Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
TWest
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
TWest is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB The Z32/BNR32 Build Thread

I've been lurking the forums for a long time but hardly ever post, so I figured I might as well post a build thread since Winter is almost here.

I'll start off by saying that this is my first car that I've ever done any type of work on by myself (other than some simple audio installation and typical oil changes) so I have learned basically everything I know from working on this car.

I had originally planned on buying a S14, but after countless weeks of searching with next to no luck, I came across this car and decided to pull the trigger on it. A 1990 300zx N/A with 52k original miles on it. It was priced for a steal, or so I thought. (Given everything that I later found to be wrong with it, I still think I got a pretty good deal on it.)

Anyways, on to the build:

The day I bought the car (had to back the car onto the trailer because the only way the auto tranny would go was reverse.)

The engine bay was a mess when I bought it, the previous owner had completely neglected it. This pic was taken after I had already started taking things apart for the pull, but you get the idea.

Lovely injector wiring that had been rigged by whoever had previously replaced the injectors.

The car originally came with an automatic transmission that was busted when I bought it, so I picked up a 5 speed swap off of a local.

Obligatory clutch pedal/auto shifter shot

Spent the next day removing the auto transmission

Extension I had to piece together to get to the top bolt on the bell housing. Was a PITA

Didn't get any pics of the transmission being taken out, but once it was out I pulled the motor. Plan was originally just to replace all the gaskets/seals and do the 120k maintenance on it, but ended up deciding I didn't like anything that was going on in the bay at all.

Started off with some weight reduction

Prepping for the pull

Ugly thing is out

Plenum off to be cleaned up

What a mess

Left off here for a couple weeks, ended up getting really busy with school and work and didn't have that much time to work on the car. But finally I got caught up on things and was able to work on the car again.
There's a lot more progress past this point, I'll update soon.

Last edited by TWest; 03-29-2015 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Title Change plx
TWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
TWest
Leaky Injector

Never realized this got approved. Anyway, here's an update.

Started going through the engine. The outside looked like shit but the inside was surprisingly not bad.

Went ahead and deleted the egr

Debated on whether to polish the plenum or powdercoat it..

Got tired of looking at the nasty valve covers so I painted them white. They will be powder coated eventually, but for now paint will have to do.

While the engine was out, I decided the bay could use some major degreasing. Loaded it onto the trailer and got it nice and clean.

Here is where the real fun began. I loved the z32 chassis but absolutely hated everything about the engine bay. I had already gotten rid of the cruise control, AIV, EGR, PRVR, Carbon Canister, and PCV.. so figured why not take it a little further....so the bodywork began.

Started off by cutting out the rust. My goal here was also to shave the various brackets etc that plagued the wheel wells on both sides of the engine bay. At this point I had no prior knowledge of how to do bodywork whatsoever. Looking back I probably would've tubbed it but at the time I just patched it with a smooth piece of sheet metal. I like how it turned out regardless.

Went ahead and relocated the fuse box to the frame rail underneath the drivers side headlight. Wires will be extended later, just needed it out of the way for now.

As you can probably tell from the fuse box pics, the rust was even worse on the drivers side. I didn't get any pics of it being cut out because it didn't cross my mind at the time, but I did manage to get some of the smoothing process.

Even after getting both wheel wells shaved and covered in primer I still had a big miss to deal with..

Went ahead and cleaned the oil pan up and painted it.

So much better

Decided to pull the sub frame to get everything nice and newish looking.

Also went ahead and cut out the battery tray (was spot welded in from the factory ), will be relocating the battery to the trunk.

Haven't taken any up to date pics, but as of now the engine bay is almost ready for paint. My goal is to get the car put back together and painted before I leave for BMT in January. I still have to patch up the rust on the rocker panels, delete the antenna and rear wiper, and repair a few door dings and it will be ready for paint. It's getting a complete color change so there's a lot of prep work that needs done still.

Once I get out of BMT and go to Tech School, I plan on stocking up on parts. I just had to get the car looking good before I could justify spending too much on parts for it.

I'll try to update again asap.. stay tuned!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
double zero
Zilvia Member

double zero is an unknown quantity at this point
so, what engine is going in this?? and eww on the 2+2 body!!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
TWest
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by double zero View Post
so, what engine is going in this?? and eww on the 2+2 body!!
Haha, I like the longer wheelbase. 2+0's do look better though, no doubt.
As for the engine, I'm keeping the original VG30DE(NA) for now, simply due to the super low mileage it has on it. I do plan on eventually swapping it out, but that won't be until at least next year.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
good work seriously!!!
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
these cars are seriously starting to grow on me. I just cant get over how much of a mess the engine bay is from factory.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
TWest
Leaky Injector

Thanks guys. Small update, but figured I'd at least post something today. Changed my mind on the valve covers, this isn't going to be a trailer queen or anything so I figured I would end up getting tired of the white valve covers real quick due to them getting dirty so easy. So, I made a solution:

I like it a lot better personally. Keeps an OEM look without keeping it OEM. Still haven't got around to powder coating them yet, just used high temp engine enamel again. Powder will come later for all my engine parts once every things put back together and I decide I like the color scheme.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
TWest
Leaky Injector

Engine bay is getting painted as soon as I can get around to it. Once it's painted I can finally start getting stuff done.

Got the EFI harness out. This thing was a total pain to pull through the firewall. Debating on getting a mil spec connector to use as a quick disconnect on the firewall so I don't have to do this again. Anyway, gonna rewrap the harness and extend some wires so the harness can be hidden away easier.

Oh, and here's a little teaser of my intake plenum.

Last edited by TWest; 12-10-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
TWest
Leaky Injector

Haven't been on here in a while, but progress has been made on the build.

As for a mini-update, I purchased a set of Stillen headers and a gasket kit on black friday. Just waiting on them to get here. In the meantime I've been taking apart the mess of EFI harness that I posted above, and extending/rewrapping it as well as deleting unnecessary wires/connections. Never realized it would be so time consuming, but I should've known.

Anyway, I'll post up pics of the painted suspension/engine bay when I get the chance to paint it and upload them.

Last edited by TWest; 12-09-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
TWest
Leaky Injector

Well, some things came up and I still haven't been able to get around to painting the engine bay yet.

First off, my fiance ended up having car trouble, so my past week or so has been spent trying to help her find a new car. She ended up getting a Toyota Celica GT-S. Shes wanting me to help her mod it so this is going to be her new project.

As for progress on paint, I'm just waiting on a few suspension parts to come in so I can reassemble my subframe and roll the car into the garage for paint. Should be done I'm hoping by next Monday.

Here is a picture of how it's sitting now (other than the hood being back on). Makes me cringe a little looking at it in this state.. but not much I can do at this point other than wait on parts.

In my last post I talked about ordering the Stillen headers and the gasket kit. They came in this week, but ended up having to go with Top Speed headers instead. Apparently the Stillen headers were on back order, so CZP contacted me to let me know, and told me that the Top Speed headers were actually identical. Apparently Top Speed manufactures the headers for Stillen. Wasn't a problem to me so I went ahead and told them to ship me the Top Speed ones instead.

I hate playing the waiting game, can't wait until I get the bay painted so I can finally start putting things back together and make it start looking like a car again. I'm really anxious to see how the paint turns out as well. It's getting a three stage paint, but I'll leave the color a surprise until I get pics of the outcome
Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
props for another KY guy! any updates on this thing?
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Smartone
Leaky Injector

Smartone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Z32 as well but I am doing an Ls swap. If you want I have a new used harness that only has 600 miles on it. It is for a TT and has already been wired to tuck it. I have some pictures I can post of my bay shave if you would like. Keep up the progress, it looks good!
Smartone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
TWest
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkiset View Post
props for another KY guy! any updates on this thing?
Thanks! Will update soon, should be painting the bay either tomorrow or one of the following days (time permitted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
I have a Z32 as well but I am doing an Ls swap. If you want I have a new used harness that only has 600 miles on it. It is for a TT and has already been wired to tuck it. I have some pictures I can post of my bay shave if you would like. Keep up the progress, it looks good!
If I wasn't staying NA I would definitely be interested. I'll probably be swapping in something other than a VG once I'm done with the NA though. But yeah feel free to post up pics of your bay! If you have any pics of the tucked harness (out of the car) feel free to post those too. Still planning how I want to run mine. So far all I've got done is removing the wires/connectors for the AIV/EGR/PRVR solenoids and grouping everything else together.. I'll be mocking everything up once the motor is back in the car, hopefully it's not too much of a pain to extend what I need.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #14
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wish all threads were as well-documented as this one. In for more updates. Keep up the good work man
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
TWest
Leaky Injector

UPDATE!!!! No more Black Z! Well.. no more black engine bay anyway.

Before I post pics of paint, here's a little progress on the suspension.
In case you missed the pic earlier in the thread, here is how the suspension used to look:

Got the crossmember stripped down to bare metal and painted black

More pieces in process of being prepped (plus intake valve covers)

Starting to come together nicely

I have the rest of the suspension painted as well, just have yet to take pics yet. Anyway, on to what most of you are probably reading this for...the paint change!

I decided to go with a white base with a blue pearl. The blue pearl is hard to photograph but it looks really good in person. I'll try to get better pics this weekend with my DSLR, but for now all I have is cell phone pictures... anyway, here you go:

Before wet sanding

Showing me how to paint, haha

Caught me off guard

Base coat progress

Final product

Yellow lines in pic is from lighting..like I said paint looks much better in person

Feels good to finally be done with the engine bay (for the most part). Now to reassemble everything..
I'll keep you guys updated when I make any noteworthy changes. Hopefully I get all the new gaskets/seals installed sometime this weekend/next week. It'll get done as soon as I find the time to tear the motor down the rest of the way. Stay tuned!

Last edited by TWest; 12-23-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Old 12-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #16
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
nice work man...in for more
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
shephurd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shephurd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good work, do you attend Ohio University?
shephurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
TWest
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shephurd View Post
good work, do you attend Ohio University?
Used to, just enlisted in the Air Force about 6 months ago. Going to finish up my degree while I'm in.

Quick little update, got the freshly painted suspension bolted up. I love the way the steering rack turned out! The color really goes well against the black cross member. Haven't taken any pics with the rest of the suspension bolted in yet, but everything has been taken down to bare metal and repainted so it all looks brand new again. I will be upgrading my suspension one step at a time later on, but I'm more than satisfied with this for now.

Excuse the dusty bay. I guess that's what happens when dealing with 23 year old suspension parts. :P

Everything is bolted in now suspension wise. I will be changing my fuel lines to SS braided hose and AN fittings, so the old nasty bracket in the pics will be gone before too long.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
TWest
Leaky Injector

Just a quick update, will finally be tearing down the motor to replace all the seals/gaskets this weekend. Shouldn't take too long, I'll post an update once it's done. I'm leaving for basic training on the 14th, so I'm trying to get as much as I can done before then. Going to try and get everything in the engine bay put back together before I leave that way when I come back on leave after tech school all I have left to do will be a little body work and paint. The next couple weeks is gonna be kinda hectic but I should be able to get everything done in time. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
Night drifte89
Zilvia Junkie

Night drifte89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loving this, subscribed dude
Night drifte89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #21
Lockiess15
Zilvia Member

Lockiess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't often see these being modified [least in New Zealand] so nice to see one getting bit of love. Good work so far
Lockiess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
That engine bay tho
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #23
TWest
Leaky Injector

Thanks guys. Just ordered some last minute parts.. hopefully they come in this coming week since I'll be leaving the Tuesday after next. Teardown on the engine should start tomorrow.. hopefully I have it all back together by Monday.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #24
sterlinge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
sterlinge is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Nice work! I like the white with blue pearl on the engine bay. Almost like..wait that is the same as mine. haha
sterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #25
TWest
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinge View Post
Nice work! I like the white with blue pearl on the engine bay. Almost like..wait that is the same as mine. haha

Haha really? That's awesome man. Feel free to post up a pic!
Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
Kingbaby
Zilvia Junkie

Kingbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
congrats on enlisting...won't regret it!

<---Sailor
#0191 "Lin'da" 2AMR>2AMR>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
That's pretty cool. Never sell it, you'll regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
I donut see an FC on this page, man
Kingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
nice work on the z32!! they are very curvy bodied cars...always loved em just never loved em enough to deal with the engine bay of one.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #28
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
2+2 and 2+0 were different wheelbase?!!! whaatt
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #29
TWest
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyS14se View Post
2+2 and 2+0 were different wheelbase?!!! whaatt

Yep.

2+2 overall length = 4525mm
2+0 overall length = 4305mm

So 2+2 is actually about 9" longer than the 2+0.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #30
Bumpkin203
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Bumpkin203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbaby View Post
congrats on enlisting...won't regret it!

<---Sailor
Depending on the job and where he goes haha (AF as well). Nice job OP, would love to do a z32 to go with my z33 daily. Keep it up man.
Bumpkin203 is offline   Reply With Quote