Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Shifter bushing - anyone use this?

Mods, I know this is an ebay link but I'm not at all affiliated with the seller; just curious about the product.

eBay Motors: CUSCO S13 S14 Collar - Shifter Lever NISMO NISSAN (item 120358497943 end time Feb-02-09 14:06:46 PST)

Metal (looks like copper) shifter bushing. I'm wondering if it would fit a B&M shifter, how it feels, and whether it would increase wear on anything. Also wondering if it's removable once it's installed, if you wanted to move it to another shift lever.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Works fine. Tanabe makes an aluminum one, same effect. You're basically reducing the play and possible wear of the plastic bushing. Fits all shifters but since it's metal it doesn't 'snap' on, it just sits in the lever and the shifter fits into it.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Hmm.. I've never seen this thing. Interesting I've meaning to fix my shifter play. RDM so say I get this would it be good to get the bushing to replace my old one or just use this one??
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
What most people don't realize is the slop isn't always caused by that bushing. It is the springs in the transmission that wear out the most. Move your shifter while in neutral to the left, and then to the right. Going to the right is tight.. Left is loose.. the springs need replacement. Buy a $2 bushing from nissan that will sit tight just like your stock one still does, and purchase the HKS shifter spring kit. Or replace shift springs with OEM springs for dirt.

-Bart
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post
What most people don't realize is the slop isn't always caused by that bushing. It is the springs in the transmission that wear out the most. Move your shifter while in neutral to the left, and then to the right. Going to the right is tight.. Left is loose.. the springs need replacement. Buy a $2 bushing from nissan that will sit tight just like your stock one still does, and purchase the HKS shifter spring kit. Or replace shift springs with OEM springs for dirt.

-Bart
care to elaborate or point to a FAQ? that doesn't sound particularly easy
Old 02-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
care to elaborate or point to a FAQ? that doesn't sound particularly easy
There are two plugs on each side of the transmission around the shifter area. Just unbolt them and change the springs out. Isn't hard.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow

From Frsport user install for HKS return spring kit.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
You can also double up on the OEM springs to make it stiffer, or perhaps pull one spring out, take it to a hobby shop that sells RC car parts, and find an RC car spring of similar size that is stiffer.

Easy shit.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
zugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long are the springs? Doesnt look too long and i assume you can replace the springs while tranny is still on car?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I have the Cusco bushing too.
Works fine.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugoi View Post
How long are the springs? Doesnt look too long and i assume you can replace the springs while tranny is still on car?
Not sure exactly how long they are, but yes, you can replace them with the tranny mounted on the car.
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise View Post

-Bart
Really? I have a B&M shifter with a shifter collar and it has almost no play. It feels sex. Although mine's made of delrin, it's the same sort of stuff. When I first installed my B&M, to me, it felt like the same as stock except shorter throws. When I put in my collar, it felt as tight as everybody said..
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
Hmm.. I've never seen this thing. Interesting I've meaning to fix my shifter play. RDM so say I get this would it be good to get the bushing to replace my old one or just use this one??
There's only one bushing. Either you replace with the OE plastic or use an aftermarket metal one.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
There's only one bushing. Either you replace with the OE plastic or use an aftermarket metal one.
Actually, there are two.. the shifter collar and the one I have in mine circled in red

The stock one is a flimsy paper-thin circle of metal. The one I have is 2mm thick. Although if you have a B&M shifter, it eliminates this part
Old 02-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
Actually, there are two.. the shifter collar and the one I have in mine circled in red

The stock one is a flimsy paper-thin circle of metal. The one I have is 2mm thick. Although if you have a B&M shifter, it eliminates this part
That's NOT a bushing, that's a spring washer to hold tension on the upper pivot bushing. Oftentimes that can also cause slop in the shifter if it is worn/missing.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Well.. whatever it is, it causes slop. Thanks for the headsup!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any information on how to replace the oem shifter bushing? does the n w one just snap on or are there any tricks to this?
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote