Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bodywork: rear quarter panels and engine bay

What should I use to smooth out my rear quarter panels and fill the hole where the light was? Will bondo work?

I also want to fill in a lot of these unnecessary holes in my engine bay before I paint. Will bondo work for that too?

I have very little knowledge of bodywork and I was wondering if any one has any suggestions. I've heard it may be good to use an epoxy for the smaller holes?

Will a few coats of bondo filler and lots of sanding and smoothing get my car smooth?
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Choppz

Choppz is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd be interested in reply for rear quarters. Bout to buy a 2 tone sr20 240 in a few days that has similar damage to right rear
Choppz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
iBaSiiCk

Trader Rating: (1)
iBaSiiCk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just bondo by itself won't work, you're going to have to fill that void on your quarter panel with either fiberglass or weld a piece of metal. Easiest way to do this fill it with fiberglass is from the inside of the quarter panel and then bondo it smooth on the outside
iBaSiiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
iBaSiiCk

And also on your engine bay I'd just weld all the holes and make sure you scuff up the suffices you want to paint, otherwise the paint won't adhere very well and will eventually start chipping off
Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
big_tuna

big_tuna is an unknown quantity at this point
Welding up the holes is the best way. Weld in a patch for the marker light holes. If you can access the backside of that rear quarter, it would be a good idea to hammer and dollie the damage the best you can. Get the metal straightened out the best you can before you apply any kind of filler. People go overboard when using Bondo or any kind of fillers, and it looks like hell. Its supposed to be applied thin, for levelling. If its too thick it will crack and if its not applied to bare metal it won't stick properly. Like its been mentioned, always scuff the areas you intend to paint before applying paint for good adhesion. Make sure the area is super clean too so you don't experience fish eyes!
big_tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
iBaSiiCk

^ this is exactly what I did on my s14. I used wax and grease remover to clean the suffices I intended to paint followed with at least two light coats of primer and two/three coats of base but be careful not to apply it heavy so you don't get any runs in the paint
Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
Invest in a welder to clean up the engine bay.

As for the rear quarter, I'm not sure bondo would be the way to go. I have no experience in real bodywork but you're going to need a lot more then bondo work to fix that. Maybe look into patching it from a donor car?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
That rear quarter needs a lot of love. I think the best best would to pull/bang out the majority of the dents. Then I'd weld up the side marker and ho do the entire area back to smoothness. In all reality, you need a new quarter installed.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
nismostate
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (3)
nismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruinnismostate is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nismostate
over fender for the rear. done
nismostate is offline   Reply With Quote