Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
RedSled
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
S13 coupe quarter glass

In the process of removing the quarter glass from the s13 coupe ,can anyone give me a detailed procedure how to remove it ,have searched online and there is only removal procedures for the hatch model only ,already attempted but damaged the rubber moulding in one side ,any help is greatly appreciated but prefer the information come from a hands on experience rather than assumptions or what you think how it's been done
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
you are going to damage the rubber molding, it is one piece with the glass.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
you are going to damage the rubber molding, it is one piece with the glass.
Though it is likely as you said, I have definitely seen glass removal professionals remove S13 quarter glass while preserving the moldings enough to be reused. Perhaps calling in a pro would be the way to go on this one?

I believe 240SX quarter glass is discontinued (and was very pricey when it was available) and the molding isn't sold separately, so that's really the only option at this point.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
use these tools to take out the quarter glass

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-8790.../dp/B0002SRDR8
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-8742...Z49TNQZEE2A6ES

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
RedSled
Leaky Injector

RedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-knownRedSled is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Though it is likely as you said, I have definitely seen glass removal professionals remove S13 quarter glass while preserving the moldings enough to be reused. Perhaps calling in a pro would be the way to go on this one?

I believe 240SX quarter glass is discontinued (and was very pricey when it was available) and the molding isn't sold separately, so that's really the only option at this point.
Trust me the so called professionals isn't as professional with regards to these quarter glass removal ,had a friend that hired a professional an he damaged both mouldings on each glass an said that it's impossible to remove without damaging it ,which to me didn't make sense as there are a lot of ppl that removed theirs perfectly, e.g. Silbeer to name one
When I removed one of mine I did it way better than him that's why I'm asking for any tips and advice for better removal
Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
Trust me the so called professionals isn't as professional with regards to these quarter glass removal ,had a friend that hired a professional an he damaged both mouldings on each glass an said that it's impossible to remove without damaging it ,which to me didn't make sense as there are a lot of ppl that removed theirs perfectly, e.g. Silbeer to name one
When I removed one of mine I did it way better than him that's why I'm asking for any tips and advice for better removal
Got it. One thing to keep in mind with Silbeer is he probably did that a decade ago. The moldings were a lot more fresh back then. Just a thought.

I did check to see if you can still buy Silvia quarter glass in Japan but it's discontinued. Really sucks there isn't an option for replacement. Would be awesome to see companies start reproducing this stuff.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
RedSled
Leaky Injector

Yh really sucks ,I've gotten all the mouldings so far except for the quarter glass
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #8
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I literally did this a month ago. Between using a heat gun, piano string method.. the only one that worked for me was actually using a propane torch and heating up a butter knife and melting the molding away from the inside. Doing this will damage the molding that wraps around the glass from inside, but is bonded from the front as well. I even leveled the molding even with the glass and just made sure to apply extra window weld when the glass was reapplied. Mind you this smoked alot and might damage your headliner if you still have interior in the car.
1slowS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
RedSled
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowS13 View Post
I literally did this a month ago. Between using a heat gun, piano string method.. the only one that worked for me was actually using a propane torch and heating up a butter knife and melting the molding away from the inside. Doing this will damage the molding that wraps around the glass from inside, but is bonded from the front as well. I even leveled the molding even with the glass and just made sure to apply extra window weld when the glass was reapplied. Mind you this smoked alot and might damage your headliner if you still have interior in the car.

Did the outer moulding remained untouched and perfect condition?
I'm was thinking of doing the same thing too
Old 11-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #10
1slowS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice1slowS13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSled View Post
Did the outer moulding remained untouched and perfect condition?
I'm was thinking of doing the same thing too
The molding is pretty wide from the outside so you have big margin of error. Just remember theres a clip that slides into the upper trim, just dont force that off and youll be fine. Took me under 2 hours to take both off while taking my time.
1slowS13 is offline   Reply With Quote