Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #661
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
razmus has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^Junkyard! SC300/GS300s. Clip em, pocket them
razmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #662
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
We don't have sc300/400, supras, gs300, etc with that plug. If anyone has an extra with pigtail I will buy it from them. I need this to get my car running for a drift event on the 15th

If someone could grab me one from a junkyard I will be more than happy
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #663
dpkid101
Zilvia Member

dpkid101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLspeed View Post
We don't have sc300/400, supras, gs300, etc with that plug. If anyone has an extra with pigtail I will buy it from them. I need this to get my car running for a drift event on the 15th

If someone could grab me one from a junkyard I will be more than happy
dang that sucks I was lucky enough my ecu came with one
dpkid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #664
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
I'm unsure if tech2 motorsports is still in business. But i would no longer recommend there wiring service at all.

After 4 years of having there wiring in the car something let go last night causing a fire. in engine harness FEET away from anything i have touched since they did their wiring.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #665
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
I'm unsure if tech2 motorsports is still in business. But i would no longer recommend there wiring service at all.

After 4 years of having there wiring in the car something let go last night causing a fire. in engine harness FEET away from anything i have touched since they did their wiring.
Damn that sucks! What all got burned/was anything seriously damaged?
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #666
razmus
Zilvia Junkie

razmus has a little shameless behavior in the past
^ What area did the fire come from? Did something come in contact with harness? Maybe something rubbed it/cut it/shorted it out?? 4 years is a long time, hope you find out where it came from and nothing was burnt too badly.

BTW thanks for making this thread!! Awesome info.
razmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #667
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
4 years isn't that long for a new harness. That's like buying a new car and having it catch fire 4 years later.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #668
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Black R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengoku View Post
I came to a conclusion that my dual flex a lite fans are not pulling enough air for the setup. The temp started to rise with no A/C when I quickly let off the throttle and put the gear in neutral after a heavy acceleration (up to 6k full boost).

Where are you taking coolant temps at?

Where is your probe?

What's it peaking at?
Black R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #669
alcolade
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
alcolade is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I went about adressing my cooling issues this past week or so and got to drive it around this weekend.

Shitty pic taken from a Vid clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvhjEjxHp8

I also put mufflers on it to see how it sounded.

Theres a shot of the new radiator in.
Its a Speedway dual pass for a chevy. 27"x19" with a Northern Radiator Shroud and (2) SPAL 10" fans.
I also added a Mishimoto Thermo while i was in there.

Car ran hot before. Would do one lap around the track and temps started to climb over 220. That was with a Koyo and Flex-a-Lite fans. Highest i saw was 230ish before i let off.

Next event only changes were adding an oil cooler. Car ran better and didnt seem to go above 210. (it was raining so it was a cooler day also.)

Now driving around I havent seen it go above 180 and thats with the boost to 12psi where prior it was at 9.

Still running the midmount setup and a non vented hood, but you can see my ducting to the top of the radiator since i had to cut the latch out for added air. Ill try to get better pics and definitely let you know how it goes this weekend.

This picture is kinda crappy but you can see more of the radiator and what i had to do to get it to fit.
alcolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #670
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by waste_of_space View Post
Damn that sucks! What all got burned/was anything seriously damaged?
It was a wire labeled power by tech2. We noticed that there was smoke coming from under the dash and shut the car off got the car towed home and went digging, found about 28" of burnt wire that burnt off the wire of about 5 or 6 other wires. We replaced the wires and while we were looking at the wiring we noticed about 8 wire joints that had exposed wires. so if you have a tech2 harness take off the loom and double check everything. I'm assuming there was a short from 1 wire to the other? car restarted first try with the new wiring fixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by razmus View Post
^ What area did the fire come from? Did something come in contact with harness? Maybe something rubbed it/cut it/shorted it out?? 4 years is a long time, hope you find out where it came from and nothing was burnt too badly.

BTW thanks for making this thread!! Awesome info.
It wasen't too bad just frustrated as to how bad it COULD have been if it didn't happen when we tried to start the car, and if it happened when we were driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
4 years isn't that long for a new harness. That's like buying a new car and having it catch fire 4 years later.
exactly...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #671
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcolade View Post
I went about adressing my cooling issues this past week or so and got to drive it around this weekend.

Shitty pic taken from a Vid clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvhjEjxHp8

I also put mufflers on it to see how it sounded.

Theres a shot of the new radiator in.
Its a Speedway dual pass for a chevy. 27"x19" with a Northern Radiator Shroud and (2) SPAL 10" fans.
I also added a Mishimoto Thermo while i was in there.

Car ran hot before. Would do one lap around the track and temps started to climb over 220. That was with a Koyo and Flex-a-Lite fans. Highest i saw was 230ish before i let off.

Next event only changes were adding an oil cooler. Car ran better and didnt seem to go above 210. (it was raining so it was a cooler day also.)

Now driving around I havent seen it go above 180 and thats with the boost to 12psi where prior it was at 9.

Still running the midmount setup and a non vented hood, but you can see my ducting to the top of the radiator since i had to cut the latch out for added air. Ill try to get better pics and definitely let you know how it goes this weekend.

This picture is kinda crappy but you can see more of the radiator and what i had to do to get it to fit.

I like what you've done with the new radiator. :thumbup:
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #672
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
230 is really really hot
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #673
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
has anyone ordered and actually received anything recently from tech2? i want to place an order for a couple small things but i'm not even sure they are still up and running.
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #674
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal264 View Post
has anyone ordered and actually received anything recently from tech2? i want to place an order for a couple small things but i'm not even sure they are still up and running.
what are you looking to get?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #675
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Just an FYI guys: don't buy the oil feed / drain line kit off eBay (cx racing).

http://bit.ly/RKjLrG

My walbro pump died the other day (after 3+ years) and so I replaced it.

While I was in the engine bay cleaning up the wiring, I moved the oil feed line a small amount.

Well I went to start up the car and it sprayed 5qts of oil on the ground.

Yup, the oil feed line was cracked inside the braided sleeving. :/

So now I'm running around looking for the right size / temp / pressure hose and fittings.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #676
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
should be -4 AN x 1/8 npt both ends male for the fittings that go into the turbo and for the one coming out of the motor. so naturally you'll need -4 AN braided line of either Teflon or rubber with the corresponding female x braided fittings
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #677
Black R
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogg0 View Post
should be -4 AN x 1/8 npt both ends male for the fittings that go into the turbo and for the one coming out of the motor. so naturally you'll need -4 AN braided line of either Teflon or rubber with the corresponding female x braided fittings

Ya I ended up driving over to barnettperformance.com and just buying a premade -4 AN 42" braided line with straight fittings already on it. P/n 40042. $18.

I'm gonna put heat sleeving on the side that connects to the turbo.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #678
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
For anyone looking for a downpipe for a 1JZ with stock twins in an S13, be aware that the driftmotion one will hang about 2.5" below the 'frame rail'. I tried to find info on the fitment before buying but saw nothing. I'll get a picture of it next time I have a chance.

I think I'm going to get mine cut and welded to tuck up a bit more, right now it's touching the ground.

Edit:

Bad Picture, but you get the idea. For reference, it's on the S13 below.

Last edited by thefro526; 09-12-2012 at 05:38 AM..
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #679
tengoku

Trader Rating: (-2)
tengoku is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -2 reviews
I'm combating the cooling issue myself currently.

tengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #680
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
91ka24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I finally picked up my 2j last.sat, just replaced all the timing components and seals. Got the motor in yesterday, the mounts were fighting me like no other. i will post pics today!
91ka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #681
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
I finally picked up my 2j last.sat, just replaced all the timing components and seals. Got the motor in yesterday, the mounts were fighting me like no other. i will post pics today!
What mounts did you use?

Im looking to do this swap in the near future would be nice to know what parts have been tried in the past with good results
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #682
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

I believe its the kit from myjz swap, cause its exactly the same as the black kit on the first page of this thread. It was just a hassle because the oil filter is so close to the frame and the motor is a pretty tight fit in my s13. I will post some pics today.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #683
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

here is my mount kit im using

how the motor sits, with is bolted to the mounts the tranny was actually shifted about 1 1/2 inches towards the dr side for some reason, so just took a pry bar and pulled the tranny to the center and bolted it up. then the motor sat centered.

its hard to see but the oil filter to frame clearence is pretty close. but i made sure i can remove the filter before bolting it in place.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #684
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Wow that filter does sit insanely close to the frame
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #685
91ka24
Zilvia Junkie

Ya it does. I have seen people delete the factory oil cooler/filter assembly and just run the filter straight to the block but since I'm just sticking with the stock twins for now I decided to keep the engine as factory as possible. And from this experience i would def recommend everyone who wants to do this swap to not use this mount kit. It blows!!!! When I pull the motor to go single i will be going with the xcessive kit for sure.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #686
bullfrogg0
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
bullfrogg0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanl55ey View Post
I used a factory 93tt supra throttle cable and modified it to fit.
why would you use a Toyota throttle cable when the s chassis cable works just fine?
bullfrogg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #687
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
So I am now at the point where I need to decide on a clutch and want to know what you guys are running. I was thinking about going twin disc to play it safe but its going to kill me and my pocket to spend that kind of money on a clutch. Still aiming for mid 700whp when I run E85 but will mostly be running around 500whp with 93 octane daily. Only looking to track the car 3-4 times a year.

Looking forward to find out what clutch you guys are using.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #688
waste_of_space
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
waste_of_space is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
So I am now at the point where I need to decide on a clutch and want to know what you guys are running. I was thinking about going twin disc to play it safe but its going to kill me and my pocket to spend that kind of money on a clutch. Still aiming for mid 700whp when I run E85 but will mostly be running around 500whp with 93 octane daily. Only looking to track the car 3-4 times a year.

Need more info. What kind of transmission are you using? v160 I'm guessing?
waste_of_space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #689
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ka24 View Post
Ya it does. I have seen people delete the factory oil cooler/filter assembly and just run the filter straight to the block but since I'm just sticking with the stock twins for now I decided to keep the engine as factory as possible. And from this experience i would def recommend everyone who wants to do this swap to not use this mount kit. It blows!!!! When I pull the motor to go single i will be going with the xcessive kit for sure.
Its because of the oil filter housing. The JDM and US housings sit at different angles.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #690
DallasTXjdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
DallasTXjdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post

Hey whats up bro? I have a 2JZ-GTE with a V160 mated with a Triple Plate Carbonetic Clutch. We have not finished the build yet so I don't know how the rides feels. Had several recommendations from members from SupraForums and Titan Motorsports.

Here is more information:

Carbonetic Twin & Triple plate clutch

DallasTXjdm is offline   Reply With Quote