Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
jlmillionaire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
jlmillionaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
External waste gate vacuum line setup

Hi guys, I need some help with my vacuum lines , I have a tial 38mm ext wastegate.As I have it setup now which I'm sure is wrong , I have the barb on the top of the wastegate running directly to the vacuum source from the throttle body , I have also my bov vacuum line to the throttle body. I have no source from my gt3076r turbo . It's also a top mount turbo setup with dumptube. Thanks guys
jlmillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I believe you're supposed to leave the top port open. And you should run a vacuum line from a boost source, preferably the hot pipe, to one of the ports on the side of the wastegate. Which model tial do you have?
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 AM   #3
jlmillionaire
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
jlmillionaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have the 2 bolt 38mm tial
jlmillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmillionaire View Post
Hi guys, I need some help with my vacuum lines , I have a tial 38mm ext wastegate.As I have it setup now which I'm sure is wrong , I have the barb on the top of the wastegate running directly to the vacuum source from the throttle body , I have also my bov vacuum line to the throttle body. I have no source from my gt3076r turbo . It's also a top mount turbo setup with dumptube. Thanks guys
Top of wastegate is only used with boost controllers. You'll run a line from that, through (boost controller of choice) and then to a pressure source. Follow your boost controller's install guide for more information, but in typical Profec/older units you just run this to a pressure source anywhere.

If you're not using boost control, you leave the top vented

Side port of wastegate goes to vacuum source PRE throttle body, typically on the compressor housing, or on the hotpipe coming out of the turbo.

EDIT: If you're using a Tial MVS/MVR you need to use the associated plugs to block off all unused ports.

In my example, the redline goes from the wastegate side port to my hotpipe for it's pressure source. The blue line goes from teh top of the wastegate, over to my boost control solenoid on the shock tower. The green line then goes from the other side of the solenoid to a pressure source which i also have on my hotpipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg linerouting.jpg (59.7 KB, 37 views)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
EnnEssEnnKAT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
EnnEssEnnKAT can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Top of wastegate is only used with boost controllers. You'll run a line from that, through (boost controller of choice) and then to a pressure source. Follow your boost controller's install guide for more information, but in typical Profec/older units you just run this to a pressure source anywhere.

If you're not using boost control, you leave the top vented

Side port of wastegate goes to vacuum source PRE throttle body, typically on the compressor housing, or on the hotpipe coming out of the turbo.

EDIT: If you're using a Tial MVS/MVR you need to use the associated plugs to block off all unused ports.

In my example, the redline goes from the wastegate side port to my hotpipe for it's pressure source. The blue line goes from teh top of the wastegate, over to my boost control solenoid on the shock tower. The green line then goes from the other side of the solenoid to a pressure source which i also have on my hotpipe.
This never made much sense to me. The outlet of the turbo compressor is the boost at the outlet. Don't you want to look at the resultant psi on the other side of the intercooler, like inside the manifold? Then on top of that if you are using a boost gauge/controller combo like i am, then i want to monitor manifold pressure with the gauge anyways. Since that gauge/controller also regulates boost then the best place to measure and regulate the boost should be in the manifold after the air has cooled and expanded. Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way and have my setup wrong.

Sent from mTalk
EnnEssEnnKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnnEssEnnKAT View Post
This never made much sense to me. The outlet of the turbo compressor is the boost at the outlet. Don't you want to look at the resultant psi on the other side of the intercooler, like inside the manifold? Then on top of that if you are using a boost gauge/controller combo like i am, then i want to monitor manifold pressure with the gauge anyways. Since that gauge/controller also regulates boost then the best place to measure and regulate the boost should be in the manifold after the air has cooled and expanded. Maybe I'm thinking of this the wrong way and have my setup wrong.

Sent from mTalk
I'll be the first to admit I don't have any sort of science or engineering degree, so I'm not sure on the effect on the wastegate or BC other than it's going to regulate from the manifold (final source) but I simply did mine in the name of simplification.

I am running my boost gauge off the manifold though to know the actual boost pressure there, so I sorta (would assume) that regardless of what the 'source' sees so long as your final boost control nets you the boost pressure you want to see on the gauge, then it shouldn't much matter. However I have always sourced the WG and EBC from pressured sources, not so much 'vacuum' sources (as in all before throttle body)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Psychomoongoose
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Psychomoongoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Useful stuff from the manufacturers and for those too lazy to google

http://www.tialsport.com/documents/MV-Install-Guide.jpg

http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...noid%20Kit.pdf