Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-23-2004, 02:12 AM   #1
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
more burning oil

Everytime my car is parked uphill or downhill for a significant period of time, i get massive blue smoke billowing out of my exhaust for a good 15 minutes or so. The car runs fine and all, but I'm told of course blue smoke is oil burning.

This problem has been around a while, I've posted about it before. No major accidents or damage to the engine, no major engine work.

'91 cams , both intake and exhaust. I've replaced the valve cover gasket, got new sparkplugs and wires, take it to at least one shop for a quick inspection (during the gasket install)...and I'm really worried now.

This ONLY happens during parking up hill or down hill. Other than that, it's fine. In fact, i've made it through several Auto-X sessions, AND just made it to and back from LA for JGTC GT Live.

What could cause this, and how can i treat it? I'm gonna do a tranny swap next month, so if I could find out the problem and buy wutever I need to buy, I can have the shop take care of it at the same time hopefully.
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2004, 02:31 AM   #2
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
seems like the incline is causing oil to leak onto or into your exhaust and pooling. but it happens when its parked on an incline, regardless of which direction its facing? that's pretty damn weird. good luck with it.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:03 AM   #3
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
yep, both ways...
Old 12-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
any obvious leaks on the engine? there's only so many places oil can leak from...

#1 valve cover
#2 front upper timing cover
#3 front lower timing cover
#4 front main seal (under crank pulley)
#5 rear main seal (where the tranny mates to the engine)
#6 oil pan

maybe its leaking from the rear seal and getting burned off on the tranny/exhaust. that wouldn't explain why u only get it from an incline though. if it were coming from the oil pan, then if the oil level were right it would leak only when the car is tilted, but that doesnt account for the smoke out the exhaust.

i suppose otherwise must be something internal to the engine, but i seriously can't imagine what. how's your oil level? did you overfill it?
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Could something be loose in the valve train? I was thinking like the valve seals weren't sealing up until it was warm but it would happen regardless where it was parked.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
OptionZero
Post Whore!

I had an oil change less than 2k miles ago. I suppose something inside could be wrong, but I hardly knowi nternals well enough to visualize where there might be damage. I have long suspected my cam install might not have been perfect, but they are '91 stock cams, and that was nearly a year ago, nothing has blown up since...

Maybe a new headgasket entirely? That seems like a pain in the ass and not even a surefire solution. Compression check?

I believe I scraped the undercarriarge once possibly, but that was also quite a while ago, maybe it just got worse over time? man, this really blows..

it only happens when the car is parked on an incline for like an hour. Today, I left it downhill for about 20 minutes, and nothing.