Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
nurevem1

Trader Rating: (0)
nurevem1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 Ka24DE Cold start- Rough Idle

I have a 1997 s14 with a turboed Ka24de. When the car sits overnight or for a few hours in the cold weather (below 55 degrees) i go to start it up... starts up fine and rpms are at about 1,200rpm and after about 20 seconds-30 seconds the idle will drop. When the idle drops the car will throw the rpms from 800-1100rpm. My wideband is reading extremely lean (reading over 17). Once the car starts to get slightly warm (movement shown on coolant temp gauge) the idle smoothes out (for ex. after driving a mile down the road or reving the engine for a few minutes at about 2000rpm). If the weather is nice out (above 60 or 70) the idle problem does not exist. I have replaced the idle air control valve, dizzy cap and rotor, and plugs. I have monitored the colant temp sensor with consult 2 and the reading was showing about what the air temp was. I have cleaned the z32 MAF with MAF cleaner and have checked all piping and connections to and from the throttle body. i have tried adjusting the set screw on the IACV while the problem is happening and that did not help the issue. Anyone have ANY ideas what this could be?
nurevem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Mozoby

Trader Rating: (1)
Mozoby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
maybe try cleaning the O2 sensor?

if that was the problem im not sure it would get better when the car warms up.. but its worth a try
Mozoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
statickx991
Zilvia Member

statickx991 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is the car tuned with? reason im asking is, could be a bad cold start tune since some ecu's like my old pfc went by degrees i belive. i could be wrong tho
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
nurevem1

nurevem1 is an unknown quantity at this point
the o2 sensors are both reading and im sure would throw a code if they were out of spec.
The car is tuned with the Apexi AFC NEO. I was also thinking that the tune could be the issue but wasnt sure. maybe i should take it to the performance shop near me and see what they think
nurevem1 is offline   Reply With Quote