Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
tannerezell077

Trader Rating: (0)
tannerezell077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crank no start

I have a 91 240sx with a ka24de.
I recently just finished up my turbo project on my 240 and got it all tuned and the bugs worked out of it, so I thought. I went for a drive to the gas station to get some fresh gas seeings how I was very low. on my way there I run out of gas(gauge is incorrect). Shortly after I ran out some loggers stopped and ask if I needed help then they said they had a little gas enough to get me back home. after I got home which was less than a 3 minute drive I put 3 gallons of 87 octane in the car (always run 93) and head towards the gas station. Seems to be running fine then I put it in 5th gear and it backfires a little bit and then a big cloud of blackish rich smoke comes out my exhaust and it dies. got it home to see what the issue is
I have confirmed that I have the following:
- I have spark to all four plugs
- Checked timing and its spot on
- I have fuel to the fuel pressure regulator and obviously to the injectors because when I pull the plugs they have gas on them
- The motor is getting air
It cranks fine, and stumbles and shakes like it tries to start when I stop cranking. the battery is fully charged. I am able to check the tps % and maf and so on from my laptop it all seems okay to me. Could it possibly be bad gas? it seems to me like its flooding out and fouling the plugs. Someone please help I need to get this car back on the road and any info would be awesome!
tannerezell077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #2
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
black smoke means you are running reeeeealy rich, normally if a car is starting up for half a second its not getting enough fuel which is strange but id suggest just draining the other stuff and put brand new 93 in with some new plugs. btw what is your fuel pressure
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
tannerezell077

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLemurs View Post
black smoke means you are running reeeeealy rich, normally if a car is starting up for half a second its not getting enough fuel which is strange but id suggest just draining the other stuff and put brand new 93 in with some new plugs. btw what is your fuel pressure
ill drain the old stuff out and put fresh 93 in tomorrow. i have it set right now at 40 psi with the key turned on. no matter how high or low i go in fuel pressure it still won’t start.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
may have injector stuck open
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Use new plugs
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Put fresh 93 in it and see what happens?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
tannerezell077

Update: I got the car running a few times today and made a little bit of good progress.
-Drained old fuel and filled up with fresh 93
-New ngk plugs
As soon as I put the fresh gas in and let the plugs and inside the cylinder air out, I let the fuel pump prime and it fired right up and run. I try to restart later and nothing. went and got the new plugs and it seemed to help it would fire up and run for a few.
Now this is the odd part that has me thinking it running rich, I unplugged the relay for the fuel pump so it wouldn't pump anymore fuel and the car fired up and run for about a minute and a half without the fuel pump giving any fuel?????? I guess it had dumped so much fuel previously it was just burning it off? I'm so stumped here and I've obviously narrowed it down to a fuel issue I just can't figure out how to solve it.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
How is it tuned? do you have a wideband? can you you remove fuel from the table?
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #9
tannerezell077

it’s tuned on aem f/ic. yes i have a wideband and i am able to add and subtract fuel from the table but i’ve tried adding and subtracting them to get it to start with no luck
Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
oLemurs
Zilvia Member

oLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura aboutoLemurs has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerezell077 View Post
it’s tuned on aem f/ic. yes i have a wideband and i am able to add and subtract fuel from the table but i’ve tried adding and subtracting them to get it to start with no luck
its obvious its getting too much fuel, see if your injectors are leaking
oLemurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
+1 for injector or injector o-ring leak.

a new set of O-rings is only like $2 per injector, you can also have the injectors sent out to RC and have them cleaned/flow tested.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
tannerezell077

i checked for injector leak yesterday and bad o rings everything checked out good no leaks, good spray pattern, and good o rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #13
tannerezell077

Update: replaced fuel filter and fixed small boost leak. i haven’t had much luck still but i have found it almost wants to start up every time i crank it when the fuel pressure is around 5psi. all these things have been done with the maf unplugged to eliminate the chance of it being a bad maf. cleaned the iacv as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk