Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
azsr20det is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy wheel lock socket doesnt fit in the lug holes

So I got some new wheels for my 240sx a while back for regular street drivin / crusin. (Actually was going to sell the car and figured it would move quicker if I stanced it out for all the trendy stance kids with mommy daddy money) so I converted to 5 lug, redid the brakes, did dual caliper rears etc, then picked up some 18x9 +25 (Front) and 18x10.5 +20 (Rears) in silver with polished lips and then had em powder coated in candy (translucent) gold (so the lips are like polished reflective gold now looks clean af with the sonic blue pearl paint) anyways, I had picked up some new lugs too (I bought the car with these ugly ass discount tire lookin wheels that were held on with lug nuts that literally were just conical seat nuts. Like not lug nuts, think a regular ass nut that would go on a bolt, just conical seated. Wtf is right)

Anyways, I had got some extended muteki sr48 neo chrome lug and lock nuts. Well put em on and discovered oh shit, the wheel lock socket is too big to fit over the lugs in the holes on the wheel. So I decided ok ill go get some longer nuts that stick out more so I can get the socket over since they poke out further I wont need to worry about the hole size. I ordered some of those sickspeed neo chrome extra long spiked lock nuts. Well they arrived and I discovered that they a 3 piece lug design. Basically theres the lock lugs themselves, which are SUPER SHORT then a long neo chrome center that screws over those, then the spikes screw into that. Well put em on the car and was happy. Then I noticed Because I replaced the tie rod ends when doing the steering rack boots, (one tie rod got stripped because my dumbass hit it at a bad angle with a hammer trying to get it out of the knuckle) i had stupid amounts of toe out on the front. Figured id correct it as best I can till I get an alignment. Well undid the lugs and basically on each corner got all but 1/2 all the way off but those 1 or 2 that got stuck are the bottom little lock nuts and guess what

This socket doesnt fit the wheel hole either.

So now I basically gotta try and figure out how to get these off so I can either replace the lugs YET AGAIN with a long NON LOCKING set or figure out if i can make the holes wider to fit the socket without totally fucking up my wheels.

Im thinking since they only hand tightened I could get a strong thread lock, and lock the middle part of the lug to the lock and hopefully its strong enough that when i wrench it slowly the threadlock holds the middle and bottom together to get it off, or that I can get one of those "universal sockets" with the little pins inside thats small enough to fit the hole and can basically shape to the lock nuts to undo em and just keep the lugs and use that as a key instead of the actual key.

I know its a long read but before I run out and buy anything wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and how to fix it? If they werent lock nuts i could just get a thin wall socket but they are locks soooo, do i do the thread lock to get em off and then just get new nuts? Or drill out the holes so the lock socket fits? Or hope that a universal one works and I just use that and not drill the wheels or have to get another set?
azsr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
the splined lug nuts should be smaller for you to fit them after you get the current ones off...if they are hand tight had remove them maybe? of start customizing your tools and grind the edges...I wouldn't suggest drill your wheels unless you want to risk structural integrity of the wheel...I always got the locking lugs from autozone for my wheels...its the same as the ones discount sells but less expensive
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #3
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Well locktite on the lock nuts to hold the extenders on so it was long enough to carefully twist off with a normal wrench worked. Word of advice with budget rep wheels you may not be able to fit a wheel lug lock socket into the holes to get the wheels off so before you put any lugs on make sure the hole is big enough for the wheel lock :/ lesson learned. Thank god i didnt torque the lugs down or I could have potentially been fucked if the thread lock broke loose before the lug itself did but since they were only hand tight I was able to lock the 2 pieces together, let dry and them very slowly and carefully twist em off without the thread lock giving out
Old 05-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
the splined lug nuts should be smaller for you to fit them after you get the current ones off...if they are hand tight had remove them maybe? of start customizing your tools and grind the edges...I wouldn't suggest drill your wheels unless you want to risk structural integrity of the wheel...I always got the locking lugs from autozone for my wheels...its the same as the ones discount sells but less expensive
They were hand tight but too short/deep into the hole to get with my fingers and the key was too big to fit. Was able to locktite the extenders on the spline lugs wait till it dried and then slowly unscrewed them with a normal wrench. im super lucky I didnt get ahead of myself and torque em down otherwise the force to break em loose could have broken the thread lock before the lugs themselves. Im just going to get the non locking ones that are just a regular long ass lug with a spike end that uses a normal socket and sticks out far enough i can easily remove with a tire iron and just not park anywhere sketchy or for long periods of time where someone could steal the wheels stupid xxr should have made the holes bigger, no idea why they so small. Thats 2 diff sets that didnt fit the key, and its not because of the powder because the key wouldnt fit in my buddys non powdered set either
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You did loosen each one slightly first right? My lug nut key is a tight fit with the wheel on snug, but if i take two of the lug nuts off the key wont fit. I have to loosen each one about a turn at a time. Its pretty annoying but i deal with it. Might be your problem, might not. Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
azsr20det
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by staying_chuki View Post
You did loosen each one slightly first right? My lug nut key is a tight fit with the wheel on snug, but if i take two of the lug nuts off the key wont fit. I have to loosen each one about a turn at a time. Its pretty annoying but i deal with it. Might be your problem, might not. Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tried but no go, the spline socket is just too big to fit regardless. Im probably gonna get the same lugs (sickspeed neo chrome spiked lug nuts) just the 2pc non locking ones (lug and spike) instead of 3pc (normal small ass black lock nuts, then theres like a neo chrome extension that threads onto that and the spike then threads into it) when i bought the long lock ones i didnt realize they were 3pc and the lug itself was hella small because the pics showed them assembled so i wasnt aware they had a tiny ass lock that had a socket that had to fit. Before i had these nice ass muteki neo chrome ones and the socket didnt fit those either. Lame af