Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #1531
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman1278 View Post
So I would assume because of the higher heat with using dual shielded, that it would not be good to use on sheet metal for cars?
LOL penetration is virtually a non-issue with sheet metal...

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #1532
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
LOL..."sheet metal" is a relative term. My laser cutter calls 1/4" sheet metal.

For like body sheet metal I have heard real good things about silicon bronze wire for bodywork since it is soft and easier to grind, and it has great anti-corrosion charactoristics.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #1533
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
It is not a matter of the machine being inferior to itself, it is a matter of using the right filler for the job.
I only use dual sheild on very heavy/ super high strength applications.
Atutt is right in the fact that the welds are super high penatration, and look awesome after you clean off the slag...but since they are so high heat and penatration it has a tendency to cause a lot of heat distortion, so dual sheild is not for all applacations in my opinion.
Correct. I used it a lot in the construction indusrty. I've used for cranes and heavy equipment machinery... Like this gian ass (like 20ft) plow blade. It was almost 4'' thick in some spots.

Quote:
LOL..."sheet metal" is a relative term. My laser cutter calls 1/4" sheet metal.

For like body sheet metal I have heard real good things about silicon bronze wire for bodywork since it is soft and easier to grind, and it has great anti-corrosion charactoristics.
Up here anything over 3/16'' is technically "plate".

I only mentioned the dual shield flux core to open up some closed minds about flux core.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #1534
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
I only mentioned the dual shield flux core to open up some closed minds about flux core.
Sweet...Welding is like driving from California to New York...there are a thousand different ways to do it...it is just finding a way that you like to go.

Here is a little somthing I did today...

I have been working on re-designing my fender braces...I like these.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #1535
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to duffman1278
Quote:
I'm not talking so much about the penetration but more about burning a hole through it because of the higher heat.

I found out yesterday though that I have a 220V plug in my house that I can get access to in my backyard lol So I might look into a TIG welder eventually because I don't think you can MIG weld or flux core with thin aluminum pieces such as intercooler piping.

duffman1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #1536
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:

I found out yesterday though that I have a 220V plug in my house that I can get access to in my backyard lol So I might look into a TIG welder eventually because I don't think you can MIG weld or flux core with thin aluminum pieces such as intercooler piping.

Correct...about the thinest aluminum MIG welding I have had luck with is 1/16"...not saying it is not possable, just high skill factor.
Now on to the TIG...Look at machines that are AC/DC and have HF start. You will be looking at machines $1500.00 and up.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #1537
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
this is nothing even close to what you guys are making, but it's a start.

I made a skid plate yesterday. Sheet aluminum .080" 2'x3' cost $9 at the local steel supply.

It's nothing fancy, but it does the job and only cost about $14 to make.

khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #1538
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by khilgers View Post
this is nothing even close to what you guys are making, but it's a start.

I made a skid plate yesterday. Sheet aluminum .080" 2'x3' cost $9 at the local steel supply.

It's nothing fancy, but it does the job and only cost about $14 to make.
That looks awesome for $15! I've never been a huge fan of skid plates (just makes the bottom even lower, meaning you'll scrape even more), but .080" seems like it'll be sturdy enough to take a beating, and what's a 10th of an inch in overall clearance?

I like!

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #1539
khilgers
Zilvia Addict

khilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond reputekhilgers has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks dude. The bend was a little tricky seeing is I don't have the proper equipment. Being a carpenter I made a jig that attached to my workbench, took the heatgun, and away I went. Good way to kill an afternoon when we finally reached 60 degrees here in MN.
khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #1540
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
yabeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey guys I put my S14 SR in my S13 using a dohc tb cable.
I have tried bending the stock bracket slightly since no matter how much I adjust it, after pressing the gas pedal it wont go all the way back down and stays revving a bit.

Does anyone have any pics of a custom made tb cable bracket before I make a crazy looking one that is overkill? Searching was too broad... thanks!
The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Jeremy Clarkson on Automatics
yabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #1541
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabeet View Post
Hey guys I put my S14 SR in my S13 using a dohc tb cable.
I have tried bending the stock bracket slightly since no matter how much I adjust it, after pressing the gas pedal it wont go all the way back down and stays revving a bit.

Does anyone have any pics of a custom made tb cable bracket before I make a crazy looking one that is overkill? Searching was too broad... thanks!
No custom bracket needed, just adjust the cable free-play, using the two nuts (one on either side of the bracket).

Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #1542
Rapier46
Zilvia Member

Rapier46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rapier46
Quote:
Sweet...Welding is like driving from California to New York...there are a thousand different ways to do it...it is just finding a way that you like to go.

Here is a little somthing I did today...

I have been working on re-designing my fender braces...I like these.

Do these do alot? I am seeing them more and more. Why exaclty to people have them? A substitute to stitch welding? I guess any extra strength helps, but i dont see a mjaor benefit of fender braces.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #1543
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapier46 View Post
Do these do alot? I am seeing them more and more. Why exaclty to people have them? A substitute to stitch welding? I guess any extra strength helps, but i dont see a mjaor benefit of fender braces.
Much stiffer than stitch welding. Only problem is, by stiffening the front even more, you induce even more understeer (my car already understeers, even with just stock sways). That's the only reason I haven't done it yet.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #1544
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
ls1 y pipe and exhaust for my 240

now it is all tigged and tucked in. feels good to be gangsta.

now its sway bar mod/fab time!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #1545
yabeet
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
yabeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
No custom bracket needed, just adjust the cable free-play, using the two nuts (one on either side of the bracket).
I have the nuts all the way back on the tb cable, it is almost there. If I push down on the tb bracket it will idle normally but once I put my foot on the gas and let off; the dowel [the one to prevent the tb plate going the other way] is 1-2mm from touching the stopper.
Doesnt seem like a common problem so I will just fab one up I guess.
The thing is, it’s a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the lever… ‘Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta– I’m a gearbox! Oh, heavens, I’m gonna swap some cogs around!’

Jeremy Clarkson on Automatics
yabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #1546
duffman1278
Post Whore!

duffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really niceduffman1278 is just really nice
Got to TIG weld some 4130 Chromoly tubes for a chasis at school, thats for a project. It was kinda scary at first but I got the hang of it. I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow and post up pics here.

I just really struggled with really tight spaces of the tubing.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #1547
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Took the plunge and started cutting.

Got the templates made.

Gonna cut up some sheet tomorrow.

Jeff i don't know how the hell you did it with the motor in.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #1548
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabeet View Post
I have the nuts all the way back on the tb cable, it is almost there. If I push down on the tb bracket it will idle normally but once I put my foot on the gas and let off; the dowel [the one to prevent the tb plate going the other way] is 1-2mm from touching the stopper.
Doesnt seem like a common problem so I will just fab one up I guess.
Doesn't sound like you bent the bracket as far forward as I bent mine lol.

Quote:
Got to TIG weld some 4130 Chromoly tubes for a chasis at school, thats for a project. It was kinda scary at first but I got the hang of it. I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow and post up pics here.

I just really struggled with really tight spaces of the tubing.
Yeah man, post some pics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
Took the plunge and started cutting.
Jeff i don't know how the hell you did it with the motor in.
Haha, I didn't cut that far back on the driver's side, and I did a lot of cutting from the "wheel well" side, not the engine side (fender off). Cutting is the easy part lol, but your templates look really good!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #1549
discosteak
Leaky Injector

discosteak is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont really have an pics of stuff i fabbed but heres some welding i did. im an unemployed aerospace welder
discosteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #1550
duffman1278
Post Whore!

I'm not gonna lie but those welds look, STUPIDLY AMAZING!!!

That is some clean welding for sure!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #1551
onepuff
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
onepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruinonepuff is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Haha, I didn't cut that far back on the driver's side, and I did a lot of cutting from the "wheel well" side, not the engine side (fender off). Cutting is the easy part lol, but your templates look really good!
Thanks. I had to cut that shit out on the driver's side. It was all rusted out pretty bad. Had to go down past the frame rail. I was pretty amazed at how well the HF spot weld drill bit worked too.
onepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #1552
discosteak
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I'm not gonna lie but those welds look, STUPIDLY AMAZING!!!

That is some clean welding for sure!
haha thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #1553
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
orbital????
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:39 AM   #1554
discosteak
Leaky Injector

no it was done by hand. IMO orbital still looks better/tighter. and i dont think ive ever seen an orbital this small lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 AM   #1555
discosteak
Leaky Injector

some other stuff ive done
SR20 Corolla

made a custom trans tunnel, cage and handbrake

My car

Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #1556
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by discosteak View Post
no it was done by hand. IMO orbital still looks better/tighter. and i dont think ive ever seen an orbital this small lol. http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...2301e74a60.jpg
wow thats bad ass good job man.

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #1557
discosteak
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rican_nick View Post
wow thats bad ass good job man.
thank you
msg length
Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #1558
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
... I was pretty amazed at how well the HF spot weld drill bit worked too.
Hell yeah! I'm on my 2nd one (they wear out), but it rocks! Esp with a corded, high speed drill, and not my cheap battery one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discosteak View Post
haha thanks
Dude, those welds are ridiculous for being done by hand... assuming the tubing is clamped down, how much do you do at a time? 180*? I can't see any start/stop pools... shit's rad.

Oh, and the crossbar on your cage (roof to floor) looks like it's offset from the main hoop? Whats that?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #1559
discosteak
Leaky Injector

Quote:

Dude, those welds are ridiculous for being done by hand... assuming the tubing is clamped down, how much do you do at a time? 180*? I can't see any start/stop pools... shit's rad.

Oh, and the crossbar on your cage (roof to floor) looks like it's offset from the main hoop? Whats that?
tube was put in a vice i started at the bottom and worked my way all the way around , no stops. (after the initial tack weld)

harness bar is offset not the diagonal, I'm 6'1 260lbs just moved it back for a little extra room

heres a pic you can see the tubes arent actually straight

and you can see the only stop on the lower weld in this pic right side
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #1560
duffman1278
Post Whore!

Here's some of the welding I got done today from school.

We got the chasis already made from another team, but they're kart was for all motor. Ours is going to be electric/fuel so we have to alter the chasis for our setup.

The pics shows the battery trays we made and welded up. We'll be welding up the supports for the motor tomorrow hopefully.

I know the welds don't look that nice, but hey I havn't been welding for years lol I'm still noobish And yes there is some oxidation on the welds, I asked one of the welding instructors why that occurs, he said it's probably due to the moisture in the air. I'm running argon, enough.