Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Blue55

Trader Rating: (0)
Blue55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Cadillac CTS-V brake upgrade

I'm working on a 4 piston CTS-V brake upgrade on my S13. I'm swapping out the master cylinder for a Z32 one. Is there any way of getting the fitting out of the old master cylinder without destroying it? Seems like a ton of delicate work.

Here's an article on getting the old fitting out
http://importnut.net/the-definitive-...cylinder-swap/

FYI - I'm doing a video on the swap and I'll post it later when it's done.
Blue55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Who cares about destroying your old s13 BMC
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
alwaysnboost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
alwaysnboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True ^^^^^^^^^^^
alwaysnboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
cespana
Leaky Injector

cespana is an unknown quantity at this point
Do it...nobody is buying S13 oem master cylinder.
cespana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawgarage View Post
Who cares about destroying your old s13 BMC
It's not cost, it's just a pain in the butt is all!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Blue55

I just made a very detailed video of the install process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH20d_pfz6s

Last edited by Blue55; 03-17-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Old 04-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
ph1tnessjunk1e

ph1tnessjunk1e is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw that video a few days ago and it's awesome What do you do for the rear brakes though?
ph1tnessjunk1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph1tnessjunk1e View Post
I saw that video a few days ago and it's awesome What do you do for the rear brakes though?
I'm going to do the z32 rear brakes but that's a whole separate project.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
bjreynolds202

bjreynolds202 is a well-known jackass
How is the braking with the cts v up front and stock rears? Saw the video a few days ago, nice to see you on here too!
bjreynolds202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjreynolds202 View Post
How is the braking with the cts v up front and stock rears? Saw the video a few days ago, nice to see you on here too!
The car has been sitting on jackstands for too long since I've been traveling. I had a leaking hard line into the master cylinder so hopefully I've fixed that now.

My plan with any luck is to get to a track day this weekend and properly test it out. There will definitely be a video!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Mine is 100% front brake bias with stock rears... which is great because my rears are almost seized (hypothetically) i would like to keep my stock rears, and some how hydraulic pressurized them so I can utilize my stock ebrake while doing a dual caliper bracket with wilwoods calipers to help bias with proportional valve....
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #12
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzsteveo View Post
I would like to keep my stock rears, and some how hydraulic pressurized them so I can utilize my stock ebrake while doing a dual caliper bracket with wilwoods calipers to help bias with proportional valve....
I may add a proportioning valve after I test it at the track this weekend.

Here's the second part of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTiXeA2158Y
Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
you installed left and right side backwords, unless you bought two left sides. other wise you wouldn't have had to swap the brake line/bleeders over.

good video though.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
you installed left and right side backwords, unless you bought two left sides. other wise you wouldn't have had to swap the brake line/bleeders over.

good video though.
They were not installed backwards. The brake line is at the top of the caliper, not the side.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Aren't those calipers heavy?

Not sure why people are paying top dollar for those when Wilwood 4 piston calipers are lighter, and cheaper. . . ? Is unsprung weight still not a thing?
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
They were not installed backwards. The brake line is at the top of the caliper, not the side.
He means that the bleeder screw faces upward and the cross over tube is on the bottom of the caliper. You either got 2 of the same side or installed them on the wrong side.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
bjreynolds202

bjreynolds202 is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Aren't those calipers heavy?

Not sure why people are paying top dollar for those when Wilwood 4 piston calipers are lighter, and cheaper. . . ? Is unsprung weight still not a thing?
Do you have the weights or weight difference between a front wilwood setup vs stock front? Ive been looking but I can't find definitive weights for either the wilwoods or cts - v setup.

cts-v swap can be found for close to 800 dollars, willwood is a bit over 1k, that $200 would totally be worth it if they are significantly lighter than the cts-v's...

My guess is that the advantage in weight is wilwoods 2-piece rotor vs the cts-v rotors being monstrous.
bjreynolds202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #18
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
The Wilwood Superlites I run are 4 pistons and weight less than 5lbs each. They're a good deal at less than $180 per caliper. I use a bracket that allows to run a 350z brake rotor, so it's a very simple upgrade. Very cost effective, and weights virtually nothing compared to the stock caliper. According to Google, the CTS-V caliper weights 8 lbs.

I upgraded to Wilwood years ago, can't remember exact cost, but it was less than $450 in all of it.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
I'm also running a 4 piston Wilwood Superlite setup. I had thought about running a bastard CTS-V/350z setup, but the extra few bucks I spent was well worth it. Wilwoods are much lighter and have huge pads plus I got 2pc 13in rotors which are super light. My setup is from Arizona ZCar and was around $1k

Old 05-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Track Proven on Facebook has the adapter brackets to put the wilwood calipers on the S and Z chassis and are very affordable! Couple that with one piece 350Z rotors and it's super cheap.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #21
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Track Proven on Facebook has the adapter brackets to put the wilwood calipers on the S and Z chassis and are very affordable! Couple that with one piece 350Z rotors and it's super cheap.
Do you know if they offer any solutions for the rear? Really wanting to swap some 6pots up front and move my 4pots to the rear.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #22
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Do you know if they offer any solutions for the rear? Really wanting to swap some 6pots up front and move my 4pots to the rear.
I've been trying to talk Andy, the owner, in to designing a rear set up based on the Z32 rear rotor. Nothing so far though
Old 05-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I've been trying to talk Andy, the owner, in to designing a rear set up based on the Z32 rear rotor. Nothing so far though
Might shoot him an email, show some more interest and see if he bites.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #24
alwaysnboost
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
alwaysnboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Love my wilwoods wouldn't trade them for anything
alwaysnboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #25
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Might shoot him an email, show some more interest and see if he bites.
Last I checked, he just needed a rear 5 lug hub, as I already have a rear knuckle I could loan him for mock up. He no longer owns an S chassis and does all mock up on his work bench.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #26
Blue55

Quote:
=onehundredoctane]

Not sure why people are paying top dollar for those when Wilwood 4 piston calipers are lighter, and cheaper.
I found a set of caliper for $250. Significantly cheaper than the $360 you spent.

Anyway, there are several good solutions. I'm glad Wilwood works well for you.

Last edited by Blue55; 05-09-2017 at 10:10 AM..
Old 05-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #27
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I found a set of caliper for $250. Significantly cheaper than the $360 you spent.

Anyway, there are several good solutions. I'm glad Wilwood works well for you.
You paid $250 for used calipers?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Didn't think Andy was still doing stuff for the S-chassis. I thought the F40 brackets were the last ones.
crash n' burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
For the track, those CTSV calipers like to eat/destroy the (rubber) dust seals.........like every other OEM Brembo.

The Wilwood (superlites) come with SS pistons and no dust shields/rubber boots which have to be rebuilt after a few trackdays (and the red brembos like to discolor after a few heat cycles).

That and pads for the Wilwoods are 1/2 the price of a comparable Brembo.
CTSV calipers are (were) stupid cheap and the cost came out close if I went either with the CTSV or Andys setup (I ran Andy's setup for a few years). Also, Wilwood has a multitude of piston sizes to really tune brake balance. You are stuck with what the CTSV provides for standard sizing

But I do like the fact that the CTSV caliper is pretty and rotor coverage. Running Andy's brackets leave about .15" of rotor uncovered by the c
caliper/pad.

I also did a full weight comparison between the 300ZX AL and Wilwood with standard Brembo 1 piece, Andy's bracket and Wilwood superlite 1.75 and the weight was a few lbs lighther than a 300zx AL setup. So I assume even lighter yet than the comparable CTSV setup. I will have to dig up my full spreadsheet and comparison (posted elsewhere on the net with associated pictures). Standard Brembo rotor is 20.5lbs a piece. A Z1 2 piece setup is about 5-6 lbs lighter yet.

Just my 0.02c.........

I

Last edited by RalliartRsX; 05-09-2017 at 10:14 AM..
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #30
Blue55

Quote:
You paid $250 for used calipers?
I paid $250 for a pair of brand new calipers on Amazon. There are sometimes very good deals to be had. Currently they run $300 for the pair.