Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #121
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So if you got them to install the motor + cost of motor, we're looking at $8k-$10k....bah
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #122
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$8K to $10K for ~350hp and up, that is naturally aspirated/reliable. Still sounds like a deal to me.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #123
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
When you break the different systems down even more you will realize you are getting quite a lot. Also not everybody needs Hinson to supply everything, when you can do the wiring that saves $400, doing the subframe mods yourself, used corvette engine mounts, used GT0 oil pan, all these savings will add up. The price is affected by what can be donw by yourself and what has to be paid for.

So I still believe it is completely worth the money, when you start looking at other swaps the LS1 owns...
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #124
Neejay
Post Whore!

Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240
When you break the different systems down even more you will realize you are getting quite a lot. Also not everybody needs Hinson to supply everything, when you can do the wiring that saves $400, doing the subframe mods yourself, used corvette engine mounts, used GT0 oil pan, all these savings will add up. The price is affected by what can be donw by yourself and what has to be paid for.

So I still believe it is completely worth the money, when you start looking at other swaps the LS1 owns...
Yeah, see I'd have to pay for everything as I have no garage space or any spot to do anything car related.

I'd rather start out on a better platform though (as far as the car being in good condition already.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #125
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ranger2339
Im going with all hinson shit..I will be installing it all myself, i just dont have the fab. resources..

I will keep a good log on the cost and keep you guys updated..

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #126
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

Yeah keep a price list, It is kind of a bummer if you don't have the resources or knowledge to do it yourself. But that is where Hinson is awesome you can either do a lot yourself or buy it all and just install.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #127
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

PXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to PXRdriFT
i'm starting my swap now. i just ordered the basic hinson mounting kit. i was able to find a new gto oilpan off ebay and saved some money that way plus i'm trying to source my own mounts.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #128
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

ranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura aboutranger2339 has a spectacular aura about
Hell ya frank!!!

Keep us updated??

Let me know how the insatll kit is and take some pics pppplease!!!

Josh
Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #129
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

PXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nicePXRdriFT is just really nice
will do josh. talked to brian on friday and they will start working on my subframe tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #130
dans
Leaky Injector

dans is making a name for him/her selfdans is making a name for him/her selfdans is making a name for him/her self
Nice to see that folks are really after this swap. I picked up a 95 240 with the gola of turning it into a street/track hybrid and while my first thought was to keep it 4cyl, this makes the move to large cube american power just far too nice to not put on the shopping list. Thanks go to those who are doing this now for being the test bunnies, I and others offer you our thanks.
dans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #131
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Make sure you guys that order the hinson stuff, let brian know i sent you. you will get a better deal.

Let me know guys how the swap goes.

I dont want to see any unfineshed projects.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #132
dans
Leaky Injector

dans is making a name for him/her selfdans is making a name for him/her selfdans is making a name for him/her self
I wonder if anyone has looked at doing a full custom subframe out of moly with some modified suspension points to imporve geometry?

Nothing like saving weight and improving performance at the same time. Put the big bad V8 on top of it and I'd pay the extra for the performance bump.
dans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #133
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
Make sure you guys that order the hinson stuff, let brian know i sent you. you will get a better deal.

Let me know guys how the swap goes.

I dont want to see any unfineshed projects.

Hey i did and got a discount plus a military one...........

Luke i know your hella busy but i need a weld loc diff soon for a spare, i have a s15 diff but need a spare for events.....

Sooo hows your car luke, you been doing good in FD with that eleswon engine??

Ax
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #134
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

Just got it today...

Now I just need Hinson to get cracking on my subframe...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #135
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Yo frank man looking good, hey did you send them a core subframe???

Where did ya get your engine from??

Ax
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #136
Creizai
Zilvia Junkie

Creizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura aboutCreizai has a spectacular aura about
Good, to bad cost is to high.
Creizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #137
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

i sent the core on 31 July...

i got the motor from a guy in san diego. i was able to hear it run while it was in the car before buying. came out of an 01 WS6.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #138
Neejay
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXRdriFT
i sent the core on 31 July...

i got the motor from a guy in san diego. i was able to hear it run while it was in the car before buying. came out of an 01 WS6.
How much did you pay?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #139
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

$4500.......
Old 08-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #140
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Thats about right...Im looking at an 02 SS LS1 for about $4600 shipped to me with harness,ECU, t56 tranny etc.....

I have to get my subframe shipped to hinson asap........

Ax
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #141
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

talked to brian yesterday. the subframe should be done and ready to ship either today or monday. i'll have to call on monday to check status again.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #142
s14shrkeye

s14shrkeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Does the reflash of the ECU provided by Hinson account for the stupid 1st to 4th gear shift on the T56 when you are just giving it alittle gas? I know that they sell a little module in Summitt and other stores that allow you to get full 1st through 6th shifting even when you aren't giving it alot of gas, but I was wondering if the reflash accounted for it. Also, is the swap going to have a fully functioning OBDII port. In upper NY they hook your car into the state computer for the emissions portion of the inspection and the only way I could talk myself into this swap is if all of the engine electronics function as if they were still sitting in the donor camaro/firebird/gto/corvette. If all the systems function this is definitely the swap for me.
s14shrkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #143
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

What do you mean by the shifting, it is a manual transmission. The OBDII port is installed and fully functional if you get the wiring done by HSC or if you know how to do it yourself.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #144
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14shrkeye
Does the reflash of the ECU provided by Hinson account for the stupid 1st to 4th gear shift on the T56 when you are just giving it alittle gas? I know that they sell a little module in Summitt and other stores that allow you to get full 1st through 6th shifting even when you aren't giving it alot of gas, but I was wondering if the reflash accounted for it. Also, is the swap going to have a fully functioning OBDII port. In upper NY they hook your car into the state computer for the emissions portion of the inspection and the only way I could talk myself into this swap is if all of the engine electronics function as if they were still sitting in the donor camaro/firebird/gto/corvette. If all the systems function this is definitely the swap for me.
not sure if the reflash accounts for it but the rx7 guys cut off the CAGS plug and solder a 2.2K ohm resister between the two cut wires to eliminate the skip shift control.

my wiring harness was just completed today. pretty straight forward. some of the rx7 guys did it for me. my hinson subframe and driveshaft are supposed to be mailed out tomorrow. last major items are the headers.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #145
s14shrkeye

s14shrkeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXRdriFT
not sure if the reflash accounts for it but the rx7 guys cut off the CAGS plug and solder a 2.2K ohm resister between the two cut wires to eliminate the skip shift control.

my wiring harness was just completed today. pretty straight forward. some of the rx7 guys did it for me. my hinson subframe and driveshaft are supposed to be mailed out tomorrow. last major items are the headers.

Are you going to have your headers enter a y-pipe and terminate as a single exhaust?
s14shrkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 AM   #146
ranger2339
Zilvia Junkie

Sending out my subframe in two days whooo........

I will be using a Y-pipe from hinson and going with a single exit exhaust, i have a s-13...

Frank you think your RX7 guys can hook my harness up, ill IM ya???

Josh
Old 08-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #147
PXRdriFT
Zilvia Member

i will be going with a single exhaust as well. i want to utilize the one i have.

josh, no problem. shoot me an im next time i'm on.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #148
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
I was looking under a 300zx TT and noticed that the rear anti sway bar had two humps in it to clear a true dual exhaust unlike the s14 one that only has clearance for a single exhaust.

Is the 300zx rear anti sway bar interchangeable with the s14s rear? Is it the same diameter (might even be an upgrade)? If so it might be an easy way to go true dual out the back.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #149
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
I have tried to put a z32 rear sway on a s14. Dont ask me why.

Anyways that 2nd hump hits the s14 gas tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard
I was looking under a 300zx TT and noticed that the rear anti sway bar had two humps in it to clear a true dual exhaust unlike the s14 one that only has clearance for a single exhaust.

Is the 300zx rear anti sway bar interchangeable with the s14s rear? Is it the same diameter (might even be an upgrade)? If so it might be an easy way to go true dual out the back.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #150
mikespeed95
Zilvia Member

mikespeed95 will become famous soon enoughmikespeed95 will become famous soon enoughmikespeed95 will become famous soon enoughmikespeed95 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mikespeed95
wow, lot of information in this thread....also a lot of misinfo, and things that reallllllllllly make me wonder.

anyways, peopel wanting a ls1 swap, check out http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

heres some bulid up threads on s chassis on there right now

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565461

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564082

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565336

has anyone actually completed a hinson s13 yet luke with the hood closing, or hte front swaybar clearing the oil pan?? my blower is only 3'' taller than the stock manifold, and it stuck 4.5'' out the top of the hood

j30 rear swaybar can solve problems with exhaust clearance. my ls13 is running dual 3'' exhausts,and sounds like nascar. however i personally on my ls13 arent running any swaybars right now, since i cant get a front one that will clear the oil pan.

for the money, a ls1 stock will throw down about 330rwhp with the mods required to put it in a s chassis. you can get a motor for between 2500-4k if you get off your butt and actually call around, and look. i paid 3500 for my complete motorset, with only 30k miles on it out of an 02 ss camaro.