Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #61
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have actually seen 1 or 2 decent plasti dip jobs but they were satin and none were gloss. 1 was on a Maserati Quatrop and the other a Audi rs 4 both done in Blue. Most i have seen looked textured and do look shitty. I would not use dip at all in an area that has 4 seasons.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #62
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Maestro View Post
Then you haven't seen a properly done autoflexed car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM216S14 View Post
You're right none of us have, because they don't exist.....
Quote:
This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Thats because there are a handful of us on this forum that actually know the difference between what you got - and what we got.

For example, you say you paid "way less" than 2-3k. And in the end, you got exactly what you paid for.

Conversely, I paid about 2500 in materials and another 3500 in labor, and I got what you would call - a proper paint job. Interior, exterior, engine bay - the entire chassis. Not wrap, dip, or paint job that when you open your hood, you see one color, or when you remove interior panels - another color, etc, etc, etc...

I am not trying to be a dick here and call you out, but you are setting yourself up for looking like an ass. You have a nice NEW-ish car that you're fucking up because you're making bad decisions. Its great that you're posting your review here, but you can do that on yelp and in a million other places nowadays. Besides, most people on Zilvia are probably lucky to even have body panels, let alone matching painted panels.

Enjoy your Z, but I have a feeling that years from now you'll have regrets for doing things the way you did and will wish that you did them differently.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #63
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
You fucking idiots are missing the entire point here. His car did not turn out the way it did because of plasti dip. Try to comprehend that extremely simple concept. If the person who paint this car used actual paint, it still would have turned out like shit. Let THAT sink in. The most expensive paint in the world would have still resulted in OP's car looking as bad as it does because the work was rushed and half assed and the person doing the work possesses little to no skill. In fact, if "real paint" HAD been used, fixing this shotty work would have been tremendously more difficult.

You guys are so pathetically closed minded to see past your "I don't like plasti dip so I'm gonna cry about it" mentality.
Had he gotten this car painted by the same place sure it would have been just as fucked up. But even the best dip jobs can never stand up to a decent paint job. Had he taken it to a shop with a skilled person correcting all the issues you bet your ass the best paint world in the world would have looked better. One issue here though is if you get a fucked up dip/paint job from someone, what makes you think it will ever end up coming out ok after getting the fucked up dip/paint removed by the same person?

Thanks to the OP for posting his misfortune up here, hopefully this stops someone else from going this same route. That is one of the great powers of honest reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #64
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Have you tried taking your 370Z to your local Nissan dealership and telling them that something is wrong with your paint?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #65
Dman II-40
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
Dman II-40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Have you tried taking your 370Z to your local Nissan dealership and telling them that something is wrong with your paint?
It would probably catch on fire....

Then who will fix it?
Dman II-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #66
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Well there's clearly two separate issues here:

1) Shitty prep and spray work
2) Shitty autoflex product

This of course means you received a shitty job multiplied by the power of infinity, and it shows.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #67
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Had he gotten this car painted by the same place sure it would have been just as fucked up.
I dont get it though. He paid "way less" than 2-3k. So does that mean he paid 1k? For 1k, I think his car looks acceptable.

On one hand, we are looking for the deal of a century. I want my car to look awesome and only pay a fraction of what it costs for a proper job. And on the other hand, I want to bitch and complain about it because it wasnt done right.

This shop is no different than any other Maaco, Earl Scheib, etc. Simply put, the owner was just naive. Good luck in court though. By the time thats all said and done, hopefully you would have done more research and found a better shop. Preferably one that shoots paint.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #68
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
hellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhossain View Post
I'm curious as to how much this cost you initially. When I was pretty young, I had a car painted at Maaco and it was worse than this. Lesson learned there. I wouldn't have expected much better from plastidipping a car no matter who does it. Now what really sucks is to what happened to the paint when removed. Thats what I would be freaking out about.
I've actually had good results with Maaco on previous cars I didn't care too much about. It really varies from location to location. Had an e30 sprayed for $800 and it WAY better than I expected. No overspray or imperfections. You can't expect much from any paint job under $2000 if you are paying a shop to do it.

Paint > Dip, anyday.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #69
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslows13 View Post
I've actually had good results with Maaco on previous cars I didn't care too much about. It really varies from location to location. Had an e30 sprayed for $800 and it WAY better than I expected. No overspray or imperfections.
it came out WAY better than you expected because you are the demographic they cater to: someone who doesnt know better or expect much.

when you learn the differences between the different types of paint, the different methods of repair, and what it takes to properly paint a vehicle - you tend to look at things more critically. As opposed to "looks good enough for me."

Try color sanding some shitty single stage paint, let me know how that goes for you.
Try doing PDR on a panel that has a thick layer of bondo, good luck to you.

theres no quick/cheap paint job
Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #70
///Maestro

Trader Rating: (0)
///Maestro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It was skeptical at first for me as well. But If you're promised something is going to come out one way, without any negative repercussions, then why not try it?
It doesn't matter if I paid 5 dollars or 5,000, the job should have been done right and I've SEEN work done WAY better for the same price I paid.
Autoflex jobs go for 1500-2000, FYI.

This isn't my first rodeo with cars, I've modded several cars and know what real paint costs and what "good work" entails. This is a new product that I was willing to try. Obviously with lies and misinformation, mistakes were made, and it came out like shit. I'll stand by what I've said though: Some autoflexed cars look amazing.

Unfortunately some people in this thread still won't know the difference between regular dip and autoflex.

And quite frankly, I don't care about anyone trolling or attacking me about this issue. I didn't have to write this review, I chose to do it to help others.

My car will be getting wrapped, and it will be done by one of the best shops on the east coast.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #71
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Unfortunately some people in this thread still won't know the difference between regular dip and autoflex.
We do know the difference, but at the end of the day it is still plastidip. There is a reason that a lot of the advertising cars for Autoflex are wet in the pictures or use colors like iridescent that make imperfections harder to spot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/plastidip/c...rmanent_paint/

That is great.
Quote:

Last edited by zerodameaon; 06-28-2016 at 12:18 PM..
Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #72
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #73
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, this sucks. I can't believe that you found a less expensive version of something that's already fairly and comparatively inexpensive and after it was all said and done, the end result was less than extraordinary. I am truly surprised by that happening in this particular situation.

So, I read that you said someone that dropped off their car after you picked it up before you. Can you hotlink us to their thread post, or post up the pictures of how horrible their car looks as well? I imagine that if the 11 days they held your car hostage was a rush job, then the less than that they had the other person's car had to be like super light speed rush. That person's car has to look HORRIBLE. Did you take pictures of all of the other cars that look horrible as well. I'd just like to see how much horrible work they put out. Reason being, there's power in numbers, and if you can get more examples of how horrible their work is, it goes much further in court...which is where you should DEFINITELY take these guys.

I'd contact BBB as well. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, they ruined your car. I'm not a professional body guy, but it looks like you only have 2 options at this point. You'd either have to wrap it, or paint it; both of which will accomplish almost the same thing you already did...just a more expensive version of it and hopefully a better version of it. And I'm not saying that as a dig to plasti-dip or it's less expensive alternative. I'm just hoping that they next place you go takes better care of your car and actually gets the job right. And, not being a body guy, I gotta imagine that if 11 days was a rush job with a something that doesn't take as much prep work as traditional paint, you'll probably be out of your car for a solid month for a guy to take their time and do it right....again...going off the 11 day rush job. When you do take these guys to court, I would also have them pay for a supplemental vehicle for the time your car will be down.

And I'm not sure how you paint over a crack in a wing, or any fiberglass part, for that matter, but, kudos to them for that. Amirite? I can't conceive painting over a crack without filling that crack first, but it seems like a cool idea I suppose. Get that thrown in there too. Or at least I would.

These guys suck. Friggin amateurs.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #74
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
This thread should be in the regional forums anyways since it pertains to a company in a particular area of the country, not with the product itself.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #75
///Maestro

Autoflexed BMW (NOT DONE BY DIPONE)

It's tough to tell how well this actually came out because, in pictures, you can't see the nitty gritty details. But this looks absolutely fantastic, as well as blue 370z previously posted by a forum member here.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #76
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
It's tough to tell how well this actually came out because, in pictures, you can't see the nitty gritty details. But this looks absolutely fantastic, as well as blue 370z previously posted by a forum member here.
Dude, you are not doing anyone any favors by posting photos of dipped cars, or even painted cars online. The details just dont show. If you want to judge the outcome of a refinished car, do it in person - thats the only way to tell if it looks good or not.

You do realize that years ago, we had a thread on a car being painted with a paint roller? It was then color-sanded and polished and again, online, it looked OK.

This shit should be moved to regional
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #77
///Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Dude, you are not doing anyone any favors by posting photos of dipped cars, or even painted cars online. The details just dont show. If you want to judge the outcome of a refinished car, do it in person - thats the only way to tell if it looks good or not.

You do realize that years ago, we had a thread on a car being painted with a paint roller? It was then color-sanded and polished and again, online, it looked OK.

Just stop commenting?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #78
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:

[IM://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13521906_1025286204176046_5567060701374472346_n.jp g?oh=acce106f77c462c83b87af089202b580&oe=5809F670[/IMG]

[://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13516658_1025286230842710_7088029044880961080_n.jp g?oh=9c6cc2a0708ba705d8cb1fafe5507e21&oe=57F6D145[/IMG]

You can see the reflection of the sun looks chunky as fuck. Dipped cars look good in photos..... Put a painted car near a dip job in real life not internet fantasy land and there is no comparison.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #79
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/craig-f...eum-and-roller

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2012/h...without-a-gun/

boom and boom

STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #80
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Dipped my car last night turned out pretty good

JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #81
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
I just went over to that Maaco thread because someone bumped it up. However, for 300 bux, it looks pretty decent over the internet. And there's people that have had their's on for a while now. Pretty neat option if you can get it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #82
bluz370
Zilvia Junkie

bluz370 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it DOES matter what you paid for it. I am assuming you paid 500-750 and the materials alone to do this cost around 400 dollars. It takes a good 20 hours to do this job right.

NOW.. this is a simple equation, and follows the adage of "you get what you pay for".

Materials - 400
Labor - 100-250
Labor/hr - 5-12.50

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want someone who is willing to provide a service for $5.00-10.00 dollars an hour doing a job like this on my car. I typically try to do this analysis for services so that I can make an educated decision.
bluz370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #83
evomike
Zilvia Member

evomike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Well, for starters, when he requested and paid for them to repair his wing, and they confirmed it as being fixed, I think he expected, at the very least, for the wing to be fixed. But maybe that just makes too much sense...

Did you actually watch the videos? Shit masking job? There were parts where white was visible, there were parts where paint shouldn't have been(ie the hood vents), and there were giant ass runs in the paint. Shitty plasti dip or not, if you're a professional or even mediocre paint business, you should avoid those issues at the very least. If it happens, because mistakes do happen, it shouldn't be a problem for them to sand it back smooth and respray that section before laying the clear down.

You guys are a bunch of fucking assholes. OP came here to warn others. He didn't have to do that, but he did it to help. Don't like plastidip? Get the fuck over it. It isn't your car or your money. Even with the shit dip job that car looks significantly better than most or your heaps of dog shit you call a car.
sounds like nobody here needs to be warned, he went to a hack shop and got a hack job. i would expect runs and poor masking from a shop like this because if they could spray without runs and precision mask they wouldnt be in some shit plasti dip shop.
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #84
evomike
Zilvia Member

Quote:

the details show enough to see how peely that dip is, it probably looks no better than his when you get up on top of it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #85
evomike
Zilvia Member

Quote:

this dip looks about the quality yours does, in these pics i see awful orange peel a ton of dry spots and im sure if i saw it in real life id see runs
Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #86
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
this dip looks about the quality yours does, in these pics i see awful orange peel a ton of dry spots and im sure if i saw it in real life id see runs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYS95dksNj8

Go to 3:20, you can see some issues right away.
Quote:

Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #87
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

Do you mean orange peal?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #88
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftsucky View Post
Do you mean orange peal?
It is more then just orange peel. It is major imperfections and drips.
Quote:

Old 06-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #89
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

It's hard for people to know what a good finish looks like when they've been dealing with mismatched spray painted panels their entire lives. I mean I get it, if you are trying to be Instagram famous and just want your shit spray bombed in plasticrap every year in a new color for the cheap, go for it. But don't sit here scouring the internet for a dip job that is comparable to a professional paint job...
Old 06-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #90
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
It's hard for people to know what a good finish looks like when they've been dealing with mismatched spray painted panels their entire lives. I mean I get it, if you are trying to be Instagram famous and just want your shit spray bombed in plasticrap every year in a new color for the cheap, go for it. But don't sit here scouring the internet for a dip job that is comparable to a professional paint job...

But that tool from DYC says its better then paint, why should I not believe some YouTube snake oil salesman?
Quote: