Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
White Comet is making a name for him/her selfWhite Comet is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
progress of my s13 shell

I don't often post on here, but i figured i'd take a few minutes to share my project that's been keeping me busy. to get a little background, here's what i had before that i'm putting down

it's a 1993 se. sr swapped with type x aero. a few other upgrades, nothing really impressive and basically it was too rough around the edges to keep. It has MASSIVE frame rust and it's not worth taking the time to fix it so i'm starting fresh.

Back in september I found a 1990 base model shell (no motor or trans but everything else intact) with 91k miles on it and no underbody rust.

it's a little bit of a fixer upper but basically clean. there was however minor rust on the body.

the seller was asking $800, but after inspecting it I decided it was worth maybe half of that. I offered the guy $300 and he wanted to wait a little since someone had offered $500. After a week of waiting the other person that had offered hadn't been heard from, I reminded him that I had cash in hand. The next day my dad and brother came with me and we left with it nice and secure on the trailer.

I got it home and immediately started working on it after unloading it. My brother removed the batter tray as i stripped what was left in the bay. after cleaning, scrubbing, sanding and prepping it was ready for paint.

I won't bore you with all the pics and details, but i started swapping the good parts form my type x replica as well as purchasing some other nice pieces. i picked up a z31 bmc and swapped over my new remanned q45 brakes and ss lines. I spent hours under the car scouring the underbody and coating it with truck bed liner. since it was to be daily driven i had to prepare for bad weather and protect against rust.

I originally planned on doing very basic work and having my sr swapped in in less then a month, but once you get in there its easy to keep going until everything is PERFECT. a firend convinced me to drop the gast tank and subframe. i cleaned the tank and truck bed lined that as well.

i picked up the energy suspension master bushing kit and replaced every bushing on the car. I also picked up the ES subframe pienapple bushings.

subframe dismantled and being cleaned

looking fresh to be put back together.

pineaple bushings

every suspension arm was removed, had the bushings pressed out and was wire wheeled before being painted semi gloss black and having the new bushings installed. I also took apart my vlsd and reshimmed it using the thickest shim you can get (1.49cm) in a nutshell, it'll make it look harder. i also cleaned everything up and installed my jdm vlsd diff cover with the vents!

i bolted everything up to teh subframe and torqued it all to spec

i got the subframe and gas tank reinstalled and covered the interior with fatmat

i got the rear carpet cleaned and installed with the kai project battery cage and the lower mount for the cusco tri brace bolted in

It's not finished yet, but i also started doing major work with the electrical system. with the help of a friend and fellow forum member we swapped the entire body harness in favor of an SE harness so all the power options could be added. before putting it in, we traced and removed every single wire that wasn't needed.

to really clean it up we did a tuck that removes any unneeded wires from the engine bay. only whats absolutely necessary is in the bay at all.

as you can see the bundle of wires is very thinned out, and with a little bending of that lip the wires will run up where i'm holding them, so i don't shread anything when i slam it.

type x cluster is also ready to go. i used maxima plugs and built the harness myself, repinning everything where it was needed

the front and rear also got new moog ball joints. at this point the rear end is finished and back on the ground...

and the front end is just waiting for me to put the flcas with new bushings and ball joints on as well as truck bed line the front wheel wells and install my kyb struts

wheel wells wanting attention

my plan was to do everything except for actually swapping the engine outside, but considering its 5 degrees outside, i plan on sanding the wheel wells (so i don't have a mess inside) then wheeling it into the garage for the rest of the project (reinstall interior, get front end on ground, swap engine and other little things).

I plan on putting the type x aero on but not until i get to the body work and get the car professionally painted. Until then i refuse to rock the pignose bumper so i'll be rattle canning this chuki bumper i got for free.

well technically it wasn't free, i wired up type x bumper lights in return for it.

That's basically it, theres a few mods i haven't bothered mentioning since i don;t want to make this too long or detailed. feel free to ask questions or give opinons, thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Hi Jeff! I'm glad you're taking the clean route to this one! Let me know if you need any help.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
deadstock40
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
deadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of lightdeadstock40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
hey, looks good man.

did you only fatmat the trunk ?
deadstock40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
kuruptR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
kuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfectionkuruptR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kuruptR
looking good. keep it up.
kuruptR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
holybushoffire
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
holybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to holybushoffire
Awesome!!

Looks fresh and squeeky clean!

I'm sure you've heard this before, but so you're ahead of the "type X" police. You may want to start referring to your bumper/aero as Kouki.

Aside from that, it looks awesome!!!

"some guys have a better relationship with their car than their wife haha. sad but true."

SECRET SOCIETY
holybushoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

White Comet is making a name for him/her selfWhite Comet is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
Hi Jeff! I'm glad you're taking the clean route to this one! Let me know if you need any help.
yeah i'm doing this one very meticulously. once the car is in teh garage it'll be nicer to work on. its fuckin 3 degrees right now

as for the fatmat, its only in the trunk but thats because i haven't been able to do more. especially with it being cold, it's hard to to work that stuff even with a heat gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybushoffire View Post
Awesome!!

Looks fresh and squeeky clean!

I'm sure you've heard this before, but so you're ahead of the "type X" police. You may want to start referring to your bumper/aero as Kouki.

Aside from that, it looks awesome!!!
thanks. thats actually the first time i've heard that though about calling the type x aero kouki. I mean i know it is from a kouki s13, but i didn't know "kouki" was prefferred. especially since not all kouki s13s had the aero, only the type x model
Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
thanks. thats actually the first time i've heard that though about calling the type x aero kouki. I mean i know it is from a kouki s13, but i didn't know "kouki" was prefferred. especially since not all kouki s13s had the aero, only the type x model
This is the worst misconception, and one of my pet peeves.

Aero was available on ALL models of 180sx, and standard on at least two.

Referring to kouki 180sx aero as simply being 'TYPE X' is akin to saying that automatic transmissions are ONLY on 240sx convertibles. This is obviously wrong, because you know better, but if you didn't know better and knew that AT was the only option for verts, it might be an assumed conclusion.

Either way, you know that ATs were available on all models of 240sx just liek I know that kouki 18s0x aero was available on all models of kouki 180sx.

mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I've seen your type x project on NICO.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
memo92
Zilvia Junkie

memo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfection
Type S

The Type S in the catalog picture is an automatic...look at the center console...the shift lever is for automatic transmission.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
"Type X" is the ultimate Nissan Fanboy BUZZWORD, I swear.

If you had a build thread with "Type X" and "Bayside Blue" in it, you would win Fanboy of the Year.

Show your intelligence, call it what it is, Kouki 180sx.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I've seen your type x project on NICO.
Stop pretending to be ignorant, Brian. I know you know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo92 View Post
The Type S in the catalog picture is an automatic...look at the center console...the shift lever is for automatic transmission.
Relevance? If you're citing my example, re-read it.

All models of kouki 180sx (X, R, S) were available in 5MT and 4AT.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Bumnah
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Bumnah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bumnah
I'll die before I refer to my car as "Kouki"
Bumnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
memo92
Zilvia Junkie

memo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfectionmemo92 is close to perfection
Quote:
Relevance? If you're citing my example, re-read it.

All models of kouki 180sx (X, R, S) were available in 5MT and 4AT.
I read it. I see that the three models are offered with the A/T and M/T options...thanks for the picture.

I also can see that the Type S has the SR20DE(~140hp)...N/A? Correct?

I just found it interesting that Nissan added the Type S in the catolog as an automatic...all three could have been M/T.

Thanks Mr.Meph.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumnah View Post
I'll die before I refer to my car as "Kouki"
Nobody ever asked you to. It's a matter of using proper terminology to describe things. Frankly, if you wanted to move away from the 'zenki/chuuki/kouki' set of descriptors and describe things by production dates or other specific terms, I'm completely fine with it.

Quote:
I read it. I see that the three models are offered with the A/T and M/T options...thanks for the picture.

I also can see that the Type S has the SR20DE(~140hp)...N/A? Correct?

I just found it interesting that Nissan added the Type S in the catolog as an automatic...all three could have been M/T.

Thanks Mr.Meph.
Yes, Type S is the nonturbo model. IIRC there was another SR20DE model called Type G, which was not standard-equipped with aero (like the Type R).
Old 01-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
memo92
Zilvia Junkie

Type G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles View Post

Yes, Type S is the nonturbo model. IIRC there was another SR20DE model called Type G, which was not standard-equipped with aero (like the Type R).
Would you happen to have a picture of the Type G?

I'm just curious, thanks.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Just curious on what kind of front bumper is on the red car in the first picture that mrmephistopheles posted up? It does not appear to look like the other two or maybe it is, hard to tell from a side shot like that.
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
holybushoffire
Zilvia Junkie

holybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant futureholybushoffire has a brilliant future
Quote:
haha told ya..

"some guys have a better relationship with their car than their wife haha. sad but true."

SECRET SOCIETY
Old 01-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #18
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Looks like a Type R front bumper.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
I know this is a bit off topic. But I have that Carrozzeria head unit and cd changer that is pictured in that bottom add. I have never seen or been able to find any info out about it. It works good but doesn't receive us radio stations. Is it worth much?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #20
sidewayz240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nicesidewayz240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
I know this is a bit off topic. But I have that Carrozzeria head unit and cd changer that is pictured in that bottom add. I have never seen or been able to find any info out about it. It works good but doesn't receive us radio stations. Is it worth much?

Japan uses different FM waves then most of the world but you can buy a radio frequency converter so you can use it. Example: C.A. Tronics - Car Radio Frequency Converter

There was a guy selling that Carrozzeria head unit on a local forum with a fm frequency converter for $90, as far as I know if still hasnt sold, so no, not worth much.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Thanks man!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Would you happen to have a picture of the Type G?

I'm just curious, thanks.
Looks the same as Type R. No aero, just stock kouki front bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisEpyon View Post
Just curious on what kind of front bumper is on the red car in the first picture that mrmephistopheles posted up? It does not appear to look like the other two or maybe it is, hard to tell from a side shot like that.
It's the same, stock kouki 180sx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks like a Type R front bumper.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybushoffire View Post
haha told ya..
yeah i see know, wow i had no idea it was such a hot topic. i'm aware that the other models (type s and type r) have the same bumper and tail lights and the R even has the wing, but i thought that the full aero (sideskirts, rear valences, etc) were only available on the type x though. it's no big deal either way, i can call it kouki if thats better. I don't think that calling it type x aero makes me anymore jdm.

thanks for the comments
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
holybushoffire
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
yeah i see know, wow i had no idea it was such a hot topic. i'm aware that the other models (type s and type r) have the same bumper and tail lights and the R even has the wing, but i thought that the full aero (sideskirts, rear valences, etc) were only available on the type x though. it's no big deal either way, i can call it kouki if thats better. I don't think that calling it type x aero makes me anymore jdm.

thanks for the comments
No problem dude.

I didn't mean for the last comment to come off as dickish. either way please keep updating your thread, I'm always interested in seeing some nice clean chassis'!

SECRET SOCIETY
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #25
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

it's all good, thread jacks don't bother me but thank you om1kron. and holybush, i didn't take it as dickish, i just had no idea anyone cared what it gets called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
If you had a build thread with "Type X" and "Bayside Blue" in it, you would win Fanboy of the Year.
orly? i haven't heard heard much about bayside blue from fanboys, but like i said i don't frequent this forum often. what about daytona blue? cuz thats what color the car will get painted, and good luck changing my mind

forgot to mention before i'm ragged on for the kyb's, there only temorary cuz i got em for $250. coilovers will be coming as well as some sexy pbm parts. the last part i got was nismo motor and trans mounts. In the near future before the car gets on the road will be pbm rucas, pbm radiator and possibly a pbm intercooler kit. I have to check out the current fmic and see if its leaking at all. the lower corner is crunched a little (from before i bought it).

just for reference heres how the engine looked when i first bought it

and heres a more current pic, but it's still over a year old

i'll keep updates of the progress coming. i shoudl have a little tim e on monday and hope to get it in the garage. i've been working on the car outside and with it being like 5 degrees it really sucks
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #26
articdragon192
Post Whore!

articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
How come no shroud?

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

^ good question. never one on the car when i bought it and now that i have an efan theres no need for stock shroud. i do with i had a shroud for the permacool fan
Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #28
Bigsyke
Zilvia FREAK!

Bigsyke is an unknown quantity at this point
Only issues I see with the initial chassis build are as follows;

When you stripped the chassis, you forgot some rubber grommets, the horns, some misc hoses and wiring, and seems the windsheild wiper mechinism. The grommets will be the 1st area this duplichipper bedliner will flake off.

Also, if your car see's sub 30*f weather, I wouldnt advise "just" spraying the bedlinner on the bottom of the car. Reason being the stuff pretty much sucks ass. You need an epoxy paint over etched clean primer. When the bedliner flakes/lifts up it forces the salt right between the chassis and paint, forcing intercourse with the metal. You will never know the rust is spreading like aids underneath.

Undercoating is a very touchy thing, really the only way to do it, is to completely strip the underbody of paint, etch it, epoxy paint, and a durrable top coat. Rubberized undercoating will stick to the paint, however lift all layers of paint "up" when it cracks from the heating/cooling cycles of mother nature. So just use epoxy paint.

On our cars the most rust happens where the factory undercoating is.
Bigsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #29
White Comet
Zilvia Junkie

hmm thats interesting to know. I'm skeptical myself about the bed liner but i tested it in a small area it seems durable. its not the spray on kind if that makes a difference. I've found that with multiple thick coats its seems pretty resistant to scratching. heres a short vid of me trying to scratch it with a grade 8 bolt

but time will tell, i plan on pulling it over the pit every week or so to check everything. thanks for the heads up on the proper way to undercoat, i will definetly do that on my fc.

no update until tomorrow, i have to work a double and do some laundry before work
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #30
Sti_Guy
BANNED

Sti_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
remove the clutch fan and put a big fan in its place. Your running a turbo, your just wasting power.
Sti_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote