Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #7651
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Set traction rods to 212mm then adjust camber and toe. This was what I was told. I haven’t tried to align the car yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Traction is set at 220mm per gk techs engineering team (due to the front LCA pickup drop). It was either 25mm drop at 220mm or 50mm drop At 210mm. Also to note, those recommendations were specific to my setup with their rear knuckle.

Last edited by mr.nismo.; 06-15-2018 at 11:56 PM..
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #7652
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Getting the rear end dialed as close as possible, then I'll finish the front. Also welded gk techs k frame plates and sprayed it. Definitely will go nicely with the stealth custom Fab brace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #7653
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Traction is set at 220mm per gk techs engineering team (due to the front LCA pickup drop). It was either 25mm drop at 220mm or 50mm drop At 210mm. Also to note, those recommendations were specific to my setup with their rear knuckle.

Ah ok I see. They had told me and another guy to go to 212mm so I thought it was standard for their setup.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #7654
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.E View Post
Ah ok I see. They had told me and another guy to go to 212mm so I thought it was standard for their setup.
Youre not wrong, that is their setup recommendation, mine was specifically because I moved down my lower control arm front pickup

Old 06-25-2018, 03:30 AM   #7655
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Hey guys I know most do this but I'm curious if there's any knuckle's that do not. Do you guys know of any knuckle set-up that does not extend the lca, add track width, or neg camber? Is it even possible? I had the gktech bolt on ones but they pushed my wheels out +25mm. I'm looking for something that has some sort of improvement, but without increasing my track width/lca. The primary reason I'm looking for something like this is because I'm on stock fenders and I don't want to run -7 camber just to drive around. Thanks.
I am on stock fenders (and rolled inside lip) and i run -2 camber, with extended arms. 235/40/17 tyres on 8", et35 wheel.

I guess it depends on your wheel/tyre combo, and wether the car is slammed to the ground or not.

No one has info on that z33 steering rack mod ?
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #7656
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nismo. View Post
Getting the rear end dialed as close as possible, then I'll finish the front. Also welded gk techs k frame plates and sprayed it. Definitely will go nicely with the stealth custom Fab brace.
Looks good man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
No one has info on that z33 steering rack mod ?
I might still do this, as I rushed my crossmember to the powdercoaters without test fitting the stock rack in it. I need to do a bunch more trimming, and as Def was saying earlier, this thing isn't very strong as is.

I may just end up building a tubular front crossmember with Z33 rack mounts, especially if there's interest and I can sell a couple. I'll keep you guys updated.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #7657
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in France. Shipping that crossmember is going to cost more than having someone build it here I'd like to get the rack forward 20mm, not 45 though.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #7658
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Looks good man!

Thanks man!

Suspension is finally fully assembled. Small fight with the sway bars delayed me a bit, but parts shop max spherical end links saved the day.

Side note #1: With GK Techs drop knuckles and ctsv brake swap.com brackets, there will need to be 10mm of clearance done for the lower caliper mount. After messaging with Greg and the bracket manufacturer, I was given the okay to shave 5mm off each piece ONLY!

Side note #2: Gk Techs caliper mounting ears are slightly thinner than oem. I had to play around with washers to center the caliper just right. Just a heads up for anyone with big brakes that use adapter brackets.

Im super pumped for how this chassis is going to handle.

Last edited by mr.nismo.; 06-27-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Old 06-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #7659
bansheeracer2003
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
bansheeracer2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Can anyone else that has installed or driven the new Geomaster3 front and rear knuckles lmk how they liked them im thinking about getting a set for my drift car Im living in Thailand now so i haven't been so up to date on whats happening here.. any info/feelings/thoughts and pics would be appreciated!!

Last edited by bansheeracer2003; 06-30-2018 at 10:44 AM..
bansheeracer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #7660
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I want drop knuckles for my street car so I can correct the geometry. Don't need crazy angle or any changes to make it drift. What brands should I look at?
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #7661
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
GKTech makes drop knuckles with the stock steering arm length.

Angle knuckles feel great though. I got the PBM knuckle and it makes the car steer quicker like a newer sports car. You just need adjustable steering stops to keep it your wheels rubbing at full lock.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #7662
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I want to run the PBM front knuckle but without running extended lca's I don't really care on spacing out my track width for wheel clearance. I would rather my wheels stay inside my fenders then have tons of poke.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #7663
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You don't need extended LCAs unless you want tons of angle. Just keep the stock LCAs and figure out a way to limit the steering.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #7664
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
+1 to PBM's forged roll center correction knuckles. Love 'em. I have a pair on both my S13s. The flared hatch has super long LCAs (+56mm iirc) and the stock body coupe has S14 LCAs. Both cars are low and handle great. Lots of snappy angle on track, but still a good feel on the street, plus u-turns are a breeze.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #7665
Down2Earth
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Down2Earth will become famous soon enoughDown2Earth will become famous soon enoughDown2Earth will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have an S14 thats super low with neg. offset wheels.. My issue is my tierods have bind on my p/s rack because of the angle, would GKtech rack spacers solve this issue? My mechanic says I should pick up GKtechs roll center correction kit but I think thats a bit much for some steering bind..
Down2Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #7666
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I have an S14 thats super low with neg. offset wheels.. My issue is my tierods have bind on my p/s rack because of the angle, would GKtech rack spacers solve this issue? My mechanic says I should pick up GKtechs roll center correction kit but I think thats a bit much for some steering bind..
You can get the offset spacers to fix the bind, but its more strain on the rack.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #7667
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
I would highly suggest adding the roll center correction as it will transform how the car drives. However the GKtech kit adds 25mm to track width, so if your fitment is on point now, it will screw that up.

Yes the offset tie rod spacers will solve your issue.

I traded crossmembers with my buddy Joe (offthewall), and with some modifying he got the rack to fit. If I were to do this again, I'd definitely do this differently. I've decided I'm going to build a fabricated version with 350Z rack after all. Might produce a couple if I can get some interest going.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #7668
xaaronx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
xaaronx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ok, I’ve tried researching and I just can’t find a solid answer. WHAT IS MAKING MY FRONT END LIFT SO MUCH AT LOCK? I’m assuming it’s my high positive caster and lots of negative camber but I’m hoping someone can give me a definitive answer because I don’t fucking like and it looks really stupid (yeah, I know it’s probably actually helping me idc it’s dumb).

Specs/setup:
~-8 degrees negative camber
~+8 degrees positive caster
0 toe

Relocated steering rack
PSM inners, moog outers
25mm extended LCA
GP Sports drop knuckle
PSM coilovers
Cusco tension rods
18x9 -10
205/40r18

P.S. sorry about photo size, I am without computer.

xaaronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #7669
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaaronx View Post
Ok, I’ve tried researching and I just can’t find a solid answer. WHAT IS MAKING MY FRONT END LIFT SO MUCH AT LOCK? I’m assuming it’s my high positive caster and lots of negative camber but I’m hoping someone can give me a definitive answer because I don’t fucking like and it looks really stupid (yeah, I know it’s probably actually helping me idc it’s dumb).

Specs/setup:
~-8 degrees negative camber
Yup, it's your high caster. A lot of people still go around telling people that negative camber reduces the positive camber gain at lock. While this is true, it's not any kind of linear relationship, so the "advantage" of lots of negative camber is usually outweighed by the reduction of turn in grip and straight line braking.

Reduce your caster and your front end lift will be reduced as well.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 AM   #7670
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

Reduce your caster and your front end lift will be reduced as well.
Second this^
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #7671
xaaronx
Leaky Injector

Cool I’ll put it at factory or a little over next season and see how I like it with the current setup. Thanks, guys.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #7672
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaaronx View Post
Cool I’ll put it at factory or a little over next season and see how I like it with the current setup. Thanks, guys.
Might consider going less than stock if it bothers you that much. Stock is ~7* IIRC. Try ~5*
Also remember that the car will squat in the rear when you're on throttle depending on your rear spring rate.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #7673
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Yeah, it's called "jacking" and comes from the caster angle.

240SX's have way more caster than most other cars, so it's not really necessary to go higher than the factory spec.

derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #7674
xaaronx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Might consider going less than stock if it bothers you that much. Stock is ~7* IIRC. Try ~5*
Also remember that the car will squat in the rear when you're on throttle depending on your rear spring rate.
12k so squat isn’t an issue and I def won’t be going less than stock lol.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #7675
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

https://au.gktech.com/news/s-chassis...me-comparison/

Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #7676
Speed Junkie
Leaky Injector

Speed Junkie is a well-known jackass
Quote:
I read this yesterday. Really good read. It's hard to find articles with reliable, accurate, technical information in the 240 community so this is awesome.
Speed Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #7677
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Please help/need input. Set up is pbm cut knuckles with pbm bent style lca. I have a street faction sheet metal sub frame. running the rack in the Farthest Position forward which I believe is about 1" further forward than factory also running the lower control arm mount At the higher pick up point. Not shore if the lower one would be better? Lca seams pretty Parallel with the ground, the tie rods Seem pretty parallel to the ground as well. My question is I just got new otr the kind that have the spacers for bump steer. Should I take more out is this to much with cut knuckles? Car is on scale stands in pic. Greatly appreciate any help/input

[IMG]URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/LoN3pc/media/20190119_130450_zpsfhdmptb4.jpg.html]
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM   #7678
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Photobucket is a thing of the past. use imgur.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #7679
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #7680
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

[IMG]Pbm https://imgur.com/gallery/FHhSBIr[/IMG]