Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #31
Lt Shinysides
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lt Shinysides is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any updates?
Lt Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just curious have you been saving all this money for a long time? cause i wish i had done that.. props to you tho man.
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #33
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
On one hand, it's cool and all, and neat that you're so young and doing this.

On the other hand, poor fenders, rolled for THAT? Car will handle like poop at that height, and the tein springs where probably better than raceland coils.

Stock color looks great, you might consider getting it resprayed or touched up and blended, raising it to correct the roll center and the front camber gain that you'll have like that, praying for forgiveness for doing that to your fenders, selling the kit, and concentrating on a reliable motor and suspension upgrades focused on performance, not looks.

Here's a great article series on why you should raise your car:

Handling and Cornering Improvment Guide - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

I assume you know this, but if not, as you'll need to know if you do read that or put any actual thought into suspension, we have macphearson front and multilink rear.

Also, I could be wrong but I assume raceland coils don't have a way of adjusting spring preload, other than height, and with my experience with entry level coils, you should ABSOLUTELY run them as high as you can, which is probably going to be as much of a drop as you should do without a bunch of suspension parts to adjust out the roll center/other changes, anyway. If you run them low you won't have enough (or any) preload, and the damping rates will probably be poorly matched to the spring rates, and being cheap the dampers are probably not going to work as well when they're already compressed that much (and may blow).

And, do you no longer have carpet? It looked just fine, better than mine and many other people's. If you don't have it, it's super ugly now.... hope you put it back.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
jp69

jp69 is an unknown quantity at this point
No updates??
jp69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #35
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

futures14drift is an unknown quantity at this point
For updates so far, The car is still at the body shop but i am picking up an SR20DET on tuesday, pictures will be posted!
futures14drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
On one hand, it's cool and all, and neat that you're so young and doing this.

On the other hand, poor fenders, rolled for THAT? Car will handle like poop at that height, and the tein springs where probably better than raceland coils.

Stock color looks great, you might consider getting it resprayed or touched up and blended, raising it to correct the roll center and the front camber gain that you'll have like that, praying for forgiveness for doing that to your fenders, selling the kit, and concentrating on a reliable motor and suspension upgrades focused on performance, not looks.

Here's a great article series on why you should raise your car:

Handling and Cornering Improvment Guide - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

I assume you know this, but if not, as you'll need to know if you do read that or put any actual thought into suspension, we have macphearson front and multilink rear.

Also, I could be wrong but I assume raceland coils don't have a way of adjusting spring preload, other than height, and with my experience with entry level coils, you should ABSOLUTELY run them as high as you can, which is probably going to be as much of a drop as you should do without a bunch of suspension parts to adjust out the roll center/other changes, anyway. If you run them low you won't have enough (or any) preload, and the damping rates will probably be poorly matched to the spring rates, and being cheap the dampers are probably not going to work as well when they're already compressed that much (and may blow).

And, do you no longer have carpet? It looked just fine, better than mine and many other people's. If you don't have it, it's super ugly now.... hope you put it back.
Thank you for your advice. I am looking into fender flares but either way the car is going to be raised up a lot to protect the aero kit from being destroyed. Cry about me using racelands, i don't care right now. For the carpet, if you looked through all the pictures, the car had 3 holes in the floor. Water got in and created mold. I am going to replace it with black carpet.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #37
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vJilly View Post
Just curious have you been saving all this money for a long time? cause i wish i had done that.. props to you tho man.
I have a job and have been working since i was 13.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures14drift View Post
I have a job and have been working since i was 13.
dude i wish i woulda done that. thats sick!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #39
PJ Prendergast

PJ Prendergast is an unknown quantity at this point
i wish i had just gotten a 240 when i was 15. i wanted to get into drifting badly and ended up getting one last year after my freshman year of college. you'll have to check out limerock as well as lebanon valley for some drifting if you haven't been before. the 240's looking good so far though!
PJ Prendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Thank you for your advice. I am looking into fender flares but either way the car is going to be raised up a lot to protect the aero kit from being destroyed. Cry about me using racelands, i don't care right now. For the carpet, if you looked through all the pictures, the car had 3 holes in the floor. Water got in and created mold. I am going to replace it with black carpet.
It's cool that you're almost receptive to advice.

You seemed to miss the important parts, but ehh...

I've considered racelands myself, I'm just telling you that they will probably preform best at their highest setting, and may or may not preform any better than your tein springs. Stop being all defensive, and think about what I said, and my PERSONAL experience with cheap coilovers - being lowered even where tein told me was awful, damping didn't work right, couldn't get camber right on EITHER end, etc. Now I'm 1 inch below stock (as high as I can go) and it's great (by comparison, of course).

Again, you should really check out that article, there's lots of reason to be pretty close to stock height, unless you have aftermarket knuckles, and then, you should still figure out your ideal height, if you care about your car doing anything other than looking good.

And, make SURE that any time you change the height, you loosen and re-torque ALL bolts on rubber bushings, with the suspension laden (or, you can lower your spring seat all the way, and jack up your lca, torque it all, and then put the seat back where you had it.) If you don't do this, you'll rip out the rubber bushings, and rubber is waaaay better than polyurethane for multilink.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #41
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Keep the car where it is. It's fine for what you want to do.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
ayrtonlucyk

ayrtonlucyk is an unknown quantity at this point
where did you get those bbs reps?
ayrtonlucyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Update!!
Today i picked up my new to me SR20DET. I got it off a fellow Zilvia member, "lt shinysides +1 to him, great person, met me half way and is a very fair person that gained my trust. Thanks, Hunter.
Anyways... This SR20 has 42k miles on it, built head, BC valves, BC springs, BC 264/272 cams, APR studs, 550cc injectors, isis rs3871 turbo, isis tubular manifold, aem v2 already tuned,custom tucked harness. Compression test goes: 155,153,154,155.
Also came with radiator, intercooler, bov, intercooler piping, fans, all lines, and a 1 piece driveshaft. Very happy with what i got.

Picture of me unloading the engine with the forklift at my shop.

Intercooler piping

Aem v2 already tuned

As you can see this motor was taken very well care of, everything is all taped up very well.

Picture of it in the previous owners car

More parts

Shiny...

Dat valve cover tho..

I am going to Florida till next tuesday and then i start school. I hope to have it up and running in one weekend. I will keep you guys updated! Thanks for reading.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #44
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You're making quick progress on this car. Damn. Can't wait to see that thing go in!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #45
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Jealous doesnt even describe! thats awesome!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Pretty awesome, I didnt get my first s13 until I was 17. Two years overdue.
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #47
bblack_91240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (23)
bblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nicebblack_91240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I love that you're doing this at such a young age! I think everyone can think back to their first 240 and reminisce! I got my first at 18 and I SR swapped it, z32 brakes, 5 lug, etc... I ended up selling it and regretted it so much. 5 years later I've had 4 240s and I just recently got my first one back from the kid I sold it to and it had 4 different SRs in it because the kid keep blowing them up. Word of advise, double check that the oil pan isn't dented from being transported or say bye bye to that nice SR! Also, if you keep it long enough I'm sure it will see many different stages. First car I bought was a civic and I wanted it to look like a fast and furious car. Now I just laugh at that. Your style will probably change, but your passion for cars will never die! Ask my wife! I drive her crazy haha Slam it, drive it, drift it... Who really gives a flying F*** about suspension geometry that drives a 240? I'm gonna say a very small portion of people that actually race their cars only. Best of luck man! Subscribed!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack_91240 View Post
I love that you're doing this at such a young age! I think everyone can think back to their first 240 and reminisce! I got my first at 18 and I SR swapped it, z32 brakes, 5 lug, etc... I ended up selling it and regretted it so much. 5 years later I've had 4 240s and I just recently got my first one back from the kid I sold it to and it had 4 different SRs in it because the kid keep blowing them up. Word of advise, double check that the oil pan isn't dented from being transported or say bye bye to that nice SR! Also, if you keep it long enough I'm sure it will see many different stages. First car I bought was a civic and I wanted it to look like a fast and furious car. Now I just laugh at that. Your style will probably change, but your passion for cars will never die! Ask my wife! I drive her crazy haha Slam it, drive it, drift it... Who really gives a flying F*** about suspension geometry that drives a 240? I'm gonna say a very small portion of people that actually race their cars only. Best of luck man! Subscribed!!!
Thank you...i will check the oil pan thanks for that.. and yes i drift like crazy ahhaa
Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #49
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
Trying to change my approach to fanboyish members so I'll try to keep it nice.

-Please don't plasti dip the car. If it's in a body shop, chances are they have a paint booth. Keep it a base/clear color.
-Flat paint is nice on certain cars, it looks extremely cheap on a S-Chassis
-Bed liner in the cockpit? Why? You should've removed the old sound deadening and applied new aftermarket deadening, you literally added a layer of extra gunk with no benefit.
-Raceland coilovers aren't very good coilovers for the value. A used set of Megans would've been better and I don't even like Megans.

While I know you're on a budget, your purchases are very impulsive. We were all your age at some point so we kind of understand where you're coming from with wanting a cool car this very moment. The advice/critique usually comes from the experiences a lot of us have gone through so don't take it as offensive but rather, constructive.

Good luck.
Amen!!
Please don't plastidip the car, its got great paint on it now, just have the kit paint matched and away you go.
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #50
truckmtrS13
Zilvia Member

truckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the rough
lost me at plasti dip....
truckmtrS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #51
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vJilly View Post
Jealous doesnt even describe! thats awesome!
you can say that again! Having this car, nevermind the work you've done on it, all before you have your damn drivers license is killer man.

I thought getting my first GT-R when I was 18 was pretty killer haha. or my first skyline before that, an R32 sedan in less than mint shape

Keep it up buddy, just don't do what I did and postpone/decide against post-secondary education to keep a car. Very lucky I had a second chance. Unless your future career doesn't require schooling...then giv'er buddy.

Last edited by Oakville; 09-04-2013 at 02:15 PM..
Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

So today i got back from my vacation, and i start school tomorrow. My plan today was to work from when i got home (around 4:30 PM, till about 10:00 PM) and work on pulling the ka during that time, but the tow company was "too busy" to pick my car up and bring it to my shop even with an call 8 hrs in advance. I will be working on the car thursday friday and the rest of the weekend, i will keep you guys updated!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #53
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Wait. You bought racelands and rep wheels but then dropped serious coin on a dope motor setup? Seems legit.

Where in MA you located? You on 240SXONE?
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #54
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Wait. You bought racelands and rep wheels but then dropped serious coin on a dope motor setup? Seems legit.

Where in MA you located? You on 240SXONE?
Nope, and Stoughton MA. Yes, i absolutely did that. Should i go buy a nissan sentra motor and expect some power? I bought reps because im not dropping $3k on work wheels at 15 years old, come on man...racelands are a different story..i will probably be buying new suspension within the next year or 2.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #55
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Nope, and Stoughton MA. Yes, i absolutely did that. Should i go buy a nissan sentra motor and expect some power? I bought reps because im not dropping $3k on work wheels at 15 years old, come on man...racelands are a different story..i will probably be buying new suspension within the next year or 2.
Technically an sr20 is a sentra motor...
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #56
LuckyRPS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
LuckyRPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
To be young with disposable income.

My 2 cents, Hang on to every thing you pull off the car. It can be resold to help fund the project.

Sr20's can be found in a large number of Nissan made cars from Sentra, G20, Silvia, 180SX, NX2000, Pulsar, and at least a dozen more. Unfortunately none of the USDM models were RWD.

Right side (USDM Passenger side) Replica S13 OEM Silvia Aero Bumper Grill

S13 Silvia J's, Q's, K's, A's Bumper grill inserts.

Male Plugs for S15 headlights

PM me if you need them.
LuckyRPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #57
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
I'm not saying a bad move. I'm saying something doesn't seem right. You went from saying you were poor because of your age to dropping obviously a couple grand on a motor set a very short period of time later.

Dope Sentra motor. @__________@
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #58
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
You seem to get a little defensive really easily.
Anyway, looks good so far.
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #59
TheFresHesT
Leaky Injector

TheFresHesT is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow great start and at a young age I can wait to see where this car goes in the next ten years...

Best of luck to you
TheFresHesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #60
futures14drift
Zilvia Member

Sorry if i seem defensive, but i'm just saying like i need to spend the money on the motor because it is a far more important upgrade than suspension and wheels. And about the sr20 i knew it was in different cars but i was wrong..yea. lol. Working on pulling the ka tonight after work ill post an update!