Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
s14 Chase Bays / Setrab Power Steering Oil Cooler Installation Pics

Hey Everybody, just finished tidying up some loose ends with this installation. I took a few pics to share with yalls. So, basically, I installed the Chase Bays Power Steering line kit with the Setrab Oil Cooler add-on option. There weren't many pics of the oil cooler installed on any cars, and Chase Bays doesn't include any diagrams, mounting hardware, or anything -- they just say that it will fit underneath the headlight. But where specifically, right?

Anyways, here is what worked for me (plus some lil extra notes). This is on my S14 by the way. Also, as a tiny note, the bumper fits super snug with this installation method. If you're a perfectionist, you might get annoyed by the tiny gab that this creates between the bumper and driver's-side headlight (because the cooler kind of pushes the bumper down a tiny bit).

^ With the front bumper removed, here's what it looks like. This is using the JDM bumper support by the way, not the USDM one with the chunky crash bar. There's a custom-made L-bracket on the right, and I drilled 2 holes onto the bumper support for the mounting on the left (no extra brackets needed).

^ Here's a better view of the bracket.

^ FYI, the lines route from inside the engine bay, out the hole on the chassis for the stock intake piping (or where front mount intercooler piping would go), and then to the oil cooler.

Some other smaller notes below ...

^ This used to connect to what I assume was some sort of pressure sensor on the OEM power steering line. Now, it doesn't go anywhere, so just gotta loop it up and zip-tie it out of the way, I guess.

^ Chase Bays supplies this bracket to mount their fluid reservoir in roughly the stock location. On S14, it's actually a little bit too high, and the "big line" to the power steering pump gets kind of a nasty kink in it. So, I drilled one extra hole to lower the reservoir position just a little bit so the line could attach to the pump without hard bends.

^ As you can see, I'm using a combination of the OEM power steering pump fitting and the parts that Chase Bays supplied to me. Yes, it looks different from the picture on their website. But, with the parts that came with the kit, this is the only way that made sense, on my car at least. I'm pretty sure this can be cleaned up a bunch by buying a different banjo bolt fitting.

^ Here's how the fittings at the steering rack look. After the initial installation, I had a tiny leak here, and it was a pain to tighten up one of the fittings while the other one was in place.

All-in-all, the installation was not so enjoyable, but I believe in turning repairs into upgrades, so this is what we end up with. Hopefully, it holds together for a good long time.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Looks good man, is this just for cooling? What’s the need for the cooler? Just asking
Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Looks good man, is this just for cooling? What’s the need for the cooler? Just asking
My factory hard-line that they call the oem "power steering cooler" got a couple of tiny leaks in it. And that part is so dumb man, it's like just a regular hard line with a loop in it, and it costs a few hundred bucks. Also, I guess technically it's prone to leakage over time, and it's in an annoying spot.

With the OEM setup, if I do a drift event or some sorta gymkhana type of thing with a lot of fast lock-to-lock turning, especially in the summer, I boil over my power steering fluid. Not a ton, but enough that I gotta wipe it down after a hard session. So, I guess technically, this cooler add-on should prevent that.

The alternative was to get the Chase Bays kit without any cooling (so basically, it's the kit with shorter lines, I think). But then technically, that would be even less cooling than stock, I think. I think it deletes the oem cooling hardline.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote