Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #211
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here we go! Official big step towards Lone Star Drift?s Drift Week 3 is starting! Robbie will be fabricating a new top mount manifold for the GT2871R with a Tial vband exhaust housing and wastegate! After, we will be getting the NismotronicSA dialed in by @turbogixxertuning in Auburn WA. And we still need Paul from WiseConcepts in Bend Oregon to do touch ups on the fiberglass for Drift Week 3 and @finalbout [emoji31] I hope I can get my car to a car show this year but the calendar is looking insanely packed! I will have to post event details on my website once everything is set in stone. I hope everyone can make it out to the big events this year!

Here?s Robbies manifold and stainless piping. Looks tits! Can?t wait to have this style under my hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #212
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Progress in the top mount manifold!

Old 02-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #213
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Robbie just sent me a few photos. Manifold is finished, now hes working on the wastegate and dump pipe. Here?s the turbo as it will sit.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #214
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Here an update on the down pipe. Getting close!

Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #215
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Robbie is finished with the cold, hot pipe, and the intake. He?s now doing the final installations. It seems like I need to buy a new oil feed line to reach the new location.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #216
bmikes93

Trader Rating: (1)
bmikes93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sick dude! I've followed this build for a while but just realized it's you Eddi. Looks like you're making good progress man!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
bmikes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #217
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmikes93 View Post
Sick dude! I've followed this build for a while but just realized it's you Eddi. Looks like you're making good progress man!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks man!!!

Old 03-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #218
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Installed new PBM high clearance tension rods on my s13 today. PartsShopMax always with the hookup.

My radiator core support and driver side tension rod bucket is separating from the frame rail. I?m going to Villains this weekend to have that patched up... John Danyals gave me a few pointers and told me to consider going tube front in the near future. Maybe at the end of the season I?ll talk to a few fabricators to see how much it would cost.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #219
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Good shit man! That thing is coming back together nicely.

Yeah I always tell people S13's are tin cans, but some people are still convinced you can thrash them without it tearing them apart eventually. All the chassis bracing and spot welding you can do is worth doing!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #220
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Good shit man! That thing is coming back together nicely.

Yeah I always tell people S13's are tin cans, but some people are still convinced you can thrash them without it tearing them apart eventually. All the chassis bracing and spot welding you can do is worth doing!

I completely forgot to update my thread with my adventures this past month!

Old 04-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #221
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

After my last update regarding the new tension rod installation, I loaded up the 240 to head out to Walla Walla. Since Kurt patched up the passenger side last time, I asked if he could do the other side. I didn?t get detailed photos, but basically the bottom half of the core support separated from the frame rails, tension bucket bolts were missing on the driver side, and one of the sway bar mounting bolts went missing. Kurt decided to make 2 custom bolt brackets to put inside the frame rail (much like the from subframe bolt brackets, but with nuts welded to the brackets). He patched up the lower core support and part of the frame rail that started separating.

Nate also have me a spare muffler and threw it on with a vband if I ever want to swap it out to straight pipe. I really appreciate the Villains Drift guys helping me out for driftweek 3! Highly recommend supporting these guys if you?re looking for angle kits or hydros!

Also made a sticker from the Infamous design Ms Crimsona sent me!

Old 04-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #222
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Later that week after the visit to the Villains drift fab shop, I took my s13 up to Auburn WA to visit Kenny. We threw the car on the dyno to see what up we could get out of the new setup. Just to be clear, I went top mount to make maintenance easier, and also I was tired of changing the T2 gasket every month!

I made 350whp, which was not a big difference. But the real gains came from faster spool, greater low end torque, more torque throughout the entire power band. I?m making more then 250lb/tq around 2100rpm lol

I?m really trying to focus on reliability, so I?ve reached my power goals. Now I need to make sure I can maintain this motor for 2021 season... *foreshadowing*

Old 04-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #223
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

The scaling axis is off between the two graphs but you can get a general idea of the torque gains at 2200. At 3000 you can see it went from 235 to roughly 310 lb/tq. At 4000 it went from 298 to 325!

The turbo spools quicker then before, and it gained more power band, while also gaining more torque!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #224
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

After the new turbo, frame rail button up, and dyno: I headed to Spirit Peaks Raceway to shake down the motor! That unfortunately didn?t go well. Let?s just say the car felt so amazing! I feathered the throttle throughout the entire track! It felt so good.... and then on the 7th lap, I let Zach Farrar slide the car.

We were both stoked that the car was running tits, so I let Farrar rip it. Half way through the lap, the motor started misfiring and sounded like a Subaru... we blew the head gasket!

Once we got back into the pits, I noticed the vacuum like for the wastegate popped off! We did a compression test and found 1, 2, and 3 popped. We believe the boost spike caused the motor to lean out and lift the head. I was super bummed and had the car loaded on the trailer by 11:30am.

Cylinder 3 had a cracked spark plug. This is usually caused by detonation.

Shayley giving me the bird.

After soaking over the condition of my motor, I asked Sheila if I could do a few laps in her BRZ. This car actually does very well drifting! With little horse power, all you have to do is take a wide line and maintain a shallow angle. It was also very fast!

One of Sheila?s West Lake tires delaminates... and her rocket bunny kit exploded... sorry Sheila! She?s not worried about it, her car is about to get a refresh!

I got the car back to my home town and there she sat in her natural habitat... blown head gasket and all.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #225
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

I?ve never changed the head gasket in my life. I?m usually scared to crack open the long block. Typically I take the whole motor out and I give it to somebody to work on. With my current budget I said fuck it I need to learn how to do this. I asked for advice from my motor builder and he told me to do: a compression test and a leak down test. He told me to send him the numbers so we can see what happened.

The compression test numbers are kind of weird. Based off of the way the car was behaving at idle I can could tell that exhaust gases were being pushed into the coolant jacket. While I was doing the compression test, cylinder one and cylinder two were pushing compression between the two cylinders and also into the coolant jackets.

Cylinder three it was very concerning because of the broken spark plug porcelain. Jim Heald and I were both worried that the piston was damaged.

Based off of the data that I gathered from the compression test and the leak down test, it was evident that only the head gasket went bad. It didn?t seem like valves were damaged nor was the pistons damaged.

The one thing that I always fear about taking apart a motor is the timing chain. Especially on these dual cam motors the upper timing chain always confuses me. I went ahead and bought paint pens from Walmart and marked everything like a psychopath.

I don?t think I took any photos of it but I also built a workbench so I could lay all the parts out on a nice surface.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #226
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

I?d like to repeat I?ve never done this before and my ADHD usually lose shit all the time. Building that workbench was the best decision for this process.

I kept the camp cabs nice and organized facing the correct orientation I even labeled them with white and red paint pens. White being intake red being exhaust. I even organized the shims in a bin in their proper position. Just glancing at one side of the head gasket you can see where the material is missing is where the head gasket blew.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #227
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

It took about a week to get the head back from the machine shop because they were backed up. I decided to go with new head studs just for peace of mind. I don?t have a micrometer to measure if they had studs were actually stretched but I didn?t want to risk it.

This time around I went with a 1.5 thickness head gasket. Previously it was a 1.0. The machine shop so that the head was pretty straight they only skimmed ten thousandths off.

The machine shop also mentioned that his head was machined off the top quite a bit. Charlie said that if this had warps again they won?t be able to machine the cam side. I have to get a new head maybe I?ll have to do some head work in the future. I?ll leave that to future me to figure out.

Once I got the head together it was pretty late. I was burning the midnight oil because I needed to get to the Lonestar Drift event at the ridge motorsports park.

I actually ended up breaking down. One thing I have learned in life is to never depend on other people. You control the present you control the future you control your goals. If someone says you can?t do it guess what you can. It?s very nice to be able to have a mentor but I don?t have one. I don?t have anybody to teach me how to do this thing called life. It took me a while to figure out how to assemble the timing chain, even the factory service manual procedure didn?t make any sense. When I was trying to assemble everything based off the factory service manual they leave out the steps here and there. It it seems like a few of the steps are out of order. Even watching YouTube videos they don?t tell you the tips and tricks a little advice that you really need to get through the night.

One of these days I?ll have all the tools I?ll need to be able to rebuild the entire engine on my own. I?d like to be able to only have to outsource machine work. I think one of the goals I really want to do is to be able to learn how to assemble the bottom end. Have all the proper digital micrometers and understand the proper procedure on how to check clearances on the crank bearings etc.

by 3:30 AM I made it home. I had to be awake by six to load the trailer up to head to Shelton Washington for the Lonestar Drift event.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #228
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

I also forgot to mention before headed home I test drove the car around town. Everything seemed to be in order so I went to an industrial park and slid the car around. She seemed tiptop so I was confident that the weekend was going to be a great time!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #229
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Lonestar Drift did a collaboration with global time attack! They somehow convinced the Ridge in Motorsports in Park to allow drifters at their beautiful facility. Let?s just say that our drift cars are not as immaculate as those road course guys. To elaborate there are some people leaking liquids truck was pissed at us when we want sliding off course even though we?re in a skid pad and with drifting comes riffraff.

I personally think the event went amazing I didn?t have any issues other than understeering off the course couple times and the track officials got upset over that. I was trying to avoid colliding with Cameron Moore. I?d much rather run over a couple of cones then put a dent in Cameron?s coupe!

The motor held up all day Saturday I even was drifting in third gear on the main road course connecting three or four consecutive corners. It was wild it was like Gatebil! I honestly hope Grid Life ends up coming to this facility it was amazing!

Also the skid pad! The course layout was top notch! It had 1 big 2nd gear sweeper, with a long challenging transition into a hairpin, transition back to 2 more corners. It reminded me of a smaller version of FD Atlanta!

I hope Lone Star will be able to bring us back for another event later this summer. There seems to be mixed opinions on that due to people flying off track and leaking oil all over... we shall see if Losey can somehow convince them otherwise.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:45 PM   #230
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Also forgot to mention, the girlfriend and I went down to Medford to drop off a non-rolling shell s13. We ended up towing back her new e36 build!

Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #231
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Good stuff dude! I can relate with the doing projects on your own thing man. I’ve learned a whole lot of lessons by struggling through things when there’s nobody there to help. I’m glad you got the thing back together and had a good time! New powerband looks a lot easier to drive. Keep going dude!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote