Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #31
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
nope as per FSM timing is 20' btdc with +/- 2' look on page 29 under the EF & EC
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #32
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
dennydizzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ok so instead of taking out my egr and cleaning it i got another catalytic converter and hooked it to my car and took it to a smog shop(a no pass no pay place) to see how the new numbers will look...turns out i still failed due to high nox at both speeds only went down about 200..

so after avoiding removing and cleaning my egr looks like i have to..and ive read that retarding the timing will reduce NOx numbers..this is correct? and how much can i lower it without damage..

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
dennydizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #33
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry to be a smartass, buy why ask for help if you don't want to hear any solutions? I still say check out the EGR system. It may not be that the valve itself is clogged, it may just not be operating at all. Who knows. That would still be the best place to start unless you want to keep throwing parts at the problem. If it is all good, at least that will be eliminated from the very good possibility list.
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #34
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory View Post
Sorry to be a smartass, buy why ask for help if you don't want to hear any solutions? I still say check out the EGR system. It may not be that the valve itself is clogged, it may just not be operating at all. Who knows. That would still be the best place to start unless you want to keep throwing parts at the problem. If it is all good, at least that will be eliminated from the very good possibility list.

oh no doubt im going to take apart my egr..i just wanted to rule out the catalytic since its easier to remove than the egr..but now im just wondering if retarding the timing will help me out lowering the NOx level along with cleaning or replacing the egr..

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #35
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
when my state still had emissions testing, i once unplugged an injector and let them run it on three cylinders to pass with flying colors.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #36
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
when my state still had emissions testing, i once unplugged an injector and let them run it on three cylinders to pass with flying colors.

r u serious?will that actually work?

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #37
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennydizzo View Post
r u serious?will that actually work?
it worked for me.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #38
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

okay so i ended up taking apart my egr and cleaned the hell outta it..it was filled with alot of black carbon crap and i ended up buying a brand spanking new catalytic converter and changed my o2 sensor..my results were:

15mph
HC.....max=88.....measured 30
cO.....max=0.52...measured 0.03
NO.....max=704....measured 27

25mph
HC.....max=53.....measured 16
CO.....max=0.50...measured 0.04
NO.....max=738....measured 5

finally passed with Flyin colors...thanks everyone for their suggestions and output!!

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #39
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
lol thats whats up ..but i think you could of passed with out the new cat but anyways its something that you dont have to replace down the road..hehe
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:45 AM   #40
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Agreed =P. Well, he'll have to replace it down the road when it fails again =P
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #41
dennydizzo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory View Post
Agreed =P. Well, he'll have to replace it down the road when it fails again =P
iF...iF it fails!!

LOVIN ME TOOFODEE!!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #42
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

=P All I'm saying is if you had to replace it once you will have to again. Everything fails at some point. That is why I'm so gungho about diagnosing problems. If you replace something that hasn't yet failed you miss out on some of its usable life and the new part will fail at some point as well.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #43
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
Your nox levels are high because something in your setup is causing it to run lean and therefore increasing the combustion temps, also you want to fill up 91 octane, maybe buy a new cat and clean the egr, or you can write down the cost for all this, and compare it to paying for a dirty smog and go for the cheaper of the two.

But I recommend you go the legal route

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #44
Seikenman

Trader Rating: (6)
Seikenman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Congrats on passing your emissions test. About your knock sensor code. You were getting it because you were running 87 regular gas. The dohc 240's need to run 91. You can run 87 but the sensor will detect knock, throwing the knock code, and retard the timing
Seikenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #45
BustedS13
Post Whore!

ha ha ha. i capped off my EGR with a chunk of license plate, and i'm about to get an exhaust fabbed up from the header back with no cat.

god i love not dealing with bullshit
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #46
miklos
Zilvia Member

miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
Timing at 15 is the factory setting
miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #47
modulation
Zilvia Member

modulation is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd bet you had a pre-cat exhaust leak.
I had similar problems (really high nox, low hydrocarbons.)

Turned out to be a exhaust leak right before my cat.
modulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #48
miklos
Zilvia Member

miklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choicesmiklos has made poor choices
I pulled out my egr after running seafoam through the throttle body and found carbon caked inside the manifold.
My egr solenoid had no ground and the vacuum hoses were melted back there on an SOHC.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #49
miklos
Zilvia Member

Failed again 3x

I just failed for the 3rd time.
After the 2nd time:
I replaced the spark plugs and plug wires, O2, EGR solenoid, cleaned out the EGR ports, 2 new fuel injectors, new vacuum hoses, and the MAF.

15mph NOX 2803
25mph NOX 1276
15mph CO .87

Do you think a new cat would fix all of this?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #50
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
change your motor oil helps reduce nox. new oil helps the motor work less and creates less nox.

where i use to live use to have smogging and i failed on NOX so i changed my motor oil and went back and passed with flying colors.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #51
miklos
Zilvia Member

Oil was changed 5 weeks ago. I'm sure the Cat must be bad causing the NOx to be high
Old 11-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #52
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
Are you getting any codes at all? How's your idle?

Typically when a cat is bad all three areas are higher than normal.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #53
miklos
Zilvia Member

I was getting a code for the EGR temp sensor but the light has been off for a week. Idle is good.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #54
NismOkatFreaK
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
NismOkatFreaK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Damn smog suck's, I kept failing so I figured it had to be the air idle control valve or whatever that things called that everyone takes out. So I took the pipe off that attaches to the exhaust, put a nickle in there then reattached the pipe and walla, I passed! Just thought id share what I had to do.
NismOkatFreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #55
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
You blocked off the EGR pipe? lol

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #56
240trooper
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
240trooper is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trooper Send a message via Yahoo to 240trooper
my 240 years ago didnt pass for shit. found out the cat was gutted lol . New cat and had teh egr replaced and it passed. failed was GP over 3000's , passed in the 110's
240trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #57
miklos
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismOkatFreaK View Post
Damn smog suck's, I kept failing so I figured it had to be the air idle control valve or whatever that things called that everyone takes out. So I took the pipe off that attaches to the exhaust, put a nickle in there then reattached the pipe and walla, I passed! Just thought id share what I had to do.
You mean the hose at the bottom of the AIV going to the exhaust?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #58
Almedarj
Leaky Injector

Almedarj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Almedarj
i gotta friend who will just pass your car even if you failed already but it cost about $300 not bad considering you might pay to get what you thought was the issue fixxed and have your car fail again lol
Almedarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #59
ILLES13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (41)
ILLES13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissynbeau View Post
I just had the same problem. I had the egr line cleaned out and had to buy a new cat. I just passed yesterday

Same here, i have the same year same motor coupe. also hit NOX in the 3000's.
bought a brand new catalytics converter, passed it like a champ
ILLES13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #60
miklos
Zilvia Member

I know a new cat will make the car pass.......but Gold Shield gives them out last after they do everything else. And since I'm running rich---the cat would go out in 3 months.........so I might as well fix the richness and stop wasting gas.