Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Shipping a car state-state?

Looking into shipping an s13 coupe from MD to MA in the next week or so given the purchase goes through. Im not going to make the almost 9 hour drive back up, Ive already ruled that out. Im just wondering if anyone has had any experience with shipping companies and how that would work with a recently purchased car. Would I have to be there when the car is shipped out? Does the title and bill of sale have to be finalized at the time the car is put on the trailer and shipped? Does the car need to be insured to be shipped by an independent company? Looking for any answers/personal experiences with this sort of thing as I cant find any definitive answers on how this would all work. Anyone willing to walk me through the whole process and how people have done it before? Any answers would be greatly appreciated, as would any information.
Would I be better off renting a trailer (UHAUL/budget/penske/etc.) and a truck and making the drive back that way? Price isnt really a concern, I know the independent companies will charge hundreds.
Thanks
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
One piece of advice, do your homework on what company is transporting your car. You do not need to be there when the car is shipped but typically all sale related documentation must be completed prior to the pickup as most companies will not load the car up if the paperwork isnt finalized. Make sure that the shipping company has full coverage and no exceptions to coverage. What can happen if not is that the vehicles insurance company can play the "the car was not in the policy holders possession" and can try and get out of any liability if there isnt the right coverage. Some brokers require you to have insurance on the vehicle before shipping but that doesnt mean that your insurance company would be fully liable if there is a loss prior to the car being in your possession.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
...don't you know that S13s aren't turbo'd from the factory? Probably not enough power for you.

OT:

Here's what I found out using a quick Google search:

Old 09-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If price isn't a concern, just go look at it and if you want the car, rent a car trailer (u-haul) where the car is. I know people do it, but I would never buy a car without personally inspecting it, chances are you wouldn't be completely satisfied with it. Mite be better off waiting for a deal to pop up locally. I waited two years to find my current s13, that was about 9 years ago now haha good luck man
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
MightyMouse13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MightyMouse13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a positive experience with Montway Auto Transport shipping my car from Nevada to Florida. I had somebody local go inspect the car for me first, then skyped in and went through every inch of the car with the seller to give me enough peace of mind to make the purchase. The delivery guys were awesome, and actually were into drifting themselves, so when they delivered the car at 5 am we ended up hanging out talking cars for another 30 min. It cost a little bit extra, but they had different levels of insurance coverage, and I made sure to go with the highest coverage, but opted to go with the open transport vs closed since I intended to repaint and replace a good bit of the exterior anyway.

That said, for the cost, you would probably break even or even save some money + have the peace of mind of seeing the car yourself if you just rented an enclosed trailer and drove up yourself. Had the car been only 9 hours away in my case, this would've been the way I went about it.
MightyMouse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
One piece of advice, do your homework on what company is transporting your car. You do not need to be there when the car is shipped but typically all sale related documentation must be completed prior to the pickup as most companies will not load the car up if the paperwork isnt finalized. Make sure that the shipping company has full coverage and no exceptions to coverage. What can happen if not is that the vehicles insurance company can play the "the car was not in the policy holders possession" and can try and get out of any liability if there isnt the right coverage. Some brokers require you to have insurance on the vehicle before shipping but that doesnt mean that your insurance company would be fully liable if there is a loss prior to the car being in your possession.
Thanks, thats the sort of info i was looking for. In addition I hear some companies outsource, and then make it impossible to find and then claim responsibility for anything that may happen, any truth to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
...don't you know that S13s aren't turbo'd from the factory? Probably not enough power for you.

OT:

Here's what I found out using a quick Google search:

Funny how much effort you put into taking your toxicity from thread to thread.
In all seriousness all i got from google searches was pages of ads for shipping companies and a few guides that didnt answer many of the questions that I asked above. Im also looking for firsthand information about anyones experiences with this sort of thing, which I didnt find much of at all, otherwise I wouldnt have posted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
If price isn't a concern, just go look at it and if you want the car, rent a car trailer (u-haul) where the car is. I know people do it, but I would never buy a car without personally inspecting it, chances are you wouldn't be completely satisfied with it. Mite be better off waiting for a deal to pop up locally. I waited two years to find my current s13, that was about 9 years ago now haha good luck man
Ive got a round trip flight booked to BWI on tuesday to check out the car in person. Im hopeful, but im not going to jump into it if its not as straight as it looks when I get there. U-haul is a good idea though and is sort of what im leaning towards currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse13 View Post
I had a positive experience with Montway Auto Transport shipping my car from Nevada to Florida. I had somebody local go inspect the car for me first, then skyped in and went through every inch of the car with the seller to give me enough peace of mind to make the purchase. The delivery guys were awesome, and actually were into drifting themselves, so when they delivered the car at 5 am we ended up hanging out talking cars for another 30 min. It cost a little bit extra, but they had different levels of insurance coverage, and I made sure to go with the highest coverage, but opted to go with the open transport vs closed since I intended to repaint and replace a good bit of the exterior anyway.
That said, for the cost, you would probably break even or even save some money + have the peace of mind of seeing the car yourself if you just rented an enclosed trailer and drove up yourself. Had the car been only 9 hours away in my case, this would've been the way I went about it.
Thats pretty thorough lol I would never buy anything sight unseen. Ive heard some good things about Montway as well, I believe they are who eBay motors uses as a transporter which seems trustworthy enough. Ill look into enclosed trailers, all Ive been looking at so far are the simple open ones from uhaul/budget etc
Old 09-25-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
I'd hit up uship....ppl use it when buying Jim cars from me in TX.... Usually the guy who bids calls me and walks them through options
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
roninwon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
roninwon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to roninwon Send a message via Yahoo to roninwon
Just a word of caution. Uship is only a broker so they outsource to any transport company. It's always cheaper to book direct with a reliable transporter. On the east coast out there I would check with Laricks auto transport to see if they have a route going that way. I know the owners personally and they are great people with a great track record. I would say go with my company but we don't have a route that way.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninwon View Post
Just a word of caution. Uship is only a broker so they outsource to any transport company. It's always cheaper to book direct with a reliable transporter. On the east coast out there I would check with Laricks auto transport to see if they have a route going that way. I know the owners personally and they are great people with a great track record. I would say go with my company but we don't have a route that way.
Thanks for the advice I'll look into getting a quote from them. Uship seems good for getting initial quotes from different companies which is helpful but I'll go through the companies directly now
Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by d9m13n View Post
Thanks for the advice I'll look into getting a quote from them. Uship seems good for getting initial quotes from different companies which is helpful but I'll go through the companies directly now
Expect to spend 2 times more in shipping costs than paying for gas for two cars to go pick it up
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did a ten hour trip for mine. Rented a uhaul car hauler for $100 and some change, and two tanks of gas for my truck. So say $200 and a Saturday.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:03 AM   #12
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Did a ten hour trip for mine. Rented a uhaul car hauler for $100 and some change, and two tanks of gas for my truck. So say $200 and a Saturday.
OP is too lazy for that. Can't you tell by how he posted here instead of using Google? I mean, shit...I found all the info I needed to ship a car to Japan using Google. Weird.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Maryland isn't far. If you're already flying there, you should have a UHAUL truck and trailer rented on the spot just in case you decide to buy. It'll save you not only the hassle and time but also eliminates any damage or theft that can happen during the shipping process.

But you're a baller. Money doesn't concern you and you're flying down to check out a 25+ year old car when you can just FaceTime someone. Fuck spending $150 to $200 when you can spend $700 or more and risk the thing showing up looking banged up and missing half the shit on it.

Shit, I'm in MA. Rent the UHAUL and trailer, fly me down and pay me $45 an hour. I'll drive that bitch up.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #14
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Animal Style and my team shipped our cars to Chicago for FinalBout 2 using a broker.

It was a horrible experience. The driver tried to extradite us for more money to get our cars home, and ultimately left us high and dry.

Luckily, the shipping broker we dealt with was able to lock us down for a return trip.

However, upon talking to people who consistently ship cars to/from various destinations I learned that dealing with an experienced shipping company direct is a better choice than using a broker.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Brokers tend to be useless most of the time, they will take their fee and then disappear. Shippers setup via brokers tend to be hit or miss, best way is to setup a shipment via Uship and then contact the bidders directly to see if they are a shipper or broker. Do some research online and then make your decision off the reviews.

I had these idiots drive someones car off of the ramps while trying to get my car off the trailer...

hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the coupe during the day trip to md and had it shipped back through montway. They use insured drivers and insure you through their own policy as well, plus a comprehensive bill of lading recording all damage before and after. It's not that I'm a "big baller", I had to work this around a full time work and full time school schedule simultaneously. I had one day to put this all together and shipping was the best option for me in the end, all things considered. She got dropped off yesterday and I couldn't be happier with everything. Anyone considering shipping, I highly recommend montway. They picked up the car and had it at my door in 2 days, despite the website saying allow1-5 days for pickup and 2-4 for delivery. Thanks for helping me out, here she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (103.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice, glad it worked out for you man! Clean car!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote