Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
S13/S14 Wiper Linkage Interchangeability

Hey guys. So tonight I was working on my car and everything went extremely smooth and as it should. I pushed my luck and stumbled upon something that is seeming like it will be a PIA to fix.

I noticed not too long ago my passenger side wiper wasn't making contact in the center of the blade. At first I thought it was the arm, but then found out that the base where the arm attaches was fubar. You could helicopter dick this thing it's so bad. So tonight I decided to pull it off and see what was needed to fix it. Well, I got the cowl off and found that all of the m6 nuts securing them to the car are rusted to the point where they aren't removable by socket. I was able to clamp onto them with some vice grips but all of them just spin in the base and don't actually come out.

So my question is this: I have an s14 parts car. I have the wiper linkage off said parts car. The rod lengths look different, but are the bases the same? I measured the distances between bolts and it seems the same. I just want to verify before I go cut it off with a grinder and find out they won't work, leaving me with no wipers during the rainy season until I find another. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pic to show what I'm talking about:

Old 02-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You might be able to make it work, but they do have different part numbers so I don't think they're the same.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
zo0d
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
zo0d is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just went through this with my s14. Ended up getting a wiper linkage from ebay. All 6 of the nuts were spinning witt the bolt as well. Ended up using a rotary cutting tool to split the nuts in half.
zo0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Ok guys, I took the chance and cut the bolts today. The car isn't my daily so if I was left without wipers for a while, no biggie.

I can confirm that the bases DO match up. In fact, the first section of linkage, from the motor to the first base, is exactly the same on the s14 except it's a beefier tube. The second section is surprisingly shorter on the s14. So I just switched that out with the s13 piece and put it back together. It works perfect now!

Sorry for the terrible pics, It looked clear when I took it.