Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #121
wannabe-silvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
wannabe-silvia is making his/her stupidity well-knownwannabe-silvia is making his/her stupidity well-knownwannabe-silvia is making his/her stupidity well-knownwannabe-silvia is making his/her stupidity well-knownwannabe-silvia is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wow guy amzing build, where u go to school and learn all this shit form??
wannabe-silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #122
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ctnewman
i'm a mechanical engineer.

I went to University at buffalo (though all my cad was learned on my own/at work...)
ctnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #123
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
m.e. in the making WVU right here
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #124
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

ctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of lightctnewman is a glorious beacon of light
So i took the patterns i made, cut them out, wrapped them around the pipe (1 1/2 sch 10 304SS) took them to a bandsaw, then a massive belt sander, tacked them all together with a mig (309SS wire) and here is the result. I also drilled and tapped my 1/2 T3 Flange (will be studded)

Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 PM   #125
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Nice clean merge. Is it just me or does the flange looks bent on the first picture?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #126
projekt_s13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
projekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfectionprojekt_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to projekt_s13
wow nice, wish i could weld

projekt_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #127
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89
Nice clean merge. Is it just me or does the flange looks bent on the first picture?

it's warped about 1/32, i don't know why it looks so bowed, But, i made it out of 1/2 304SS, so i can just mill it flat once it's all welded.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #128
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
Awesome build dude, I found a few pics from a shops Z32 RB26 build.

^^ Hope these help in your manifold making.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #129
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

^^, thanks, i think mine is more or less set. Nice clutch on that. I had a exedy triple plate for my last R32 RB, but never installed it then sold the whole thing. wish i hadn't, sold a brand new 1300 dollar clutch for 400 bucks.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #130
fromxtor
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
fromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfectionfromxtor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fromxtor Send a message via Yahoo to fromxtor
I mainly posted those pics becuase I didnt see a wastegate port on yours. Looks awesome keep on keepin on.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #131
swiin2

swiin2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchral
m.e. in the making WVU right here
yeah me too
swiin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #132
drifts135
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
drifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifts135 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drifts135
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromxtor
Hey! It's the infamous Brian W. !
drifts135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #133
jobestudios
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
jobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the roughjobestudios is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
damn dude, I did 4 years of cad/cam design with cnc machining in high school, but I've never seen any private party do something this awesome. Good work man!
jobestudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #134
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

valentine's and a few other things slowed me up...

Here is what i did tonight:

Old 02-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #135
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
That manifold is pretty donkin!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #136
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89
That manifold is pretty donkin!

is that a compliment?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #137
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

yea i meant it in a good way.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #138
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
fuckin eh. nice work man keep the eye candy coming!!!! h ha looks dope!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #139
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromxtor
Awesome build dude, I found a few pics from a shops Z32 RB26 build.

^^ Hope these help in your manifold making.
Won't that manifold boost creep? It doesn't look like it promotes easy gas flow to the wastegate.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #140
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo
Won't that manifold boost creep? It doesn't look like it promotes easy gas flow to the wastegate.
It isn't bad, really, most of the time the WG is mounted perpendicular to the collector center plane, they have done this, but in 2 locations. In fact, I am willing to bet it does not boost creep at all...

This picture shows it a little better...

I may have boost creep at lower boost levels... I plan on running a 38MM WG, but i am running 20 psi... I may use a larger pipe and neck it down so that in case it creeps, I can purchase a 44mm and just weld on a new flange...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #141
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

mmm, sexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66impalass View Post
That looks huge, what are the external dimensions high point to high point, front back side to side
about 24 X 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
hwo do you plan to doo all the finsh welds?
weld what's visible, cut runners off the collector and flange. weld runners on bench. weld pipes back on. All whilst backpurging with argon.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #142
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
man that looks nice bro. keep up the good work!

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM   #143
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
Holy shit, that thing is art.

1989 S13 | 1996 S14 | 2001 E46 | 2009 ZX6R
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #144
Reos77

Reos77 is on a distinguished road
Are you planning to tig weld those pipes? From the pic it looks like you tacked it all with a mig. There is also product named por 15 used to fix rust. It is a little expensive but many car builders recommend it. I don't know if you answerd this question already, but are you going to weld in those patch panels or just leave them tacked in? I suggest that you use some weld through primer for corrosion protection on the bare metal. I think the project looks great, keep up the good work.
Reos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #145
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reos77
Are you planning to tig weld those pipes? From the pic it looks like you tacked it all with a mig. There is also product named por 15 used to fix rust. It is a little expensive but many car builders recommend it. I don't know if you answerd this question already, but are you going to weld in those patch panels or just leave them tacked in? I suggest that you use some weld through primer for corrosion protection on the bare metal. I think the project looks great, keep up the good work.
Pipes will be tig welded. You can see that the collector already has been.

I used a comparable product to por15, there are a few pics of it about a page back.

I am only leaving the panels tacked in, because the car is getting a 10+ point cage that ties to the main frame in 6 locations and to all 4 strut towers. I will seam fill them to prevent any water intrusion.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #146
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Damn that is some awesome work, you should have a side job custom fabbing parts.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #147
ctnewman
Zilvia Junkie

put the tranny back in and test fit the exhaust. Fit perfectly.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #148
sliEighty
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
sliEighty is making a name for him/her selfsliEighty is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sliEighty
just spent 30 min of my time looking at this thread thanks man haha looks sick
sliEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #149
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I've been lurking on this thread for weeks. Uber cool man, love the idea and the work.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:10 AM   #150
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Is that a turbo that helps prevent surge?

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote