Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
NoFlex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Axle Rubbing Coilover

So I've had this problem for some time now, my rear right axle on my s13 keeps dick slapping my coilover. It sits extremely close to it to the point where the boot is touching it and rubbing. It has been like this for about 3 years. My coilover has grooves worn in the bottom housing from this. ( will try to post a pic tonight ).

I have a j30 diff with s14 axles, this also happened on the same side when I have an open diff and s13 stock axles.

any ideas
NoFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Def post a pic, I'm having trouble understanding how this is even possible. . . unless someone put the wrong axle boot on it?
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Def post a pic, I'm having trouble understanding how this is even possible. . . unless someone put the wrong axle boot on it?
happened twice with two different axles, axle is literally right next to the rear coilover
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
there is no way it should be that close, either the boot is the wrong boot, or something is seriously out of shape

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
pics or gtfo. would subframe risers fix it?
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

will post a pic tonight
Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

https://m.imgur.com/a/gwcHn
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
FYI S13 and S14 axles are the same, regardless of the difference in track width between the cars.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #9
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
FYI S13 and S14 axles are the same, regardless of the difference in track width between the cars.
yeah, had the same issue with both s13 and 14 axles. Looking at it further and comparing one side to the other is it possible that the traction bar that controls caster is too far out ? I am thinking if turn it all the way to the shortest setting the axle may move further away from the axle.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Looks like they're pretty chubby, for rear struts.

You might try loosening the inner clamp (on the outer boot, obviously), slide the boot out (toward the diff) as far as it will go in order to stretch it and pull the pleats closer to the axle (and thus farther from the strut), and re-clamping it.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Looks like they're pretty chubby, for rear struts.

You might try loosening the inner clamp (on the outer boot, obviously), slide the boot out (toward the diff) as far as it will go in order to stretch it and pull the pleats closer to the axle (and thus farther from the strut), and re-clamping it.
I've figured out the issue, the traction rod was set to a very long setting, I took it off (adjustable) and sthortened it by an inch or two. Now the coilover has about an inch of a half of space between the axle.

This brings me on to my next point, what is the purpose of these traction rods? For rear caster and bump steer adjustments? I am thinking about taking off my adjustable ISR ones and just using the stock arms
Old 10-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlex View Post
I've figured out the issue, the traction rod was set to a very long setting, I took it off (adjustable) and sthortened it by an inch or two. Now the coilover has about an inch of a half of space between the axle.
an INCH OR TWO???
holy fuck.

ditch those cheap ass arms and go back to stock.

Quote:
Old 10-27-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
an INCH OR TWO???
holy fuck.

ditch those cheap ass arms and go back to stock.
they are the isis V1 arms, about 5 years old, for some reason one side was extended by a lot. Alignment is just fine though.

Is there any benefit to the aftermarket adjustable arms? I think they have some play in the heim joints so I may get some oem arms
Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #14
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlex View Post
Is there any benefit to the aftermarket adjustable arms? I think they have some play in the heim joints so I may get some oem arms
the short answer, is that adjustable traction arms are of no use for 99.9% of 240 owners.

if you are VERY advanced at suspension setup (track dedicated vehicles, race teams, etc), then adjusting traction arm length is a useful tool

there is a lot of information here on the subject
http://nissanroadracing.com/index.php

Quote:
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 AM   #15
NoFlex
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
the short answer, is that adjustable traction arms are of no use for 99.9% of 240 owners.

if you are VERY advanced at suspension setup (track dedicated vehicles, race teams, etc), then adjusting traction arm length is a useful tool

there is a lot of information here on the subject
http://nissanroadracing.com/index.php
thanks for the info!! adjustables are definitely not useful for me in that case.