Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Air, Cordless tools

Hey guys! I finally bought me an air compressor which gonna make my car repair easier. What type of impact wrench do you recommend on a budget for just general auto repair?, and I am trying to get a cordless impact wrench. What size do you all recommend 1/2" or 3/8"?

'Born Ready!',LJ
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Tonis56
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Tonis56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
3/8 and 1/2 have their own advantages over each other. You will more than likely use the 1/2 more though.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah you really need both since one would be smaller and fit in areas that the 1/2 wouldn't..and the 1/2 would put out more torque then the 3/8th..I'd just get the 1/2 first and a 3/8 adapter until you can also get a 3/8 too.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What size compressor did you get?

You don't want a 3/8" impact wrench.
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
theboy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
theboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Depending on your air compressor size. Go buy yourself a 1/2" impact from sears. The craftsman stuff isnt bad for entry level and home use but if you plan on making a career out of it then get ready to spend money. Cordless impacts are convenient but cant do what a pneumatic impact will do.
theboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
The high-end Milwaukee/Snap-On type impacts can do 10/10th of what a pneumatic gun can do.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
If you want to get you by in the mean time, go to Harbor Freight and look online for them coupons. Their air tools are cheap but they get the job done. I still use some of their stuff like the angle die grinder and 1/4 air ratchet. When you can afford better air tools then buy as needed but for $100 at HF you can deff get started.

Don't waste your money on Craftsman air tools, I have used them and they are not worth the $ (I would rather use HF stuff and save myself the $). When I started off I got a 1/2 gun and used a 3/8 adapter for smaller items till I was able to afford a separate 3/8 gun. $200 goes a very long way at Harbor Freight with the sales and coupons they have.

As for electric/cordless, I've used Snap On, MAC, Makita and a few others... They all work and are convenient when you don't have to deal with plugging in the air compressor and waiting for it to fill up, but cordless tools will never give you the tq that pneumatic tools have. Stuff is getting real close tho, I used a Ingersol Rand Impact gun last week and that was very impressive. If you can afford it, go for it, but most electric tools are not cheap.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
Don't waste your money on Craftsman air tools, I have used them and they are not worth the $ (I would rather use HF stuff and save myself the $).
I'm not terribly impressed with my Craftsman stuff either.

OP, keep in mind these tools use a LOT of air which is why i asked what size compressor you picked up.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks Guys
This is what I get
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-67847.html

I agree with Harbor freight. I've spent a couple hundreds within this past month. Does brand matter for the job done? I don't really like craftsman air tools either after Ive read reviews about them.

As far as grinder goes, Whats the different between getting a electrical 120 v grinder vs air grinder?

Im gonna install my own lift kit for my truck this weekend. So I'm prepared to have to deal with the rust issues. I've soaked most of the bolts with liquid wrench for the past week. Any tips for those who have installed the lift kit before? It will be for a chevy RC full suspension lift kit.

Will this be sufficient?
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...nch-68424.html

'Born Ready!',LJ
Old 09-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
^^^ Depends on the job. I have both and I use both according to what its needed for. As for grinders, air tools are generally smaller and lighter so they are easier to get into tight places vs an electric one is usually heavier, bulkier and not very easy to maneuver. If your compressor is small or and your going to be doing a long project I say use the electric if you have the space so you don't deal with the compressor constantly turning on. Also a nice electric grinder usually is very pricey compared to a air tool.

That's a good sized compressor for home. I have a craftsman one in my garage that is similar in size and power and I never really had any issues with it besides the noise of the motor is just very loud which annoys a few of the females inside the house.

That 1/2 inch Earthquake gun is strong, its also heavy and kind clumsy but hey it works. It is also a AIR hog, thing uses up alot of air to use so get used to having the compressor kick on alot. Make sure you oil it each time you use it (HF sells the oil for air tools). I used a few of them and they are not bad for home stuff. I still have one in my other tool box somewhere. If you are getting into the automotive industry or any job that requires you to use tools to earn your living then I would suggest brand name tools. Unless you got the funds to bank roll for all the nice brand name tools so you can flex your nuts when your friends come over, just stick with what works that is in your budget.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
rg3777

rg3777 is an unknown quantity at this point
1/2 in snap on, ingersoll rand, or air cat air impact. 3/8 cordless 14v snap on impact is my most used and favorite tool.
rg3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg3777 View Post
1/2 in snap on, ingersoll rand, or air cat air impact. 3/8 cordless 14v snap on impact is my most used and favorite tool.
Snap on sounds awesome, but they are just to expensive!

'Born Ready!',LJ
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Dillinja666
Leaky Injector

Dillinja666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Snap-on guns are just re branded Ingersoll Rand guns. Cut out the middle man and get an Ingersoll. I used mine for 12 years before I switched to electric. I still keep it for stubborn bolts but the electric ones cover 90% of what I need to do.

I also use a 3/8th gun for most of my work. The 1/2 inch gun is only used to take off wheels and large suspension bolts. I run all electric stuff though so I have 3/8th and 1/2 electric which makes it easier to work with since you are not dragging the hose everywhere.

Ingersoll gun at random website:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...nVhRoCysrw_wcB

this is what I run now, but I spin wrenches professionally.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Dillinja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
WIKID S4TEEN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
WIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her selfWIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Listen up, don't waste your money on "entry level" gun.
Buy an IR gun. If you can't afford new, buy used on CL.
On the size, personally, I wouldn't waste my time with 3/8" drive.
If I can take it out by hand, I rather would.
Only use air for big jobs and wheels. Unless for work or you're in a hurry, lol.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
rg3777

rg3777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Craigslist and pawn shops are a good way to find good used tools like ingersoll rand and snap on.
rg3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
x2 on pawn shops.

Makita electronic impacts are also nice for quick jobs like removing wheels and doing brake jobs, but some jobs (flywheel bolts come to mind) will require a pneumatic gun.