Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #121
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
So you slammed it so far it looked silly, rolled the fenders, and now (having ruined them) you're raising the rear, when the front is the part that really doesn't take well to lowering?

I see, from the miata's fenders, that you're following a formula here.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% stand behind you raising it. Just think about it, if you do something wrong admit it (at least to yourself) and have it be a learning experience, do better next time. You don't have to duplicate all your mistakes on two cars. Aero and rolled fenders are something you do do accomidate other excessive modifications, like massive wheels, and you do those so that you can have massive rubber on the ground, not so that you can have rolled fenders and skinny tires and be too lowered, if this all makes sense. Just consider that nearly everything you've done is cosmetic, and/or a downgrade (other than the engine, obviously).... and then think about that money going into gas and tires, and the amount of fun you could have had, without any ricey side-effects on your car, or perminant damage like rolled fenders.

By the way, are those 205's on the new wheels? If so, my personal advice (yeah, you won't listen, I know) is sell them, stock aluminium wheels look great (IMO) and it won't be a tragedy if you drift into something, and are about as wide as your bigger wheels. Your car will behave better with smaller wheels if they're the same width, anyway.

I probably said this and your car friend probably knows, but make absolute sure you break and re-torque all the bushings to the new height, any time you change it

tl/dr: not saying I don't dig you playing with the car, just that the car would work better for you and you'd have more money to do what's important with it, if you put it back to stock height and wheels, and went and drove it instead.
First off, i only rolled the lip of the fenders so they dont cut into the tires. I never ruined the fenders because the car hasnt even been driven. Tires have less than 1 mile on them. I am raising the car because i dont care about perfect fitment when i have some power to play with. Im raising the car to fit the aero and not risk damaging it with a pothole or something. Rolling the lip of the fender makes it flat so if you hit a bump and the tire goes up to the fender it will not cut into the tire. I dont want it stock height and i dont want stock wheels. The tires are 205s and its 17x8.5 so its wider than stock.
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #122
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Also i already raised the front coils all the way up so thats why i only said im raising the rear. Both front fenders had dents in them when i got the car.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #123
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Ehh, looked like you got the outside of the rear fenders. Hope not.

And no, if the tires are 205's, it doesn't matter how big the wheel is, you've got the same grip as I do on my stock SE wheels. In fact, you can fit a 215, and maybe bigger, on a stock wheel.

*edit* beyond that, I give up - you don't care about cars, you want an alleged japanese kit and shiny wheels to impress your peers - and come on here frontin' like your car keeps you away from them and above social pressure or something. Too bad, this had the potential to be cool.

I'll watch for your part-out.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #124
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
Blown beyond rebuild. Tons of shaft play but its whatever
No biggie isis turbos are cheap. Or grab a t28 from someone on here for even cheaper
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #125
fullthrottle
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
fullthrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

And no, if the tires are 205's, it doesn't matter how big the wheel is, you've got the same grip as I do on my stock SE wheels. In fact, you can fit a 215, and maybe bigger, on a stock wheel.

*edit* beyond that, I give up - you don't care about cars, you want an alleged japanese kit and shiny wheels to impress your peers - and come on here frontin' like your car keeps you away from them and above social pressure or something. Too bad, this had the potential to be cool.

Coming from someone who joined 2 months ago you should probably sit back and just read without posting. Atleast for your first year or so. drifting is a lot about style just as much as it is about suspension and power.
fullthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #126
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
Coming from someone who joined 2 months ago you should probably sit back and just read without posting. Atleast for your first year or so. drifting is a lot about style just as much as it is about suspension and power.
+1...mechanicalmoron is obviously a keyboard warrior and this is probably the only spike of motivation he can get...no worries man keep rashing ill be sure to let you know how all my other builds go too
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #127
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
This is the best comment on this thread, thank you i will definatley be reconsidering many many things and keeping this in my head. Update this weekend hopefully the motor will go in.
No problem. We have all been in your shoes once, and contrary to popular belief, some of us do like to help random people - which is why many people come across as being critical of your actions.

It's not that we're hating on you in any way - it's that we're trying to stop you from the mistakes that we've made or seen made - and then had to deal with the regret, or hearing about the regret. I'm fairly confident that everyone that I know that has bought racelands has regretted the purchase, or has acknowledged that they would have been better off saving the money for better coils, knock off wheels are kind of hit or miss, but the engine thing falls into the same category as the racelands. I couldn't count the number of 240's that I've seen making 250-300 whp with stock suspension, other than crappy springs/struts or coil overs. They all handle like complete crap, and are unreasonably hard to drive fast - most of the owners will be the first to admit that you should make the car drive and handle well, and then make it powerful.

In any case, good luck with the car, make it do cool stuff or your time has been wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundit View Post
Nobody should expect someone your age to do EVERYTHING right. Its just part of it. I had a pretty gay ricey looking hyundai accent when i was 16 and whenever i blew the motor and started researching i learned how to do things a better way.
For what it's worth - I don't agree with this.

Anyone that is smart enough to find a 240sx related forum, specifically Zilvia, Nico, or wherever, has no excuse to make bad car related decisions. Collectively, there are THOUSANDS of lifetimes of available information, for those willing to acknowledge that it's there.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't make mistakes, I'm saying that when they mess up they should acknowledge they mess up. For example, I bought some ARP extended studs last week, with the expectation that they would fit my car - and when they came in, they were 12mm X 1.5 thread rather than being 12mm X 1.25 thread - as is stock. Funny thing is that I knew ARP studs were a different thread, but for whatever reason I derped and ordered them anyway. Stupid mistake, I can only blame myself for the money wasted, since I had been told more than once that the thread was different.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #128
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:

You're a fucking ass, you haven't been on this forum for hardly any time at all, as far as I know you don't even own a car, so stop acting like you're way better than this kid. Jesus, people like you just need to shut up.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #129
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
You're a fucking ass, you haven't been on this forum for hardly any time at all, as far as I know you don't even own a car, so stop acting like you're way better than this kid. Jesus, people like you just need to shut up.
You got me, I ride the bus, I just hang out on car forums because, as someone who rides the bus, proper suspension geometry and people not making poorly thought out perminant changes to cars I like is so important to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post

th' fuck you talkin' about? What does drifting being about style and not power, have to do with my post? I am arguing for thought-out, quality modifications that make a car better, be they to the suspension, engine, aero, whatever. Maybe you have "style" with stock sized tires on your big wheels and a suspension that is so stylish that it does not function properly, and feel personally attacked by my statements? He could have big wheels, a stupid-low car, and aero out the ass, and still do all of those things the right way, I'm just telling him to stop wasting money doing them the wrong way, and harm to his car at the same time.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #130
Fracture
Leaky Injector

Fracture is an unknown quantity at this point
Kid, do what you want with the car. You can't please everybody. You're lucky you have the means to get a car at 15 years old. I didn't have that luxury. You want to do what everybody else does at 15 when they get a 240? Go for it. Do what makes you happy and ignore the clowns. It's your car, not theirs.
Fracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #131
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
Kid, do what you want with the car. You can't please everybody. You're lucky you have the means to get a car at 15 years old. I didn't have that luxury. You want to do what everybody else does at 15 when they get a 240? Go for it. Do what makes you happy and ignore the clowns. It's your car, not theirs.
+1. Don't listen to any of the hate, especially that mechanicalmoron idiot. He's the reason why lots of other kids your age stray away from the car community.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #132
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update..

I decided to buy a garret gt28rs turbo. its $1250 and i am 100% paying for it with my own money. The $530 saved for the isis and then i am taking out about $700 from my savings account and i get paid this wednesday.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #133
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
I just want to see the car when it's ready to roll.

As for what he's purchased so far, I ain't mad. It's not my car.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #134
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Update..

I decided to buy a garret gt28rs turbo. its $1250 and i am 100% paying for it with my own money. The $530 saved for the isis and then i am taking out about $700 from my savings account and i get paid this wednesday.
Honestly dude just get a t28. It will be a few hundred bucks, and you'll save a ton of cash. You don't need a lot of power to drift. A stock sr does very well. An sr with a t28 at around 12-14psi will be killer and more than enough to roast the tires every turn. My buddy has a t25 on a stock ka at 5psi and it breaks 245's loose without a problem. The t28 sr will be wayy more than you need. The gt28 is just overkill and overspending for no reason.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #135
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
Honestly dude just get a t28. It will be a few hundred bucks, and you'll save a ton of cash. You don't need a lot of power to drift. A stock sr does very well. An sr with a t28 at around 12-14psi will be killer and more than enough to roast the tires every turn. My buddy has a t25 on a stock ka at 5psi and it breaks 245's loose without a problem. The t28 sr will be wayy more than you need. The gt28 is just overkill and overspending for no reason.
ok thank you
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #136
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Damn, my S13 sucked when i was 15.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #137
xblue__smokex

xblue__smokex is an unknown quantity at this point
im 15
i dont have a car
im jealous of all your money
if i just saved since i was 8 years old i could have had 3500+ for a buold
lucky
xblue__smokex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #138
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
i commend you on this build. keep up the good work ethic! like stated before, people that are twice and triple your age don't even have and probably never will find one like you have. you seem like a smart kid so I know that when you run into your first problem with the parts people are bashing you will learn your lesson. I just cant say anything myself about them because I admire your hard work and desire to not end up like todays society of kids your age. goodluck in your s-chassis adventure man!

p.s.- I saw your other youtube videos of you playing forza horizon. you still got xbox live?
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #139
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkiset View Post
i commend you on this build. keep up the good work ethic! like stated before, people that are twice and triple your age don't even have and probably never will find one like you have. you seem like a smart kid so I know that when you run into your first problem with the parts people are bashing you will learn your lesson. I just cant say anything myself about them because I admire your hard work and desire to not end up like todays society of kids your age. goodluck in your s-chassis adventure man!

p.s.- I saw your other youtube videos of you playing forza horizon. you still got xbox live?
ya i do "Fly Supra" and thanks for h\the kind words
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #140
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Im waiting/hoping this thread turns into a build thread like Rolando Alfaro's on here... Everyone hating on the kid, and then him pulling off some amazing shit.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #141
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Im waiting/hoping this thread turns into a build thread like Rolando Alfaro's on here... Everyone hating on the kid, and then him pulling off some amazing shit.
Haha funny you say that, i just recently read his build and was shocked to see how our's were alike, and i talked to him. hes a good guy
Old 09-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #142
forzanoob

forzanoob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
If thisturns into anythng close to his i will follow every second ofthic build.
forzanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #143
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
you'll get it to where you need to be.

my advice would be to think long term. doing things twice sucks.

and i'd look into d-max street coilovers. gtr-garage sells them, 790 plus shipping.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #144
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
My criticism take it with a grain of salt. Dont turn out like most swag yolo kids and toss some unpainted aero and useless "racecar" mods on it and drive it into the ground, respect the car and it will return the favor. The wheels are ehh (could use less spokes IMO, but to each their own), don't go retarded frame scrape low thinking youre bad shit, youll regret it when your oil pan connects with pothole hidden by water, especially being an inexperienced driver. I agree with others who say it seams like youre just throwing parts at this with no real game plan (but then again I did the same with my first vehicle, its a phase). If I were you, I would do my homework on all your options before buying a certain upgrade (ask us if you need input, were more than happy to help). All in all, I wish I had picked up a 240 when I was your age and had the opportunity you do. Will be sure to follow your progress!

BTW if you dont mind my asking... where do you work 8 hour weeks and make enough bank to build a car, thats a job I need! ha.
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #145
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo1222 View Post
My criticism take it with a grain of salt. Dont turn out like most swag yolo kids and toss some unpainted aero and useless "racecar" mods on it and drive it into the ground, respect the car and it will return the favor. The wheels are ehh (could use less spokes IMO, but to each their own), don't go retarded frame scrape low thinking youre bad shit, youll regret it when your oil pan connects with pothole hidden by water, especially being an inexperienced driver. I agree with others who say it seams like youre just throwing parts at this with no real game plan (but then again I did the same with my first vehicle, its a phase). If I were you, I would do my homework on all your options before buying a certain upgrade (ask us if you need input, were more than happy to help). All in all, I wish I had picked up a 240 when I was your age and had the opportunity you do. Will be sure to follow your progress!

BTW if you dont mind my asking... where do you work 8 hour weeks and make enough bank to build a car, thats a job I need! ha.
I already said im raising the car up..function>form and im painting the whole car white myself with real paint not dip including the aero! also, i work 8 hours a week and sometime get a weekend shift 9-5 but its not that i make bank..its saving up lol
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #146
JoeyTheKid
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
JoeyTheKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
I already said im raising the car up..function>form and im painting the whole car white myself with real paint not dip including the aero! also, i work 8 hours a week and sometime get a weekend shift 9-5 but its not that i make bank..its saving up lol
Yeah I mean, a lot of people may be thinking wtf how does he get away with working 8 hours a week and make that much money but what they don't take into account is that because of your age, I'm assuming you still live at home. Which means that you don't have to pay for rent, utilities, cable, internet, cell phone, etc. So all that money goes straight towards candy and savings.
JoeyTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #147
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTheKid View Post
Yeah I mean, a lot of people may be thinking wtf how does he get away with working 8 hours a week and make that much money but what they don't take into account is that because of your age, I'm assuming you still live at home. Which means that you don't have to pay for rent, utilities, cable, internet, cell phone, etc. So all that money goes straight towards candy and savings.
haha yes this is true
Old 09-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #148
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update..

My turbo is not going to be here for a while, so i am focusing on the body for now. I have been practicing welding at school and i will be fixing the rust in my floors myself. I am going to also paint the car myself and i know that prep work is the most important part. I need to fix a lot of dents and also the failed plastic filler quarterpanel job. going to be a lot of work to do
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #149
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Yes it will be I did my rear fenders that had previous bondo work and it takes foreverrrr without power tools. Take your time thought and she'll look real nice
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #150
Magoo1222
Zilvia Junkie

Magoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura aboutMagoo1222 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I need to fix a lot of dents and also the failed plastic filler quarterpanel job.
Not sure how familiar you are with body work, but protip of the day, buy good quality light weight bodyfiller, not that garbage bondo brand from walmart. My favorite to use is Napa's "Crossfire" brand. Lays smooth and sands 100x easier than the cheaper stuff.
Magoo1222 is offline   Reply With Quote