Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
No.fvckz

Trader Rating: (0)
No.fvckz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 1jz vs rb25- Summer Project

Hey guys, im new to the forums, quick intro, im 16 and way in over my head.
Before you ask, yes there are already threads about this particular topic, but mines a little different. I have plans of swapping either engine into a s13 shell which ill be picking up late june and i plan to finish the build sometime at the end of summer, and by finish i mean have a running car. Now money isnt the biggest issue although id like to cut as many corners as possible and still have end up with a reliable build. I understand the RB25 is alot simpler to swap than the 1jz but they've always had a special place in my heart, ever since i knew what a supra was. For someone with my experience the obvious choice is the rb but a local engine shop just got a 1jz vvti single turbo with the r154 tranny combo for a little under $2k. So please give me your opinions and some more insight. and no bs "your better off buying it built" answers, because im dedicated to building this, with some help, in my own backyard
No.fvckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #2
No.fvckz

Update: After further research I have to come to a conclusion, ill just do an rb swap. Thanks i guess?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Gremo can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by No.fvckz View Post
Update: After further research I have to come to a conclusion, ill just do an rb swap. Thanks i guess?
What's the plan for the rb? It does get expensive by the second. I like the 1j personally. Built both in the past. Make a parts list for both. Complete list not leaving out anything. Get prices and then weigh your options. Talk to your tuner as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Gremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremo View Post
What's the plan for the rb? It does get expensive by the second. I like the 1j personally. Built both in the past. Make a parts list for both. Complete list not leaving out anything. Get prices and then weigh your options. Talk to your tuner as well.

Yea ill make a build thread once i get the shell. Honestly i might just keep it stock for the most part, Its gonna be my daily for school and work and i want something reliable and not too crazy but at the same time puts a smile on my face when i rip it.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Nissan2nr22
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (30)
Nissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura aboutNissan2nr22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Had rb and jz, ever since I got a taste of jz i never once even considered RB

price point jz is worth it more, less problems, more common etc

if youre going stock setup in like a cheap s13 and budget then rb would be ideal

id spend a extra few bucks and go jz, if you have the right connects and hook ups you could do it for a good price
Nissan2nr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
No.fvckz

https://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/6089999365.html
Something came up, might go for this rb20 ��
Update: they sold that shit so now im back on the hunt for a rb25.

Last edited by No.fvckz; 05-13-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
LoneWolfK16 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You should jump on that 1jz swap. (Obviously inspect the motor/tranny)

You'd literally be getting a free motor since the r154 prices have skyrocketed.

1jz's in a schassis is more than enough power to have fun with.

Since you live in the states and want to keep the car "reliable" I'd def go with the 1jz. Parts will be easily accessible. (This is coming from an RB fan)
LoneWolfK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
LoneWolfK16
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
LoneWolfK16 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You should jump on that 1jz swap. (Obviously inspect the motor/tranny)

You'd literally be getting a free motor since the r154 prices have skyrocketed.

1jz's in a schassis is more than enough power to have fun with.

Since you live in the states and want to keep the car "reliable" I'd def go with the 1jz. Parts will be easily accessible. (This is coming from an RB fan)

At the end of the day it is your car so please do what the fuck you really want.
LoneWolfK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Parts are easy to get for both, Im an RB fan, but the JZ is a great engine.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Koukiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd jump on that 1jz vvti with r154 immediately! As long as both are in good condition thats a steal.

I was in the same boat as you except it was a 4 way between 1jz,2jz,rb25,rb26.

I wanted to do an angry RB build so bad but they just are not reliable enough in stock form for me to trust it. With my power goal around 600hp I felt much safer with a JZ engine, I ended up going 2jzgte VVTI
Koukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
No.fvckz

Yea turns put the 1jz came with an automatic trans, they just said they had r154 in stock, plus i found better deals on a complete rb25 just a little farther from me. Ive been looking at all the parts i need and im gonna make a build thread soon. ill post the link for it here.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Yea turns put the 1jz came with an automatic trans, they just said they had r154 in stock, plus i found better deals on a complete rb25 just a little farther from me. Ive been looking at all the parts i need and im gonna make a build thread soon. ill post the link for it here.
What are your plans once you find the motor you want? Are you doing a rebuild or just throwing it in and hoping for the best?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
No.fvckz

Quote:
What are your plans once you find the motor you want? Are you doing a rebuild or just throwing it in and hoping for the best?

Hoping for the best lmao, i dont have money to be rebuilding engines.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
Gremo
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Hoping for the best lmao, i dont have money to be rebuilding engines.
If that's the case you'll want to take your time finding a complete swap. The best deal won't work out to well in This situation. Purchase the swap from a reputable place. Even then it's a crap shoot. In my experience you get 1 decent rb out of 3 lol. There are places that will work with you if the motor turns out shit.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
No.fvckz

Quote:
If that's the case you'll want to take your time finding a complete swap. The best deal won't work out to well in This situation. Purchase the swap from a reputable place. Even then it's a crap shoot. In my experience you get 1 decent rb out of 3 lol. There are places that will work with you if the motor turns out shit.

Yea i mean the one i found them in is 2 hours away so they better come out good. but yea imma check them put before i buy
Old 05-15-2017, 02:26 AM   #16
No.fvckz

One other thing you people should know about me. Im very indecisive, a bunch of different deals come come up in my area, so this rb25 into an s13 can become a 1jz into an s14 real quick. But like i said as soon as i have everything in order ill start a build thread.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #17
sixmassive

sixmassive is an unknown quantity at this point
We can tell.

Get a running S13, and learn how to keep it running. You're 16, and want a daily. Assuming you aren't a trust fund kid, cash is short, and you'll need your daily to get you to work, so you can pay for your car.

Get the car running, and the chassis figured out, and learn to drive. Its a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
sixmassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #18
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixmassive View Post
We can tell.

Get a running S13, and learn how to keep it running. You're 16, and want a daily. Assuming you aren't a trust fund kid, cash is short, and you'll need your daily to get you to work, so you can pay for your car.

Get the car running, and the chassis figured out, and learn to drive. Its a lot more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Yea i see what your getting at but im turning 17 in july and ive been driving for over a year, and i think im ready for something fast. Another thing i should add is that i wanna take this thing to drift events from time to time
Old 05-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yea i see what your getting at but im turning 17 in july and ive been driving for over a year, and i think im ready for something fast. Another thing i should add is that i wanna take this thing to drift events from time to time
All bad ideas. With only a year under your belt, you'll end up wrapping your drift daily around a light pole.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
All bad ideas. With only a year under your belt, you'll end up wrapping your drift daily around a light pole.
This is the kinda thing that gets on my nerves sometimes, not you in particular, i know your just trying to help, but in general when people think, just because im young, they automatically assume im an unresponsible kid whos just gonna get himself killed. Im not the kind of dude who goes around drifting parking lots and goes 90 on the freeway.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #21
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
This is the kinda thing that gets on my nerves sometimes, not you in particular, i know your just trying to help, but in general when people think, just because im young, they automatically assume im an unresponsible kid whos just gonna get himself killed. Im not the kind of dude who goes around drifting parking lots and goes 90 on the freeway.
Just as someone who was 15 when they got their S chassis with an SR swap who also said this, even if you feel that you mean it when say how responsible you are you're still going to eventually do a rolling burnout through your school's parking lot, especially if you have 2 more cylinders full of teenage hormones and confidence than I did, regardless good luck and have fun!

Also on topic, JZ's are awesome and RB's suck. Choosing an RB over a JZ is a lot like picking a hemi over a small block Chevy. Sure it's different but it sure as hell isn't better.

Also DO NOT buy an engine from craigslist, it's on there for a reason. Working at a machine shop and in the race community has jaded me when it comes to trusting other people and their craftsmanship. Go through an importer and be picky and get it done right the first time.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #22
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Just as someone who was 15 when they got their S chassis with an SR swap who also said this, even if you feel that you mean it when say how responsible you are you're still going to eventually do a rolling burnout through your school's parking lot, especially if you have 2 more cylinders full of teenage hormones and confidence than I did, regardless good luck and have fun!

Also on topic, JZ's are awesome and RB's suck. Choosing an RB over a JZ is a lot like picking a hemi over a small block Chevy. Sure it's different but it sure as hell isn't better.

Also DO NOT buy an engine from craigslist, it's on there for a reason. Working at a machine shop and in the race community has jaded me when it comes to trusting other people and their craftsmanship. Go through an importer and be picky and get it done right the first time.
Yea i dont trust craigslist, thats why im going to an importer 2 hours away from me who supposedly has a good selection of rb's. im not very knowledgeable in what i should look for when buying an rb. Any tips or things i should look out for.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #23
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yea i dont trust craigslist, thats why im going to an importer 2 hours away from me who supposedly has a good selection of rb's. im not very knowledgeable in what i should look for when buying an rb. Any tips or things i should look out for.
Can I just ask why you're so stuck on the RB's?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Can I just ask why you're so stuck on the RB's?
The sound bro lmao
Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #25
No.fvckz

Not just the sound, just saying that, but i dont have money for a jz swap. Took me some tome to realize that it wasnt an option.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #26
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
The sound bro lmao
Okay, well I think that my SR sounds pretty cool but if I could do it all over again I'd build an LS3 and never look back.

Reliability and superior design should be more important deciding factors, sound is simply a compliment. When you look at the RB engine torn down next to a JZ you see why the JZ is the further supported platform. One of the biggest factors simply being the stroke of a 2JZ vs an RB. The 2JZ due to it's longer stroke will make more torque and power than an equally built RB and it will do it more reliably. Also if you have a water pump failure on a dyno it costs you a couple hours and about $50 vs $100 and multiple shipping days.

Anyways this is all opinion based and should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #27
No.fvckz

OK, just realized i said something that might confuse people since i said i could change my mind to an rb and jz quickly, but i also said i dont have money for a jz swap. let me explain im buying a shell with my own money that ive been saving for some time, but i dont have much so my parents are helping me out with the rest. as long as i have good grades and this and that, they'll support my swap. So yes mommy and daddy sponsored. Now i have a certain amount of money i can actually spend and deals in my area pop up out of no where. So it is possible for me to go to any other kind of swap, but my main is an rb25, plan b is a jz automatic, then later on r154 tranny, and if all goes to shit ill probably do an sr swap and call it a day.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #28
sixmassive

sixmassive is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't take this the wrong way, but, Don't be that kid. Get a job.
sixmassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #29
No.fvckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixmassive View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but, Don't be that kid. Get a job.
I have a job :/
Old 05-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #30
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Instead of a shell, I'd find a decent road worthy car. Drive it for a while, while gathering parts for a jz swap.
Do you even have a daily right now?
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote