus with the shitty base gas (86 octane since AAFES suck balls), slapping a turbo on an NA car is a very very bad idea.

If damn kei cars are knocking on that gas, a ghetto rigged turbo setup on an NA car will blow that engine faster a kukojo jumping a black guys dick.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
AdamR
Leaky Injector

Not having oil squirters would not make the oil any hotter.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Walperstyle
Nissanaholic!

Walperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really niceWalperstyle is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Walperstyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
You're in okinawa...you'd be better off/cheaper in the long run/safer to swap in a turbo engine in it than slap a damn T25 turbo on it. Plus with the shitty base gas (86 octane since AAFES suck balls), slapping a turbo on an NA car is a very very bad idea.

If damn kei cars are knocking on that gas, a ghetto rigged turbo setup on an NA car will blow that engine faster a kukojo jumping a black guys dick.
Can you elaborate on why your advice is better then Ground Performances? Have you actually built a turbo car before; or had someone else do it for you?

Quote:
correct, it will risk the wear on wrist pins and small end rod bearings only.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Everybody around here thats done this has blown their engine. Always a piston failure.
There is not a single one of these S15 NA engines with a turbocharger that has lasted more than 5k miles.

Just a heads up. I am not saying its going to blow up also, just that most of the time, these turbocharger installs are not done right.
LOL Just Wow.. Please to some that has done this and has piston failure it's mostly not of mechanical reason but simply not having theyre tuning part covered and if staying stock knowing it's limit. S15 NA-T not lasted more than 5K "please". Tell that to the Sentra guys and theyre FWD SR20 NA-T. While your at it dismiss KA-T as well.

It's even simpler to boost this motors considering DET parts will bolt right on. You can even slap a turbo valve cover and just convert to DET ECU and COP. Guys it's simple.. Take care of the tuning regardless which ECU you use and know your limitation stock or built and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Have been down this road before. This is info off the top of my head from years ago, sorry if I'm wrong but I think I'm mostly spot on.

Oil Problems
Engine does not have oil squirters, might want to get an oil cooler for your oil.

Oil Squirters does help but its not exactly a problem. If running stock stay below 300whp and it will be fine.

Cam Angle Sensor
You want to get the cam angle sensor from a turbo engine. IIRC you can use S14 CAS with the S15 engine.

Again SR CAS is nice being able to detect all cylinders as suppose to just cyl 1 on distributor setup. It's not a problem either plenty of KA-T guys still running distributor on well over 400whp.

Compression
You also might want to try to lower the compression, but I know you can do 8PSI fine, don't go above that you will regret it. Also, might want to look into deeper oil pan + catch can setup for that...get a good tuner too.

9.5:1 is not exactly that high of a compression just an FYI.. I dont think were talking Autech NA S15 here. This is actually a perfect comp IMO for running moderate boost levels so the motor decent bottom end.

Quote:

Definitely stay NA if 86 is the best gas you can get.. How can it be ghetto rig if most DET parts can actually bolt right in.

Quote:
Agreed.. It's to aid on cooling.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundPerformance View Post
[COLOR=darkred]LOL Just Wow.. Please to some that has done this and has piston failure it's mostly not of mechanical reason but simply not having theyre tuning part covered and if staying stock knowing it's limit.
So, what you are saying is, they have not done it right, so it blew up.

Quote:
I am not saying its going to blow up also, just that most of the time, these turbocharger installs are not done right.
Sounds familiar
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
So, what you are saying is, they have not done it right, so it blew up.

Sounds familiar
It's simple you can't dismiss any setup just because they're plenty of people who turbo their NA motors and choose to cut corners. Any setup done right can be just as reliable as long as you stay within limits. SR20DE+T or KA24-T doesn't matter. You should find some KA-T threads post the same thing since your basis is the same anyways.

Quote:

You're like saying something and taking it right back in the same line.. This applies to any motor not just S15 NA.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Also.. If anyone here thinks this motor is not boost worthy and not worth much LMK if your in Socal I'll buy them from you and put that to good use. I'll even buy just the S14/S15 NA Distributor only should you convert to run DET ECU and COP. I actually now have access solid rom tune for this setups running KA ECU.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walperstyle View Post
Can you elaborate on why your advice is better then Ground Performances? Have you actually built a turbo car before; or had someone else do it for you?

correct, it will risk the wear on wrist pins and small end rod bearings only.
Quote:
LOL Just Wow.. Please to some that has done this and has piston failure it's mostly not of mechanical reason but simply not having theyre tuning part covered and if staying stock knowing it's limit. S15 NA-T not lasted more than 5K "please". Tell that to the Sentra guys and theyre FWD SR20 NA-T. While your at it dismiss KA-T as well.

It's even simpler to boost this motors considering DET parts will bolt right on. You can even slap a turbo valve cover and just convert to DET ECU and COP. Guys it's simple.. Take care of the tuning regardless which ECU you use and know your limitation stock or built and you will be fine.

Definitely stay NA if 86 is the best gas you can get.. How can it be ghetto rig if most DET parts can actually bolt right in.

Agreed.. It's to aid on cooling.
Simply put, he's in Okinawa Japan. He can pick up a damn DET turbo for less than $500, and get that swapped in. If you have that option, would you really wanna fuck around with going SR20DE-T? He'd probably spend atleast $100 just trying to find a good T25 turbo, manifold, and elbow. Then he'd still have to fuck around with the oil lines. Once he figure out how he's gonna do that, then he still have to fuck around with getting it tuned.

I've seen enough folks buy a damn Spec S S15, swap in an S14 SR20 and still save themselves $2-3k from buying a Spec R.

Besides, if this kid is asking this kind of question...I highly doubt he knows anything about tuning. Only thing that I can see that folks in Japan would fuck with for this setup is a SAFC. Would you really trust a SAFC on a DE-T on shitty 86 base gas? He can buy off base gas and spent $120 on a tank of gas.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Simply put, he's in Okinawa Japan. He can pick up a damn DET turbo for less than $500, and get that swapped in. If you have that option, would you really wanna fuck around with going SR20DE-T? He'd probably spend atleast $100 just trying to find a good T25 turbo, manifold, and elbow. Then he'd still have to fuck around with the oil lines. Once he figure out how he's gonna do that, then he still have to fuck around with getting it tuned.

I've seen enough folks buy a damn Spec S S15, swap in an S14 SR20 and still save themselves $2-3k from buying a Spec R.
Trust me I own a built S14 Kouki SR20DET and just recently finished the S15 SR20DE+T for a friend. so I understand the cost factor and would definitely agree to go DE-T right of the bat should you have easier and affordable access to it. I'm simply stating if you have one now regardless where you are it's really not that bad of a platform to boost considering DET parts bolts in.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
It's simple you can't dismiss any setup just because they're plenty of people who turbo their NA motors and choose to cut corners. Any setup done right can be just as reliable as long as you stay within limits. SR20DE+T or KA24-T doesn't matter. You should find some KA-T threads post the same thing since your basis is the same anyways.

You're like saying something and taking it right back in the same line.. This applies to any motor not just S15 NA.
This is what you should have posted to begin with, and yes it applies to everybody and every engine, which is why I said it to begin with: it was a true statement, my ass was covered and nobody could disagree, which is what you tried to do, and failed, which means you did not really read it the first time around;

I like to use truthful statements when I type to the internet, dont you? Makes it easier for people to sort through the bullshit.

Quote:

Besides, if this kid is asking this kind of question...I highly doubt he knows anything about tuning. Only thing that I can see that folks in Japan would fuck with for this setup is a SAFC. Would you really trust a SAFC on a DE-T on shitty 86 base gas? He can buy off base gas and spent $120 on a tank of gas.
This is very good advice, and I will say the same exact thing in a different way:

There are many possibilities to make mistakes for the inexperienced when attempting to turbocharge a non-turbo engine, including but not limited to:
oil lines/restriction/return
gaskets/bolt pattern
OEM limitations are not observed
tuning, including fuel system

Many folks are simply do have the patience, and cannot forestall all of the risks of modifying an internal combustion engine. Even engineers are learning from their mistakes; everybody starts somewhere, and ends up somewhere, but very few people graduate to rocket science physics from hands on mechanic work experience errors- which means comparing the organic structure of the desired fuel being used with the inlet constituents and properties for the combustion process is not thoroughly being sorted. Many of these jobs are plug and pray.

If the op wants a turbocharger on his SR20 engine, I would strongly advise he acquire an engine that comes equipped with a turbocharger from the factory. The cost is not so much greater than what he is faced with now, and the effort will be rewarded with elimination of guess work, except where concerning the quality of the fuel and such variables that cannot directly be accounted for regularly (there is always a risk of bad gas).
Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Go ahead OP just do a swap. Sounds like your being judge already to be incapable of not being able to do the what's needed to convert properly. But should you consider to think outside the box LMK I'll assist you via PM. good luck on your future build regardless of which route you choose.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
JDMRIDDAZ
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JDMRIDDAZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
SR

i had a feeling u could run a s14 ka24de ecu on a s14-s15 sr20de
i hAVE A S13 SR20DE-T running on a stock ka24de ecu with 370cc injectors with a n60 maf...set at 7psi...runs fine...
on any na-t setup tuning is the make or break factor...if u dont tune
dont be surprised if it blows....
my next build is a s14 sr20de with det pistons and a t3/t4 with a s14 ka24de
na sr20de-t is really budget building..but if u get it tuned it will last longer then a ka24de-t for sure
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMRIDDAZ View Post
i had a feeling u could run a s14 ka24de ecu on a s14-s15 sr20de
i hAVE A S13 SR20DE-T running on a stock ka24de ecu with 370cc injectors with a n60 maf...set at 7psi...runs fine...
on any na-t setup tuning is the make or break factor...if u dont tune
dont be surprised if it blows....
my next build is a s14 sr20de with det pistons and a t3/t4 with a s14 ka24de
na sr20de-t is really budget building..but if u get it tuned it will last longer then a ka24de-t for sure
S14 SR20DE+T don't do it it won't last 5k... Lol Jk..! Nice setup btw. S14 ECU will work but from the zenki only. You can rom tune those or rock a Nistune Type 3 board which is nicer.

<< Join the FB Group >>
Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #25
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
bumping this for updates?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote