Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice project! Love me an SR Z32. I don't envy anyone who has to work on the VG in that bay.

Turbo manifold looks sick too!
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #32
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
Nice project! Love me an SR Z32. I don't envy anyone who has to work on the VG in that bay.

Turbo manifold looks sick too!
Thanks man! It's so nice to know I'll never have to work on a VG again once this is done. The manifold is probably one of my favorite parts, I really want to have it ceramic coated, but I don't know if I can justify covering up all of the beautiful welds...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #33
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Agreed, I would leave it as is.
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #34
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had a 91 z32 2+2. I tt swapped it, new nissan wiring harness, all deletes, rebuilt turbos, upgraded to 2nd gen 370cc rb25 injector, tuned, replaced every deal etc while engine was out. Car ran pretty great.

Ultimately sold it awaiting for it to have a random problem where the engine would have to come out again. Great choice going sr, enjoy!
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #35
95 maxima se
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
95 maxima se is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
nice build, picking up a 92 2+2 auto for 500 today, same color as yours, I would love to swap an sr20 but looks more than what I can chew lol
Old 01-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #36
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
I had a 91 z32 2+2. I tt swapped it, new nissan wiring harness, all deletes, rebuilt turbos, upgraded to 2nd gen 370cc rb25 injector, tuned, replaced every deal etc while engine was out. Car ran pretty great.

Ultimately sold it awaiting for it to have a random problem where the engine would have to come out again. Great choice going sr, enjoy!
TT's are awesome when built right, but they are awful if you don't make sure every little thing is sorted.

If this car had been a factory TT, I would have left it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 maxima se View Post
nice build, picking up a 92 2+2 auto for 500 today, same color as yours, I would love to swap an sr20 but looks more than what I can chew lol
Thanks! Its really not that bad, there will be a mount kit available soon, with a stock SR you can get a running SR-Z for quite a bit less than a proper TT swap. My build is me not being able to decide what I really want, so I am just going all out to try and make it the best it can be.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #37
95 maxima se
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post

Thanks! Its really not that bad, there will be a mount kit available soon, with a stock SR you can get a running SR-Z for quite a bit less than a proper TT swap. My build is me not being able to decide what I really want, so I am just going all out to try and make it the best it can be.
nice man! do you have more info of the kit? I wish there was a plug and play harness for it too
Old 01-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #38
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
nice man! do you have more info of the kit? I wish there was a plug and play harness for it too
Sorry I am going to be blunt so don't be offended

1) The kit in question hasn't been commissioned for production as of yet. There is another mount adapter circulating on the market currently and utilizes stock mounts (I actually have tb13's old set lol. But there is a good chance I will not be using them).

2) Wiring for all 90s Nissan is pretty much the same. Adapting a SR into a Z is fairly straight forward and you can reuse a majority of the S13 SR harness. Just takes a little time as compared to opening your wallet

Lets just say there are a few of these going together with varying levels of prep, mount ideas, turbo setups, etc etc etc
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #39
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
The mounts are not done yet, hoping to have a rough pair done when my motor is completed to test out then from there changes will be made and a final product will be available. The set that you can purchase now works, but it is a flawed design that places the weight of the engine on the motor rubber mounts in a way that will destroy them over time. With a setup like mine making 400+whp it is not a design that I would suggest relying on.

As for wiring, like RalliartRsX said, it is very simple. Converting a harness is easy, but you can purchase a new harness from wiring specialties if you wanted to that is plug and play.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #40
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Suspension is finally all torn out, the amount of spiderwebs under this thing is horrifying Need to go pickup a press so I can replace bushings then I can slap it all back in with all of the new arms.

I did pickup a Z32 subframe that was modified for an RB swap. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but its pretty damn hacked and I couldn't get it to line up in the car so I'm not sure it I'll be running it...

Didn't get much else done on the Z, but the S13 got a lot more love. My buddy spent basically the whole day stripping the interior and knocking all of the sound deadening out. Not pretty, but its way better than before.

Tossed back in what we care about and called it "done" for the time being. Already looks 10x better than it did a few weeks ago.

Finally had all of the parts for the SR so we decided to get it in the car. First issue we ran into was the throwout bearing sleeve, the DE uses a much longer sleeve than the DET. Since we put a DET clutch in the motor we needed a DET sleeve to make it all work. Thankfully there was an SR transmission in the trunk of the S13 and it had the correct sleeve we needed.

Nearly killed myself trying to get the SR into the car with my tiny hoist, but we got it after a lot of cussing and hitting shit. Glad its in and we can work to get it running now. I can't figure out what suspension is on this turd, its a fucking monster truck even with a ton of shit in the trunk and the motor in it Don't mind the crash bar, one of my other friends took some of the bolts out and I made the mistake of jumping on it

Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #41
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Its been too damn long since I'd made a real update for this, I've been busy putting this S13 together for my buddy, but I've had some time to mess with the Z and finally have some stuff worth posting.

I have picked up a hacked/boxed subframe years ago from a friends Z that had an RB swapped into it. I hung onto it because I figured I'd end up using it at some point. After trying to install it on my car, I realized it is tweaked and won't fit. Not the end of the world, I wasn't stoked about running it due to how much material had been removed anyway so I notched mine in a more proper way. Still needs to be boxed, but I wanted to make sure I cut enough out before I start adding material back to it.

I bought another SR because I wanted some extra parts off of it. I knew the motor was fucked when I picked it up, but wasn't sure to what extent. This motor had its oil pressure sensor fall out on the freeway so I was expecting the worst for the bottom end and it did not disappoint. Here is your daily dose of carnage

\

Using a spare SR block I had, I slapped an oil pan on it and bolted it up to my transmission. Since motor mounts aren't readily available for this swap, I figured having a super light bare block would make everything easier when it comes to making mounts, not to mention being able to just pull the head off will make things easier. It is hilarious how tiny the SR block looks bolted to a VG trans

With that bolted up, it was time to set it into my shell and check out how it all fits. Bolted the transmission mount up and supported the motor with a floor jack, everything clears perfectly. So much room for activities in here now, so refreshing to see vs the VG that I am used to working on. Set the extra head I have on it just for shits and giggles, got me so hyped to get this all together!

I've been running a set of 17x9 +15 FN01R-C's on this car forever. Love how they look and the fitment is spot on, but it is time to change things up. I bought a set of TE37 SAGA's late last year and wasn't sure if I'd run them or not. I tried selling them, but had no luck so I said fuck it and bought tires for them. They are 18x10.5 +15 square with a 265/35r18, it'll be a chore to make them fit, but well worth it. The finish, engraving and SAGA face design is incredible.

Finally have my fuel setup mostly finished up too. I've always hated high port SR's with top feed setups, the fuel rail sits up way too high above the intake and just looks out of place. With a set of ID1050x's and a Radium fuel rail, I can run the injectors without a hat keeping the rail nearly level with the intake manifold when installed. Paired with my Greddy manifold, its not only great looking, but functional.

Suspension stuff is coming along, slowly. I still need to buy a press to get all of the bushings out, but everything is torn apart and I have all of the new parts in hand ready to go. Also really considering selling all of the GKtech arms I have for the car, my tension rods look like hell after less than a year, most of which the car was just sitting for... I already purchased SPL tension rods to replace them, having ran a bunch of different brand arms, SPL cannot be touched in terms of quality and finish. Now to decided if I spend the cash or to hold off...

Working on getting motor mounts worked out, I should have my built motor back soon and I will be able to get all of the suspension back on next weekend, shit is going to get interesting soon
Old 04-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #42
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Disappointing week over here, found some wonderfully fucked stuff that is going to set me back a bit...

Got bad news about my SR head, previous owner had been running the car incredibly lean and now there are some wonderful cracks/pitting around the plugs. Blows me away that someone would spend the money to fully build a cylinder head then have someone tune it who doesn't know what they are doing... RIP ported/polished S13 SR head

Getting my rear suspension apart went really smooth until it came to getting my axles out of my hubs. The first came with a bit of hammering, no real issue getting it free. The second though, let me fucking tell you, was basically fused inside the wheel bearing. After smashing the tip of the axle, bashing the back of the spindle and applying quite a bit of heat it finally came free, well almost free. Had to bust the angle grinder out to get the axle out, at least it was already clicking so I didn't destroy a good part.

BUT WAIT! THERE IS MORE! Was getting ready to knock out my subframe bushings when I noticed one of the LCA pickup points is completely fucked. Probably wouldn't really effect much, but I am not going to waste time replacing bushings in a subframe that isn't in good shape. It looks like the LCA has been replaced, so I can only assume the PO of the car had the LCA replaced and they left the subframe in this condition.

Soooo on a more positive note!

A local friend came to the rescue with a head for my motor. It really sucks to have to write the first off, but this one keeps me on track for the power/response I am searching for. This head was built by PortFlow in SoCal, its got Supertech dual springs/guides, +1mm Ferrea valves and a really nice port/polish. Perfect candidate to slap on the bottom end that is being built and make some nice power.

One thing I have been worried about since I bought my turbo manifold was the wastegate placement. Since I have a motor sitting in the car, I figured I'd see how it fits. Thankfully, it fits great! The wastegate fits right under the BMC and easily clears all of the brake lines. Super relieved it fits, but I am going to have to make up some kind of heat shield.

Got my rear coliovers sorted finally too, super happy I bought new/updated boots for them because the original ones were ripped into a million pieces. Not sure why, but the green and gold looks so damn good

And some random pictures I took while messing around today...

Old 04-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #43
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
I am using the same Home Depot folding table

Man, that head would have sent me straight to VE land hahahaha! Good work and keeping an eye on this
Old 04-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #44
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I am using the same Home Depot folding table

Man, that head would have sent me straight to VE land hahahaha! Good work and keeping an eye on this
Folding tables rock, I should really buy myself a tool cart so I can roll shit around though haha

Man I wish I had the budget to go VE, but I just couldn't swing it right now. Plus I already have manifolds, fuel rail, S14.5 cover etc for the DET head. This head is great though, flows on par with a P11 head so it won't disappoint.

Sent from my OnePlus 5T using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #45
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Cool beans! Love it
Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #46
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Looking good, cant wait to see more!
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #47
95 maxima se
Zilvia Member

Just picked up a ttz32 the other day, I can’t wait to see your sagas on the z. Nice build btw
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #48
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Looking good, cant wait to see more!
Thanks!
Quote:
Just picked up a ttz32 the other day, I can’t wait to see your sagas on the z. Nice build btw
Good shit, I sometimes wish I took the "easy" route and just did a TT swap. All of the custom stuff required to make this swap exactly how I want it is killing me.

Can't wait for the TE's to get fitted up, going to out my fender roller and my patience to the test for sure.

I haven't made any progress lately, been super busy helping friends with their projects and work, but I did take some of my turbo setup for ceramic coating recently. Came out awesome, should help keep engine bay temps down a good bit.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #49
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Thanks! Good shit, I sometimes wish I took the "easy" route and just did a TT swap. All of the custom stuff required to make this swap exactly how I want it is killing me.

You should see my spreadsheat lol.

But in the end you are going to appreciate this much more than a VG. The amount of bustle knuckles to remove the radiator cap, 250+ lbs off the front end and 25 miles of vacuum lines........Need I say more??
Old 04-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #50
95 maxima se
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Thanks! Good shit, I sometimes wish I took the "easy" route and just did a TT swap. All of the custom stuff required to make this swap exactly how I want it is killing me.

Can't wait for the TE's to get fitted up, going to out my fender roller and my patience to the test for sure.

I haven't made any progress lately, been super busy helping friends with their projects and work, but I did take some of my turbo setup for ceramic coating recently. Came out awesome, should help keep engine bay temps down a good bit.

Paid 2500, wasn’t starting just bought cas and ptu fired right up! How you like your Powertrix coilovers? There’s not a lot of options on z32 platform, I was thinking about stance xr1s.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #51
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Paid 2500, wasn’t starting just bought cas and ptu fired right up! How you like your Powertrix coilovers? There’s not a lot of options on z32 platform, I was thinking about stance xr1s.
All Z32's have engine electrical issues, you got pretty lucky it was the easy to replace stuff. I got stuck at work one day replacing an injector, was not fun... I'd suggest a new wiring harness if it's never been replaced, it's incredible how many issues fix themselves and how much better a car runs when the harness is replaced. New style injctors are a great investment too.

Powertrix stuff is top notch. This is the second set of their coilovers I've owned and love them. I'm also running their front upper control arms, I actually got an old revision set from CZP when I bought them and Charles over at Powertrix sent me the revised collars no questions asked free of charge. They take care of their customers and I would highly recommend any of their parts.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #52
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Welp I haven't touched the car in months now, but motivation is starting to come back with some big stuff happening.

After having to replace everything but the block, my SR is together and ready to rock! Huge shout out to Juan at Bardabe Performance for getting it back together.

Run down on the motor is:

S13 SR20DET block
WPC treated crankshaft
WPC treated Nissan OEM main and rod bearings
Nissan OEM oil pump w/ WPC treated gears
CP 86.5mm 9.0CR pistons
Manely Rods
Sianar Motorsports -10AN breather
Nissan OEM main bolts
Nissan OEM timing components
ATI super damper

180SX head ported & polished by Port Flow
Ferrea dual valve springs
Ferrea +1mm valves
Dual guides
Tomei 260 procams
Apexi head gasket
Mazworx ARP Headstuds
S13.5 valve cover w/ -10AN fittings

On top of all that good stuff, I am also changing up the turbo setup. The TD05 would have been fun, but as the motor got finalized I really decided I wanted more and just happened across a Garrett G25-550. These caught my eye when they were released, but I didn't think I'd ever get my hands on one. New manifold is getting ordered this weekend and I am moving to a 44mm wastegate to make sure I can control boost properly. Haven't seen one of these on an SR, should be fun to see what kind of power it'll make on ethanol

More parts will roll in soon, basically making sure I am hording everything I need so when it finally cools down I can slap this thing together and enjoy it without the risk of heatstroke

Last edited by tb13; 08-02-2018 at 09:58 PM..
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #53
Tearlessj
Nissanaholic!

Tearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfectionTearlessj is close to perfection
If you don't mind, could you tell me what the WPC treatment set you back? You can PM me if you don't want to say. I plan on getting my motor done as well.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #54
Kallixtos
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (61)
Kallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really niceKallixtos is just really nice
Feedback Score: 61 reviews
Ah. So that was your engine he was working on! He made our valve covers at the same time.

Man, I want to see how that turbo does.
Kallixtos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 AM   #55
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
If you don't mind, could you tell me what the WPC treatment set you back? You can PM me if you don't want to say. I plan on getting my motor done as well.
Its something more people should consider, especially when dropping the money on legit parts/machine work for a full build. I'd suggest you get ahold of someone for a quote, it's really reasonable if you do the basic stuff like I did. Shoot Bardabe a message, he deals directly with WPC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallixtos View Post
Ah. So that was your engine he was working on! He made our valve covers at the same time.

Man, I want to see how that turbo does.
Yup! I'm beyond excited to see how the turbo does, I have the smaller .72 turbine housing so I should see really great response and still be able to make mid 400whp with ease. Goal has always been to make the car capable of casual weekend competition, but also streetable with a/c. This setup all together should get me there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #56
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
dont throw away cracked head, you can get it fixed, see here

http://artsautomotive.com/publicatio...cylinder-head/
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #57
tb13
Zilvia Addict

The SR20 is back home and more parts are on order, once this hellish heat calms down a bit it'll be go time.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM   #58
tb13
Zilvia Addict

New manifold is here, so I did some mock up to see how everything fits in the engine bay. As with all Future Fabrication manifolds, Jon killed it with this beauty. With the G25-550, proper boost control was something I was worried about, I mentioned this to Jon before I ordered the manifold and he made sure it wouldn't be an issue with a massive outlet to the 44mm WG flange. Should be able to easily control boost for a 91 map.

Super happy with fitment in the engine bay, have tons of room to properly route the downpipe and dump tube and I think I may be able to run a Powertrix front strut bar.

Also couldn't resist throwing the turbo onto my actual motor, gets me so hyped to get the car together! Was kinda of worried that the turbo may look small being a T25 frame, but it looks right at home thanks to how this manifold is setup.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #59
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Sailor is a well-known jackass
If there was a doing it right thread I'd post your build thread in it. You're doing great work, plz don't stop

Ps that is one beautiful turbski
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #60
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Everything is coming along pretty awesome man! You're probably going to get yours back on the road before mine is! LOL
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote