Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #61
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
MyblackS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thanks for the positive feedback Tricky.
Another fun project from earlier this year on the car was the catch can install. LS engines are notorious for blow by and a catch can is definitely a good idea to help keep the intake tract clean. I went with the Radium Engineering single catch can after seeing it at PRI. The attention to detal on it made it an easy choice, its anodized billet aluminum with a bottom drain, a dipstick to check the level and it threads apart for cleaning.

When I received the can they didn't have a LS specific bracket and I had the pleasure of working with them to design and prototype one.

I'm going to need to get some pics up with the bracket anodized and the can plumbed in soon. Mine is an early prototype so it looks a little different from what the ended up with, but the version they sell keeps the same position for the can and the same basic design, just minus the logo.

Also, I've made a decision on my new tire size 285/30R18 square, and I received a couple packages this week.

I chose the Federal 595RS-R because they run wide (once they clear, the rest, Yokohama, Dunlop, Ect should clear too) seem to have good reviews, and they're cheap. I also picked up some 5-lug hubs.

I went with Contano/Tomegun fronts and used 300zx N/A rear, I was strongly considering Ichiba or new S14 OEM for the rear, but the 300zx hub just looks beefier than the others that I had seen.

They all appear to be thinned in between the wheel studs, like the Ichiba's in the picture, while it's probably ok, I just think you would want all the beef you can get on them.

My next steps are:
Picking out a wheel, I'm going to run something between 18x10 and 18x11, making it fit in the front while maintaining reasonable steering angle, and working out the rest of the details on the body work to fit the extra width in the front and keep the rear proportional.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #62
Beas
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Beas is making a name for him/her selfBeas is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
285 up front as well? no angle kit?
Beas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #63
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Beas, 285 all around, no angle kit planned, may have to extend LCA's though, hope to avoid tubs if I can. I'm not worried about huge angle since I don't drift, but I don't really want to lose much if any either.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #64
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Here's a long update. Since the last post, I've been working on determining the proper offset for the front wheels, preparing for fender flares, and picked out some wheels. For the front wheel offset, I designed a wheel back space tool based on the aluminum ones that the pro-touring guys use. I designed mine in solidworks to be laser cut and fabricated to make it inexpensive and easy to build.

I made 10.5" and 11" "rim" sections with an inner lip to push the bead of the tire out to get a more accurate measurement. The 11" actually pushes the width of the tire carcass from around 11-5/8" to just barely under 12". I have the tire on the tool, mounted on the car with my camber set to about 2.5 degrees.

This is the first position I tried, spring removed, with minimal strut tube clearance, they actually seem to fit best. I still need to disconnect my sway bar to check tub clearance under compression, but I really like this position because the tire doesn't hit the bumper or the back of the wheel well. It also seems to get nearly as much steering angle as my current little 225's which impressed me.

I also tried it here, which gave enough strut clearance to instal the spring, but it seemed to lose clearance everywhere else when I turned the wheels. It hit the pinch weld in the back of the wheel well and a little bit of the bumper, I can trim either of those, but I'm also kind of wondering if that much extra scrub radius will be a bad thing. I'm thinking that I will try to get as close to the first position as possible, unless anyone fills me in that that much change in scrub radius is good for handling and driving feel. To maintain the position I want I plan to make extended strut ears, with between 1/2" to 1" of extension. The Cusco's are more difficult to use for clearance because they use a 3" ID spring, since they're inverted shocks, instead of a 2.5" which is standard for coilovers.

I have pieces laser cut for these too, I just need to pick up some DOM tube, weld it together and thread the inside. The 1" extension is shown in the model, I also had 1/2"+ ears made, I'm wishing I just would have done the full range and did 3/4"+ while I was at it for another option. I may make those later if I find that working best, or slot the holes on the 1"+ ears and make some offset washers.

I had some help from a good friend with a photoshop rendering of about what I'm going for with the finished project.

I started off with some JP Fiberglass Rocket Bunny style flares, but wasn't feeling all the body work for something that I might not want to keep on the car that long, its been a popular trend for a while and I'm not sure how much longer it's going to stay in favor. Plus I was hoping for the best on the knockoffs, but they were really mediocre at best, the fiberglass was thin and flexible, which is a positive on my book, but there were imperfections around the screw dimples and they aren't gel coated like I've seen on my other fiberglass parts. After seeing Masahiro's S13 I just couldn't get over the cleanliness of metal flares.

I'm not into the stance scene for my own car since I want grip and some drive ability, but I love the undeniably clean look and its the inspiration for the new direction on my body work.

Since picking a direction, I've also been getting started on the preparations to make bucks for the flares. So far I've started with these holders.

I made them to hold the fender in the same position it sits on the car from MDF, this way it should make it a little easier to make the buck and keep the wheel opening from looking off, at least that's my thinking since I haven't made a sheet metal buck before. I also attempted to 3d scan them with photogramy (Visual SFM and Agisoft Photoscan) software.

It was really cool to see the whole room in 3d and it was pretty amazing what it could do, all things considered, but it has major limitations with smooth objects, the 3d model looked like it was made by a caveman with a hammer on a rock, so it wouldn't work for building off from.

For the wheels I had narrowed down my options to Enkei RPF1's, Work Rezax II, SSR SP3's, and I had searched some to find some used CCW Classics, and I stumbled across a set of used Forgeline GX3/GX3R's on Ebay. They're light, strong, I've seen a lot of positive feedback on them, I like the looks and I haven't seen a 240 with them, so I bought them.

They're 3pc with hidden fasteners, 18"x9" with 7" backspacing. The plan is to change the lips and barrels to get them to 11" wide and right now I'm estimating a 6" backspace (0 offset). I'm still working on picking out the colors I want to build them in. The faces most likely will be satin bronze, but I haven't decided on the lip color yet, I'm thinking either polished, high gloss/liquid/polished bronze, gloss black, or matte black.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #65
Flipt86

Trader Rating: (0)
Flipt86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is an awesome build with your attention to detail.. I'm currently putting an L33 with a M12 T56 in my Miata, and was drooling over your simple mechanical reverse lockout. Would you be interested in building another and selling them? If so, I would be interested.

Let me know,
Thanks!
Flipt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #66
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
that offset tool is really rad. you could lease that out to people.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #67
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Flipt - I would be willing to make another, I actually built it with intentions of selling them as a kit with the low profile reverse switch, but I've noticed the release action softening up on mine and it doesn't work nearly as well now as it did when I first installed it. So I'm planning a redesign once I get a little further on the wheel fitment project.

Malik - I probably could sell them for a little more than the price of a Percy's Wheelrite, with certain limitations, in it's current design its for 1 wheel diameter and 1 width unless there are extra rim sections made, and you have to use a combination square with it to move the two sides the same. It's not too refined, but it definitely works.

- Small update on the thread.

My wheels came in from Ebay yesterday, they look amazing, one draw back, turns out they measured the wheels wrong, they're 17's....not too happy about that. So right now I have the dilemma of sending them back and most likely accepting the fact that Forgelines probably will not be in my budget, or work the seller over for a discount and build them with double step lips. The way I see it is the wheels have 3 strikes on them for the money, 17's, weak offset, works out to like a +50, and a bad barrel, so they're basically a set of 17" faces. I bought them figuring on buying a set of 18" faces. I'm struggling with it since I was super pumped on running Forgelines with their reputation, and I'm not sure if I want to go to a double step, I've seen a few double steps I like, but most remind me of a dog wearing a cone on its head and just look sad. Decisions decisions....

Last edited by MyblackS13; 01-25-2017 at 11:05 AM..
MyblackS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #68
taeisbeast
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
taeisbeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
#toomuchsauce

Excellent thread. Great stuff going on here.
taeisbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #69
Flipt86

Flipt86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblackS13 View Post
Flipt - I would be willing to make another, I actually built it with intentions of selling them as a kit with the low profile reverse switch, but I've noticed the release action softening up on mine and it doesn't work nearly as well now as it did when I first installed it. So I'm planning a redesign once I get a little further on the wheel fitment project.
Awesome! I'll check back in on the thread.

Looks like I can PM you now also, so I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks for the reply.
Flipt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #70
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Updates....

My extended lower brackets for my coilovers are complete and I've tested them for fit. With 1" of extension I lose about 1 degree of camber, so I'm maxed out at 2 with the wheels at full droop, I'll have to see where it goes at ride height, I was looking for around 2 - 3 judging by other grip set-ups. I may end up slotting the top hole or running extended camber plates if I find I need it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results.

After fitting the extended strut mount I did a little more work with the rim tool to determine backspacing/offset for my wheels. Since my flares will be about the same size as the current rear over fenders the rear was pretty easy.

The front has been a lot more difficult to determine. I decided to change out one of the fiberglass fenders for a steel OEM Silvia fender to get a feel for how much flare I'm going to need in the front.

I found that I want to have as much positive offset as I could fit in relation to the strut, the further the wheel went out, the more it would hit when it was turned. I also found that I probably will be tubbing the front for clearance, once the suspension is compressed there isn't much steering angle available before the tires start to hit the outer part of the tub, towards the front of the car. I've settled on 18x11 with a 6.5" backspacing (+12.7 offset) for the front and 18x11 with 6" backspacing for the back (0 offset).
For the wheels, I came to an agreement with the seller on the Forgelines, they knocked off some of the cost since they were 17's instead of 18's so it made the deal pretty hard to pass up. I've decided to try double step lips.

4" Front Lips

4.5" Back

I'm pretty happy with how they look, I'm going to swap the hubs and do some more test fitting then finishing on the wheels. The inners are going to be black hardcoat anodized and teflon coated. But, I'm even more on the fence than before on the lip color since I'm kinda digging the grey color that they are now in the raw.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #71
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Those wheels are far from dog cones

Old 02-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #72
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

ehhhregartless, I'm definitely liking the direction my wheels are going, I think I saw too many pics of triple steps and slant lips when I was looking up double step wheels. I think the face of the wheel being front mounted helps too.

Also, made a little more progress on the car tonight. Temporarily swapped over a front hub to test fit a wheel.

Everything looks good for clearance so far (or at least as expected) so I'm going to check a few more things and get some powder coat samples ordered to make some color decisions.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #73
obscene
Leaky Injector

obscene is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome work!
obscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #74
rtautosport

rtautosport is an unknown quantity at this point
What an awesome build, just found this. Goodluck with the continued progress, Ill be watching this one!
rtautosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #75
dalecl9
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dalecl9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wish the pictures worked ;/
dalecl9 is offline   Reply With Quote