Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #31
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
doridoridori is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
What? When a headgasket fails, catastrophic failure, oil and water will mix. If you have a small fissure, you can leak compression into coolant without mixing. Most of the time a head gasket fails, it's always a milk shake.
yup no engine is above those symptoms if it gets bad enough. I'm going to assume in my situation there has to be a very small leak. I drove the car today but it was raining so i didn't even get into boost at all. Normally for it to creep up to 210F+ it takes about a 10min drive which is about how much i drove it today. Without getting into boost it didn't even get hot. When I was on my street right before I got home i got into boost one time and the gauge went from 185F to 200F just like that so there has to be a small leak in the HG. Still want to do a leakdown test to confirm that 100% though.
doridoridori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #32
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Hydrocarbon test will confirm a blown head gasket.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #33
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Hydrocarbon test will confirm a blown head gasket.
true, even a slight leak? either way i'll have to do that tomorrow or friday hopefully. Really don't want it to be a HG but if it is then I need to get it fixed asap
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #34
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
The answers to your questions have been stated.

I had the same problem when I did my very first SR. Isis aluminum radiator, Mishimoto dual 12” e-fans. Overheated exactly as you’re describing, and got even worse going up hill.

I thought it was a blown HG until I realized that e-fans are fucking retarded. Buy a OEM clutch fan and a fan shroud for <$100 and ditch the e-fans. Don’t skip out on the shroud because the fan won’t do anything without ducting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #35
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if you get quality e fans and properly wire in a relay its fine...most people skimp on the relay and fans and think its ok...Altima fans are good...autozone/oriellys 30$ special are not...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #36
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
if you get quality e fans and properly wire in a relay its fine...most people skimp on the relay and fans and think its ok...Altima fans are good...autozone/oriellys 30$ special are not...

I believe Mishimoto is quite good and reputable. Either way, nothing will beat the stock clutch fan. Keeps my SR around 70 Celsius even on hot ass days.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #37
the shocker

Trader Rating: (0)
the shocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
I believe Mishimoto is quite good and reputable. Either way, nothing will beat the stock clutch fan. Keeps my SR around 70 Celsius even on hot ass days.

Mishimoto being quite good.... well I personally couldn't agree with that just seeing the build quality beside a mishimoto, ebay, and a koyo. The mishi and ebay were about the same, the koyo was much better.
As a plus if you get the N-flo from koyo you get a triple pass rad which is sweet. You are definitely right that if you want good cooling keep a clutch fan and oe shroud. That's what I try and tell most people. Unfortunately the clutch fan wouldn't work in my application so the taurus fan is what I use now after using the mishimoto fans and shroud...
the shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #38
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Either way, nothing will beat the stock clutch fan. Keeps my SR around 70 Celsius even on hot ass days.

clutch fan is what keeps my rb cool even in the hottest days here in TX. LOve to hear that thing hum after a spirited drive! I am now planning on building a shroud for it.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #39
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
clutch fan is what keeps my rb cool even in the hottest days here in TX. LOve to hear that thing hum after a spirited drive! I am now planning on building a shroud for it.

+1 for the clutch fan on RB Schassis. What shroud are you using to modify? I was planning on trying a R33 GTST one... not sure yet though
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM   #40
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
+1 for the clutch fan on RB Schassis. What shroud are you using to modify? I was planning on trying a R33 GTST one... not sure yet though
I went to the junkyard today and actually looked around the import section for a shroud that could be modified.
I found a mecedes 500 sec that has a very slim shroud and the radiator is around the same dimensions. I might have to buy that one to experiment with. The only problem is that the actual fan blade hole is too centered, whereas the rb's sits more towards the passenger (usdm) side. I also did a search on "500 sec fan shroud" and it shows two different kind of shrouds, the one that I saw, and another one with the blade hole a little offset, so I might have to look into that.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #41
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
I went to the junkyard today and actually looked around the import section for a shroud that could be modified.
I found a mecedes 500 sec that has a very slim shroud and the radiator is around the same dimensions. I might have to buy that one to experiment with. The only problem is that the actual fan blade hole is too centered, whereas the rb's sits more towards the passenger (usdm) side. I also did a search on "500 sec fan shroud" and it shows two different kind of shrouds, the one that I saw, and another one with the blade hole a little offset, so I might have to look into that.

That’s very interesting. Let me know what you end up doing! Gonna need a good ducting setup this summer for my RB.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #42
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
The answers to your questions have been stated.

I had the same problem when I did my very first SR. Isis aluminum radiator, Mishimoto dual 12” e-fans. Overheated exactly as you’re describing, and got even worse going up hill.

I thought it was a blown HG until I realized that e-fans are fucking retarded. Buy a OEM clutch fan and a fan shroud for <$100 and ditch the e-fans. Don’t skip out on the shroud because the fan won’t do anything without ducting.

turns out it is the HG slight leak but nothing crazy, soon as i get more funds i'll get arp head studs and probably a stock hg over a metal one. Looks like when the engine was imported it came with a metal HG but the stock head bolts were reused so probably stretched. Either way i'll have to knock this out soon
Old 10-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

If you need a head gasket I have a Tomei stock spec ready to ship

Old 10-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #44
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
If you need a head gasket I have a Tomei stock spec ready to ship

might take you up on that, BNIB i assume?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #45
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doridoridori View Post
might take you up on that, BNIB i assume?

Yep. Planned on using it on my hatch but I went RB before I had the chance. Check my for sale thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #46
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxguy08 View Post
Just tossing this out there because my buddy had this issue one time and after a few hours of checking basically what everyone has said already I was checking all the hoses and one of the hoses that he had used to bypass his heater core had a small kink in it restricting flow, it was very hard to see but once I changed the hose with one that fit better the temps were a-lot better after that.
Didnt think of this, though I have a KA im seeing similar temps as OP in Florida. My buddies say they run 176f basically all day on there cars no problem but they have ebay aluminum and altima fans while I got Mishimoto fan shround and koyo. Got stock Tstat as well.

Ive got a circuit sports fan controller and im seeing temps for a short drive 15-20 to work I get to around 84c(183) regularlly on my drive to work in the morning. Then when I go to school about 10 miles away taking mostly I highway I hit 90-94c(194-201f) always and if Im driving a lot it will creep up to 95-97.

Also noticed if I drive and let it cool down then go to start it sorta like when I go out to our meets, hang out for a few hours and start the car but dont turn on the fan once it hits OP temp at 70-74c I will wait a bit and my temp gauge on the cluster is reading fairly hot and my gauge looks to be lagging behind. I did notice im not getting a reading on one of my probes for my fan controller. So could be my temp for oil is 194-201f which is normal for oil being 10-20 degrees warm than coolant or maybe my oil temp gauge got damage when I replaced the filter recently... The wires are so brittle.

First I'll see which sensor im reading, switch to water wetter and distilled instead of 50/50 mix and get one of those coolant funnels since i've herd good things about those.

R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #47
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yep. Planned on using it on my hatch but I went RB before I had the chance. Check my for sale thread

roger that, i commented on it so i can view it later on. Should be starting a new job here pretty soon so if you have it in a few weeks won't mind buying it once i get the money.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #48
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doridoridori View Post
roger that, i commented on it so i can view it later on. Should be starting a new job here pretty soon so if you have it in a few weeks won't mind buying it once i get the money.

Sounds good. My number is on the ad contact me whenever you’re ready to purchase

Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #49
doridoridori
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Sounds good. My number is on the ad contact me whenever you’re ready to purchase

perfect will do