Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #511
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
[QUOTE=Def;5787554]Easy there, killer. I was commenting on this post, but must have hit reply instead of quote:

My bad man... should have known better.... Owe you a beer
Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #512
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdiversion View Post
I'll help out with a visual reference.
Here is my setup.

Is that a check valve or is that a filter? I assume would be better for the environment and your cat if there was a catch can there instead of check valve (guess)? But overall this is the best setup.

But I remembered during a dyno run that I could see the tubes being compressed so there is massive suction from the original design, just need to upgrade to steel braided.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #513
quickdiversion
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
quickdiversion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have not seen an tubing being sucked closed, but I ran stainless steal to the check valve and valve cover.

Haha, yeah it is a one-way check valve.

I have not had any problems with this setup and, Not saying I gained power from it, but It defiantly feels like it revs up faster.
quickdiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #514
dreimers
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
dreimers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What was used to attach the 90 degree fitting to the Greddy filter on page 11? How is it attached?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #515
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreimers View Post
What was used to attach the 90 degree fitting to the Greddy filter on page 11? How is it attached?
Most likely a bulkhead fitting.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #516
Fatboy1Eight0

Trader Rating: (0)
Fatboy1Eight0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been following this thread for a little while now and have two questions:

1) Has anyone who has completed the mod (Slider2828 and Blu808 came up with) noticed any issues in regards to tuning?
Reason I ask is: I shared this with my workshop and they have said not to do it due to the increased chance of detonation.

2) With the mod (Slider2828 and Blue808 did), is there anything needed to be done to the PCV (check valve) on the intake manifold side?

Thanks for any response!
Fatboy1Eight0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #517
slider2828
Post Whore!

Did they explain why there was chance of increase detonation?

Nothing needs to be done on intake side. Its stock.....
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #518
Fatboy1Eight0

Fatboy1Eight0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nothing specific. Just an increased chance.
I'll check and find out.

My SR is forged and on high boost there is quite a bit of blow-by. Catching it is one thing (we have all been there), but I like the idea of trying to minimise this as much as possible.

The workshop answer has been to vent to atmosphere - however aside from that not being legal, it doesn't solve the issue of the oil accumulating. Putting the vent outside of the engine bay may also reduce the oily film in the bay - but once again the issue isn't solved.

So the latter part of this thread looks at dumping into the exhaust - is this a Version 2 of the original mod??

Or is it still best to tap the rocker and then plumb into the intake after the AFM?
With the stock rocker cover connection directed to the crankecase?
Fatboy1Eight0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #519
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im looking for a one way valve that can be used as a pcv valve, one that wont leak under pressure like most oem ones.. I was told in another thread that earls make some good ones. This is what I found: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-251006erl
It's very similar to the one on that sr with the ls coils, only difference being probably just the brand. My question is, notice how it says that it is meant for fluids? Do they work properly with air flow? Have any of you used this kind of valve? Im afraid of buying it only to find out that it wont close because there's no fluid or enough air force to activate it. I tried looking for one that is meant for fumes or gases and couldn't find anything except for some huge ones meant for domestic v8...
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #520
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Did they explain why there was chance of increase detonation?

Nothing needs to be done on intake side. Its stock.....
Oil vapor tends to lower octane ratings. Of course this is in large quantities and if you have a healthy SR, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I still have a catch can even though the vacuum source is exhaust velocity passing through a Venturi.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #521
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy1Eight0 View Post
Nothing specific. Just an increased chance.
I'll check and find out.

My SR is forged and on high boost there is quite a bit of blow-by. Catching it is one thing (we have all been there), but I like the idea of trying to minimise this as much as possible.

The workshop answer has been to vent to atmosphere - however aside from that not being legal, it doesn't solve the issue of the oil accumulating. Putting the vent outside of the engine bay may also reduce the oily film in the bay - but once again the issue isn't solved.

So the latter part of this thread looks at dumping into the exhaust - is this a Version 2 of the original mod??

Or is it still best to tap the rocker and then plumb into the intake after the AFM?
With the stock rocker cover connection directed to the crankecase?
If there were a V2. This is how I would do it.

Crank Case Vent ---> Valve Cover ---> Catch Can ---> to Exhaust like JRSS Said.

Overall never had a problem with the V1 setup and for most circumstances your tuner will be able to see it during the tune.

I track my car and people have done it who race in the drift seriesin the bay area....
Old 02-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #522
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Mile High Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
This is one of the best sr20 threads on the forum. Thanks for all the information from everyone that contributed! I'm going to have a buddy of mine weld something similar but using an aluminum oil cap and some fittings. Going to weld a -10an 90 to a oil cap and run that to the catch can. I need to check and make sure fitment won't be an issue.

I've been having issues with filling up my catch can quickly. Oil would get sucked into
The turbo and spit out my tial q bov all over the bay. Then the oil would drip, hit the exhaust and everyone knows burnt oil smells amazing and does wonders for headaches. lol.
Mile High Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #523
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have blowby , your pistons and rings are gone. Time to get rebuild.. The stock catchcan is pretty good.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #524
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Mile High Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you not read the thread?
Mile High Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #525
slider2828
Post Whore!

I am glad this old thread is still helping people. Its a good alternative to get a s13.4 valve cover.... Truthfully speaking S13.4 covers would be the best setup, but not everyone has the money or the time.....

Please PM if you guys ever have any questions
Old 02-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #526
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I still am not a huge fan of the exhaust 'dump' persay, just makes things too complicated when the stock setup works.

In my situation, I keep the PCV valve stock (on the passenger side) and then run the rear block vent to the OEM oil/air seperator (just a baffled box), from that to the valve cover t, from the other side of the t to a catch can, and then back to the turbo inlet.

To date, I still don't get any measurable amounts of oil in my catch can, ever.

bad pic, messy bay, whatever lol

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #527
slider2828
Post Whore!

Its cause you still have the OEM air/oil separator (black box), but looks like you ditched the stock reducer there too....

It also depends on the track you run... too... I think street wise it will work fine, but if doing tracks with a lot of elevation changes like Northern Cali, then might not work....
Old 02-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #528
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
My setup is like codyace. I too have nothing at all in my catchcan. I did not have stock catch can. I am thinking of eliminating the catch can since I don't have any blowby issue after engine rebuild.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #529
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
I always try to separate the crankcase gasses from the intake tract as much as possible. Sure, you may not have oil in your catch can, but what about your intake manifold? This becomes a bigger issue the more power you make.

Running all crankcase vents to a baffled catch can, and then to the intake or exhaust eliminates the chance of oil vapor getting into the combustion chambers. The exhaust offers a bit more velocity to use with a venturi, but the intake is definitely cleaner for the environment (not that 99% of you care, but yeah haha).

Anyway, good info in this thread. This kind of thing is too often overlooked.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #530
g_mac530
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
g_mac530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g_mac530
I have a catch can with a filter on it. So, should I even bother routing it into the intake if its already open to the atmosphere?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
g_mac530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #531
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes because you want the vacuum source from the intake to pull vacuum to the crank case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #532
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
A vacuum assisted catch can is more effective than one that is not.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #533
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Its cause you still have the OEM air/oil separator (black box), but looks like you ditched the stock reducer there too....

It also depends on the track you run... too... I think street wise it will work fine, but if doing tracks with a lot of elevation changes like Northern Cali, then might not work....
Yea I got rid of the little reducer deal, but I also modded the greddy can with a catch baffle in it

And yea Watkins Glen, Palmer, LimeRock, Monticello, VIR (smaller), Summit...all have some pretty pronounced elevation changes overall and in big hills. (but then agian we also have Pocono and NJMP and NHIS wich are like flat tracks haha)

Unsure if it was because the engine was newly rebuilt rings/machine work? But it really seems ti work well the way it's setup

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #534
slider2828
Post Whore!

Yeah hilly California is a little rougher, the tracks I get issue on has a steeper and more abrupt drop than Laguna Seca. Believe it or not, Laguna doesn't give me issues more than this thunderhill track.

Yeah definitely baffling helps too!

-Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Yea I got rid of the little reducer deal, but I also modded the greddy can with a catch baffle in it

And yea Watkins Glen, Palmer, LimeRock, Monticello, VIR (smaller), Summit...all have some pretty pronounced elevation changes overall and in big hills. (but then agian we also have Pocono and NJMP and NHIS wich are like flat tracks haha)

Unsure if it was because the engine was newly rebuilt rings/machine work? But it really seems ti work well the way it's setup
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #535
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is the S14 PCV system any different other then the internal baffleing in the VC? I guess the only difference is that instead of the external T, it goes from the back of the VC to the front on the turbo side?

Mine then goes from there to a catch can then to the turbo inlet. I guess I don't have to touch that. What about the PCV side? Does that have a tendency to suck up oil?

I know on my SRT4 (I'm very familiar with the thread posted in the OP) the vast majority of the oil is sucked up from the PCV to the intake manifold and that's where most are running catch cans.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #536
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYpT3m-OV8

big goss knows whats up
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #537
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

Even though he probably got that for free and fails to mention it. It is a good explanation even if he doesn't go into why it's worse on a DI engine.

The New VWs are horrible about spraying oil into their intakes.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #538
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
The New VWs are horrible about spraying oil into their intakes.
as opposed to old VWs? its all junk!

its the one car make I will absolutely never, ever own. VW = junk cars
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #539
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
as opposed to old VWs? its all junk!

its the one car make I will absolutely never, ever own. VW = junk cars
German cars in general are the worst. Literally boggles my mind every time I work on one...

Thats a great video, but there should be one with more information and proof of concept.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #540
slider2828
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Is the S14 PCV system any different other then the internal baffleing in the VC? I guess the only difference is that instead of the external T, it goes from the back of the VC to the front on the turbo side?

Mine then goes from there to a catch can then to the turbo inlet. I guess I don't have to touch that. What about the PCV side? Does that have a tendency to suck up oil?

I know on my SRT4 (I'm very familiar with the thread posted in the OP) the vast majority of the oil is sucked up from the PCV to the intake manifold and that's where most are running catch cans.
I haven't had any oil in my pcv... I inspect it regularly and don't get much of anything there....