Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lets see your Stitch Welds

I searched and the last thing that came up was back in 08. It only had like 3 pix. So maybe we can make a thread since a lot more people are doing it. Thanks!
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
240s4life
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
240s4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

DSC_0169 by mattski_s14, on Flickr

gets the job done
240s4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva

can't really see them here but they are there

not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
equipment specs wouldn't hurt, either. does HF sell a cheapo welder people generally use for this?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
repda916
Zilvia Addict

repda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymorerepda916 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
equipment specs wouldn't hurt, either. does HF sell a cheapo welder people generally use for this?
why skimp out on a welder? buy a good one the first time
Lincoln weldpak 100HD is all you need. Find a used one for the price of a HF one
repda916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by repda916 View Post
why skimp out on a welder? buy a good one the first time
Lincoln weldpak 100HD is all you need. Find a used one for the price of a HF one
Yeah seriously, a miller is what i use at school, not as strong as the Lincoln we also have but works great if you know how to use it and set it manually properly.

You'll save more money with a used quality unit than if you buy a cheap HF one anyways
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
welder fight!

lincoln!
miller!
lincoln!
miller!
red!
blue!
red!
blue!
RAAAAGE
Old 01-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Lincoln. Had to set the heat pretty low, kept burning holes till i dialed it in justttt right. Our cars are like soda cans.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Jonnie Fraz of Stealth Custom Fab did my stitch welding, any info about it can be directed at him here on this board.

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
ezza
Zilvia Junkie

ezza is an unknown quantity at this point
noob alert

why exactly do people stitch weld, just to stiffen upthe bay?
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
sidewaysil80
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
sidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to allsidewaysil80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
if its left smooth a lot of dirt/tire dust will accumulate, all the little stitches tend to deflect said dirt as it is kicked towards the engine bay.
sidewaysil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
superfreestyle

superfreestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
mestizo... where did you get those strut tower plates??
superfreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
if its left smooth a lot of dirt/tire dust will accumulate, all the little stitches tend to deflect said dirt as it is kicked towards the engine bay.
lmao...

and mestizo, your engine bay looks as if it's been taken over by slugs, lol. It's nice to see that method of stitchwelding though... very strong. I'll stick with my little spot welds though. I really can't see where one has an advantage over another. Either way, "shit ain't flexin".
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
I see a lot of people who stich weld just the top of the engine bay they don't weld the inside of the wheel wells with the frame. I think that's one of the more beneficial parts...

Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
what is the purpose of stitch welding, what does it do?

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
blatantforchange
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
blatantforchange is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Many purposes depending on the project.. you'll mostly see the fabrication of "tubs" to increase room for the wheels over factory well sizes. Allowing more stearing angle and less rubbing, etc.
blatantforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Stitch welding a chassis effectively increases the torsional rigidity of the car (reduces twisting), this allows the suspension to be easier to tune and operate the way it is supposed to. In an ideal world the chassis must never absorb energy from the suspension, the chassis is supposed to be a solid structure for the suspension to mount onto. By having a solid structure you get much more predictable handling since the suspension is doing all of the work. It is easier to tune a car when the suspension is the only thing deflecting and absorbing the impacts. It is much harder to tune a suspension when the chassis is flexing different amounts under different loads. Bracing a chassis with a front and/or rear strut tower braces and underbody braces are a good idea but these modifications cannot be fully utilized when it is still attached to a flexing chassis.

Prep the seam areas for welding and do spot welds with 1-inch intervals, alternating spot welds from the front to the rear of the car and also the left to the right to prevent any warping. Stitch welding strength doesn't come from the addition of welding wire, but actually comes from the fusion of the sheet metal panels. Overall the whole stitch welding process uses approximately two pounds of wire for a medium sized car. The torsional rigidity gained from the addition of two pounds of material is much better than any strut tower brace or underbody brace can provide.

After the stitch welding procedure the car will have a lower degree of twist under a torsional load, there is no guarantee that the degrees of twist will decrease by X% as every car responds differently to the stitch welding process. Some cars are very poorly spot welded from the factory, while others are done very well, Also the overall age/condition of the car will determine how well it responds to stitch welding work. After the service, the seams will be thoroughly protected from the elements and will not be left open to corrosion.

Key Benefits
More predictable handling
Quicker response in handling
Less interior noises (creaking and squeaking)
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
mestizo
Zilvia Junkie

mestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the roughmestizo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfreestyle View Post
mestizo... where did you get those strut tower plates??
Jonnie fraz made them for me to raise my Carbing strut tower bar to clear my S14 SR valve cover. However now I am running a prototype bar that Jonnie made me which clears the valve cover and attaches to the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_JDM View Post
lmao...

and mestizo, your engine bay looks as if it's been taken over by slugs, lol. It's nice to see that method of stitchwelding though... very strong. I'll stick with my little spot welds though. I really can't see where one has an advantage over another. Either way, "shit ain't flexin".
Yup ur right about the slugs lol. It does help in either style of stitching.

92 S13 Coupe Track Car
mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM   #19
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
don't mean to bump an old thread but i felt like i should post here before starting a new thread ………..

for those that have stitch welded/seam welded does it have a NOTICEABLE impact on the cars handling/stiffness ? in theory it sounds like it should, I would like to get some opinions for those who have done so.
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #20
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

bumppppppppppp
Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #21
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick Ritter View Post
bumppppppppppp
Jesus christ
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im in the process of doing this. Just got a Hobart 140. Have a couple pieces of the same material ill be stitch welding to practice on. Any recommendations? Ill start in areas that are least visible.
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #23
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
I brought this welder!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-MIG...475445?vxp=mtr

and it looks like iam going to get the rest of my body painted first before I get the engine bay done. also any pointers I should be looking at?
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #24
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
I brought this welder!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-MIG...475445?vxp=mtr

and it looks like iam going to get the rest of my body painted first before I get the engine bay done. also any pointers I should be looking at?
im stitching first, then painting.
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #25
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Jesus christ
this is why i ask….chill

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19728.0 <----click on first link in that article

i know its only one test and its on a Z car but still he lost "stiffness" by almost 10%…………... so I'm curious to all those that are doing this if they really think it helps or not.

Last edited by nick Ritter; 01-09-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Old 01-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick Ritter View Post
this is why i ask….chill

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=19728.0 <----click on first like in that article

i know its only one test and its on a Z car but still he lost "stiffness" by almost 10%…………... so I'm curious to all those that are doing this if they really think it helps or not.
If you have the time go for it, but for some grassroots car thats gonna hit parking lots and small scale events, I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just weld the whole car!

It's better for daily driving... Lol
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
so still no testimony??
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
so still no testimony??
Read post #17.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #30
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, i learned alot from post #17 and im not even stitch welding. lol

i like learning things and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote