Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #241
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
HouseElf, insane result, that's inspiring! What would you say are keys to high-HP 4-banger build? I would think, good sleeves (for SR), BIG turbo, and other supporting mods like good intake manifold and "big" cams?
very good hah you answered your own question. don't forget though, you need to build the drivetrain and the rest of the car to be able to hold that power and put it to the ground properly. to many people go crazy on an engine build and don't build the rest of the car properly...end result, a half ass built car.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #242
sr20detpl510
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
sr20detpl510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya, what are you doing transmission wise? (besides Clutch)
I am stroking my s14 Sr20DET to 2.3 also.
But I am doing it for reliability and not so much for HP. Looking to do around 350-400 maybe on a GT2871r... (fingers Crossed) I am building the bottom and top end to handle 500+ but am de-tuning it to be bullet proof...
I got a twin plate clutch but I am curious about what I can do for tranny options...
Don't want to spent multi-thousands for a trick tranny tho.... Any ideas? Comments?
sr20detpl510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #243
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20detpl510 View Post
Ya, what are you doing transmission wise? (besides Clutch)
I am stroking my s14 Sr20DET to 2.3 also.
But I am doing it for reliability and not so much for HP. Looking to do around 350-400 maybe on a GT2871r... (fingers Crossed) I am building the bottom and top end to handle 500+ but am de-tuning it to be bullet proof...
I got a twin plate clutch but I am curious about what I can do for tranny options...
Don't want to spent multi-thousands for a trick tranny tho.... Any ideas? Comments?
just do a z32 trans setup...they are cheap to replace in the rare chance that you blow one or you can always do z33 trans setup. plenty of options if you really don't want to keep the sr trans.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #244
sr20detpl510
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
just do a z32 trans setup...they are cheap to replace in the rare chance that you blow one or you can always do z33 trans setup. plenty of options if you really don't want to keep the sr trans.
I need to be able to use an S14 clutch. I already have a Blitz Twin Plate and I am not buying another clutch.... whew!

What is the benefit of going with a Z32/Z33 tranny? Gearing and strength?
I am putting this into a Datsun 510. Is there any difference to the length or girth? I do not want to widen my tunnel or make my shifter hole bigger.
With an adapter plate, can you still use the S14 Clutch?

OP, you had a Z32 tranny right? How was it on the street/highway/strip?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #245
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
Someone google that for him.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #246
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I need to be able to use an S14 clutch. I already have a Blitz Twin Plate and I am not buying another clutch.... whew!

What is the benefit of going with a Z32/Z33 tranny? Gearing and strength?
I am putting this into a Datsun 510. Is there any difference to the length or girth? I do not want to widen my tunnel or make my shifter hole bigger.
With an adapter plate, can you still use the S14 Clutch?

OP, you had a Z32 tranny right? How was it on the street/highway/strip?
I agree with yellow4g63, you can easily search and find your answers. but since I am slightly bored and I know you probably wont search for it...yes, you can use an sr clutch. the reason I said to upgrade to a Z trans, is because it is an upgrade...no reason to tell you to go to a Z trans if it wont change anything, right? there are plenty of threads about the Z33 vs Z32 vs SR transmission and it shows how the gears from the Z transmissions are much stronger then an SR trans. there is no need to widen the tunnel at all, no one widens there tunnels when they do a vg, vq, rb, ect. swaps...so no, you will be fine. as for how it drives...its a stock trans, how bad do you expect it to be? the gearing isn't much different from an SR. Simple research can go along way and give you plenty of information to read up on to make the proper choice.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #247
sr20detpl510
Leaky Injector

Ya, that was a noob maneuver.... Thanks for checking me...
I'm out... Carry on.....
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #248
Vetal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Vetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking about Z32 trannies, adapters for SR (or CA) bellhousing pattern are pretty expensive, right?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #249
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Talking about Z32 trannies, adapters for SR (or CA) bellhousing pattern are pretty expensive, right?
depends what you consider expensive. Mazworx and Xcessive both make a kit for it...im sure there are more, but those are the only two I can think of right now.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #250
Vetal
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
depends what you consider expensive. Mazworx and Xcessive both make a kit for it...im sure there are more, but those are the only two I can think of right now.
IIRC, it was around $1000, give or take
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #251
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
IIRC, it was around $1000, give or take
well look at it this way, in most cases, you get what you pay for. you spend more for a setup that will be able to take alot more abuse or stick with a stock sr trans and possibly keep having to change them out. I have a Z33 transmission setup on my SR...but im going to be up around the mid 800hp area
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #252
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

HouseElf is an unknown quantity at this point
It seems like you all helped answer eachothers questions, so I'll just add this... Never would i ever recommend to someone to buy the Z32 trans, by far worst invesment I've made into this car. It grinds, it doesnt allow me to shift rappidly at higher RPM and just an over all pain in the ass. If i could do it all again id make the investment in a T56 Magnum and make an adapter plate or even CNC a bellhousing.

Little update since this i stopped updating this thread, still for sale but I am currently doing a few things to the car to get it to where I'd like it to be before it goes. As well as do my best to get it... printed. I figured I've come this far, might as well finish it right, right? haha.

There will be real updates when i see fit

Also, thanks for the kind words all.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #253
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Hit up Nigel from engineered to slide

Ask Him about sr to rb25 gearbox adaptor

Have bombproof tranny

Profit
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #254
Briou
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Briou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey man I know it has been a while but someone asked what throttle cable you ran but I never came across the answer....It looks to be a lokar, but what is the part number??? Thanks man...Great build!!
Briou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #255
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briou View Post
Hey man I know it has been a while but someone asked what throttle cable you ran but I never came across the answer....It looks to be a lokar, but what is the part number??? Thanks man...Great build!!
Yes it is a lokar, not sure the part number, just the one size fits all option. Same ones that where used on evo and supra builds at the shop. Hope that helps
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #256
Vetal
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseElf View Post
It seems like you all helped answer eachothers questions, so I'll just add this... Never would i ever recommend to someone to buy the Z32 trans, by far worst invesment I've made into this car. It grinds, it doesnt allow me to shift rappidly at higher RPM and just an over all pain in the ass. If i could do it all again id make the investment in a T56 Magnum and make an adapter plate or even CNC a bellhousing.
That's the first time I see someone complaining about Z32 tranny. If it grinds, it is plain worn, isn't it?
I thought about T56 too (I sold it, was on my other car), but it is huge in diameter compared to ours. I don't know what would you have to do to fit it.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #257
sr20detpl510
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseElf View Post

Little update since this i stopped updating this thread, still for sale but I am currently doing a few things to the car to get it to where I'd like it to be before it goes. As well as do my best to get it... printed. I figured I've come this far, might as well finish it right, right? haha.

There will be real updates when i see fit

Also, thanks for the kind words all.
This is why I asked about the Z32 tranny without research. It was a question of how the OP liked it. Nothing to do with not doing my own research

So HouseElf, Was the tranny worn or just not very street friendly hooked up to an SR. I know this is an OEM tranny but it is from a different car...
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #258
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
This is why I asked about the Z32 tranny without research. It was a question of how the OP liked it. Nothing to do with not doing my own research

So HouseElf, Was the tranny worn or just not very street friendly hooked up to an SR. I know this is an OEM tranny but it is from a different car...
the OP is also putting a TON of power through an oem z32 tranny, thats going to make him go through a trans pretty quick compared to what most people put on a z32 trans.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #259
HouseElf
Zilvia Member

My biggest problem with the trans is not the grinding when shifting, its the fact that it resists the shift. What i mean by that is I can in no way stay in boost when shifting at the higher rpms, its just too slow because of the resistance. And that is on wastegate (600whp). Other than the trans holding the power I've put through it, its only given me a headache...
Old 03-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #260
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^^...isn't that why people run the z33 instead?
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #261
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
sweet build bro...
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #262
slow92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
slow92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Houself...I am curious as well. Is the trans bad or is it from making too much power. I have read that the z32 trannys are known to have syncro issues and that is why everyone is always trying to get a jdm z32 trans because the syncros were better. Please respond because I just picked up a mazworx z32 trans adapter kit and I am planning on making 700ish whp on my sr.

Hey btw what size an lines are you using for your fuel supply? I am going to be running e85 as well and there are mixed thoughts as to what size to use, at least this is what I have seen over on the evo forums.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #263
98kouki-sr20

98kouki-sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey I was just wondering what your thoughts were on a 500 hp sr... sleeve the block or not?... trying to figure it out... I was only planning on making 450 range but I've seen a couple setups similar to mine over 500hp so now I'm thinking I should probably sleeve the block.. I was just wondering what your opinion was?
98kouki-sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #264
ShadowMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ShadowMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
WTF. i know everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. But to sell it after all this? You're effin bonkers dude. Thanks for the good read and giving me a reason to stick with the sr for a few more go arounds. Nicely done, hate to see you stop here tho.