Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
bjreynolds202

Trader Rating: (0)
bjreynolds202 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue55, I noticed you put up a video on the track with the CTS V calipers and stock rears. How was that experience? Any issues with locking up the fronts too much? How was the balance, fade, modulation, etc?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #32
Blue55

Blue55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjreynolds202 View Post
Blue55, I noticed you put up a video on the track with the CTS V calipers and stock rears. How was that experience? Any issues with locking up the fronts too much? How was the balance, fade, modulation, etc?
It was very close to what I expected. CTS-V fronts, stock rears. So massive front bias. The setup is fairly easy to modulate, but it's not hard to lock up the fronts. I am deliberately building it out in steps so I can work out the kinks at each step.

I'll install Z32 rears next and most likely I'll install a brake proportioning last since I anticipate those brakes will shift the bias too much to the back.

Zero fade, but I'm not getting maximum braking potential right now as the rears are just along for the ride. So no fade, easy to modulate, heavy front bias, pretty good feel.
Blue55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #33
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Big advantage of the Wilwoods is the pad size. Wilwoods use a 120mmx61mm pad whereas the CTSV uses a 110mmx54mm pad. The design of the Wilwood pad also fully contacts the rotor, whereas the Brembo pad tapers off at the edges making the contact patch even smaller.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #34
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post

I'll install Z32 rears next and most likely I'll install a brake proportioning last since I anticipate those brakes will shift the bias too much to the back.

Zero fade, but I'm not getting maximum braking potential right now as the rears are just along for the ride. So no fade, easy to modulate, heavy front bias, pretty good feel.
1) The rears tend to not do much work to begin with on these vehicles. The stock bias is 65-68/35-32 (or something like that). With the CTSV front/stock rears you are sitting somewhere in the 75-77/25-23 range currently

2) I would advise against a proportioning valve and tune balance via brake pads. I ran DTC 60/70s front and DTC 30/Hawk blue rear depending on bite or tire compound.

3) With Wilwood 1.75 F (4 piston) and 300ZX rears, the bias was very very close to stock. Your rear 300ZX brakes will NOT move the bias so far to the rear to necessitate a proportioning valve.

Do the math if you would like to confirm for yourself

Goodluck!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
1) The rears tend to not do much work to begin with on these vehicles. The stock bias is 65-68/35-32 (or something like that). With the CTSV front/stock rears you are sitting somewhere in the 75-77/25-23 range currently

2) I would advise against a proportioning valve and tune balance via brake pads. I ran DTC 60/70s front and DTC 30/Hawk blue rear depending on bite or tire compound.

3) With Wilwood 1.75 F (4 piston) and 300ZX rears, the bias was very very close to stock. Your rear 300ZX brakes will NOT move the bias so far to the rear to necessitate a proportioning valve.

Do the math if you would like to confirm for yourself

Goodluck!
That's great input Ralliart! My plan has always been to do the brakes step by step and test after each piece has been complete.

How do you calculate bias? TCE Performance has a calculator, but, I don't know how to get a pad's Cf value.
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator/
Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #36
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
the Brembo pad tapers off at the edges making the contact patch even smaller.
Actually that's wrong. The pads have 100% contact with the rotors in my setup.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n' burn View Post
Didn't think Andy was still doing stuff for the S-chassis. I thought the F40 brackets were the last ones.
Andy is still making them, I think he makes large batches at a time, so multiple orders help justify him making them I'm sure.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #38
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Link?.........
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #39
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Link?.........
https://www.facebook.com/TrackProven/
Old 12-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #40
smmsak
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
smmsak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hey guys sorry to thread jack but imnlooking into either of these calipers. For those of you thatbhave the wilwood superlites, is there a part nimber for them or are they universal and you just buy the mounting bracket? I see they are cheaper than the ctsv right now but not sure how many models of superlites they would have? Any help wpuld be great!! Thanks
smmsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #41
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Can we have a separate sticky/discussion for brake setup only? Like the roll center thread but for brakes only.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #42
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmsak View Post
Hey guys sorry to thread jack but imnlooking into either of these calipers. For those of you thatbhave the wilwood superlites, is there a part nimber for them or are they universal and you just buy the mounting bracket? I see they are cheaper than the ctsv right now but not sure how many models of superlites they would have? Any help wpuld be great!! Thanks
I have a set of the Track Proven adapter brackets, part number for the calipers is 120-11130, they should be the 1.38" piston for 1.25" rotor.

Summit Racing shows them for $165.22 each, and these weight under 8-11 lbs

Rotors to use with these are Z33 track rotors, each source from anywhere.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #43
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
koukimonst3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Anyone have info on how to make the ctsv 4 pot rears work? Currently have z32 rears, TIA.

ig : koukimonst3r
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #44
Blue55

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonst3r View Post
Anyone have info on how to make the ctsv 4 pot rears work? Currently have z32 rears, TIA.
Z32 is pretty ideal for the rears. CTSV 4 piston in the rear will be WAY too much rear brake bias. These are very light cars. The Cadillac is ~4,000lbs.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:19 PM   #45
boSted_13

boSted_13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Are there any detailed threads on s13’s/ anyone running gen 1 CTS V calipers with angle mod
I’m thinking of driftknuckles.com
boSted_13 is offline   Reply With Quote