Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
lowered_impressions

Trader Rating: (0)
lowered_impressions is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need LSD for my s15 open diff

trying lots of searches but...
I have an s15 with an open diff. its unbearable with my stiff coilovers. need LSD of any kind. My s15 has abs. What other diff can i put in there that will fit my pumpkin? or will bolt in and retain my ABS? Help please
lowered_impressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
It's unbearable because of your coilovers? I'm not sure I understand that one. Your best option is to source an S15 Helical unit and make a direct swap.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
lowered_impressions

Hard to source that kind of thing where I live. Any ideas where or who has one?
Yes because of my coilovers being stiff, any time I go in and out of a driveway or on uneven ground like gravel the car unweights a rear wheel or 3 wheels and the 1 wheel just spins like crazy
Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
More momentum into and out of driveways would help. An S15 helical will not help you in those situations as both wheels require traction for it to work as intended. You need a VLSD or a 1/1.5/2way diff.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 AM   #5
lowered_impressions

bump.
will my output shafts work with an s15 helical?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
tgd89
Leaky Injector

tgd89 is on a distinguished road
I would think not, as I'd think that'd make the output shafts cheaper to buy if you could use s15 open shafts... But I don't actually know. A trick If you're stuck three wheeling with an HLSD is that you can pull the handbrake in order to direct torque to the planted wheel.
tgd89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
lowered_impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd89 View Post
I would think not, as I'd think that'd make the output shafts cheaper to buy if you could use s15 open shafts... But I don't actually know. A trick If you're stuck three wheeling with an HLSD is that you can pull the handbrake in order to direct torque to the planted wheel.
Awesome thanks !
Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

No, your outputs will not work. You need S15 components for the heiical.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgd89 View Post
Good tip.

OP, a helical will not help your specific problem, but tgd89 just gave you a solution that should fix your problem with no parts. This trick should work with an open diff as well.

If you want a gentle helical maybe you should look at softer coilovers that are more conducive to traction FIRST. Or maybe you want a brutal 2way or spool or something, to match your coils - but a helical is not the right solution to your current problem.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote