Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
mrtwoforty

Trader Rating: (0)
mrtwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 S13 Manual Steering Rack Problems...

So i picked up an ka24de s13 and the power steering lines are all screwed up, to the point where I would have to buy all new lines, and that would cost money. Since I am cheap I was thinking I would just convert it to a "manual steering rack". I was going to loop the lines and stick a small reservoir on. Now the problem is that the belt that goes to the ps pump also goes to the water pump so I cant just take it off. Wondering if anybody knows what belt I would need fit only around the water pump pulley. Also if anybody knows a nice small reservoir that would be good for this let me know!

Thanks
mrtwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Looping the lines is not the correct way to have a manual rack. It's a good way to have your steering mess up and put your car in a wall. There are write ups on the correct way to convert the rack to manual operation.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
mrtwoforty

Trader Rating: (0)
mrtwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Even if i where to do that do you know what to do about the belt for the ps Pump?
mrtwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
google it. You can use ka24e parts to do a power steering delete.

Or buy the xcessive kit.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
riprodder
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (30)
riprodder is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
google it. You can use ka24e parts to do a power steering delete.

Or buy the xcessive kit.
He is correct. I'm currently running a de-powered steering rack on my 91. The steering feels a little heavier but you can compensate for it a bit by over inflating the front tires some. I run mine at 32psi for reference. You'll need the alternator brackets and the thermostat housing from a KA24E. That will position the alt in the right place. You also have to grind a small clearance notch in the upper bracket for belt clearance. As for the belt I don't remember the length but I couldn't find a 3-rib one that was the right length, so i bought a 4-rib belt and removed a rib with a razor knife. For the rack itself, just remove the two small lines on the rear of it and you'll be fine. This keeps it from pressurizing either of the chambers in there so you can turn it freely. There is also a large lock nut and a small adjuster nut on the back of the rack. You will need to back the tension all the way off and then re-tighten it about 1 turn for just a little tension. Otherwise it will be really difficult to turn.

That being said. I personally wouldn't do it again and my spring project is to restore the power steering. Good luck with your project.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by riprodder View Post
You'll need the alternator brackets and the thermostat housing from a KA24E. That will position the alt in the right place. You also have to grind a small clearance notch in the upper bracket for belt clearance.
This is correct. You also need the water pump pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprodder View Post
For the rack itself, just remove the two small lines on the rear of it and you'll be fine. This keeps it from pressurizing either of the chambers in there so you can turn it freely. There is also a large lock nut and a small adjuster nut on the back of the rack. You will need to back the tension all the way off and then re-tighten it about 1 turn for just a little tension. Otherwise it will be really difficult to turn.
This is absolutely wrong, and it is not how you properly depower a rack. Depowering it involves taking it completely apart. I have a properly depowered rack and it feels great. The car was my daily throughout winter and I never regretted it.